Latest ATI AIW cards - Do they still use sound card for au..

Jim

I was wondering if the ATI capture cards still use the computer sound
card for audio input? This causes loss of audio/video sync in certain
capture scenarios, a bummer. Just wondering if they ever did it
right yet or are they still cheaping it out?.

The most recent drivers no longer use the soundcard, you can unplug the
connector between the video card and soundcard now... I've got a AIW 9800
Pro and it works fine with that card so I would expect the more recent ones
to work in the same way too.

"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
>I was wondering if the ATI capture cards still use the computer sound
> card for audio input? This causes loss of audio/video sync in certain
> capture scenarios, a bummer. Just wondering if they ever did it
> right yet or are they still cheaping it out?.

Jim

Hi Mick;

I wonder if you have done any captures with your 9800 from TV, have
the audio and video stayed in sync even during long captures? If you
do an MPEG-2 capture from TV, can you tell me just what file extension
you get on the saved file? Is it .mpg or .mp2?

I would like to upgrade my card if they got all the damn problems
fixed, have been fighting this card for several years now and it seems
always some problem or other crops up.

From what you said, capturing from the TV you don't even need the LINE
IN on the sound card, so apparently ATI finally is able to get the
sound from the video directly without going through the sound card, is
that correct?

THanks for your reply.

> Hi Mick;
>
> I wonder if you have done any captures with your 9800 from TV, have
> the audio and video stayed in sync even during long captures? If you
> do an MPEG-2 capture from TV, can you tell me just what file extension
> you get on the saved file? Is it .mpg or .mp2?

I got the 9600aiw, capture extension is .mpg....

audio appears to stay in sync...

only captured 5 minutes or so..

xman