help XP and WinME p2p 2 computer network

mgm

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002

I setting up a 2 computer network. A laptop (winXP home) and a Dell Desktop
running WinME. There is no domain involved, only a workgroup. WinXP sees
and is able to access alll of ME's files without any problem. ME "sees" the
xp box but the only user isn't able to access any of her files on the xp
box? Both user names are the same and have the same password on both
computers. This sounds like a permissions problem. How do I config the
permission on both pc's so that the user can access her files on the XP box
from the ME box?
Thank you

Malke

mgm wrote:

> I setting up a 2 computer network. A laptop (winXP home) and a Dell
> Desktop
> running WinME. There is no domain involved, only a workgroup. WinXP
> sees and is able to access alll of ME's files without any problem. ME
> "sees" the xp box but the only user isn't able to access any of her
> files on the xp box? Both user names are the same and have the same
> password on both
> computers. This sounds like a permissions problem. How do I config
> the permission on both pc's so that the user can access her files on
> the XP box from the ME box?
> Thank you

The easiest way is to run the Network Setup Wizard on the XP machine.
Follow the instructions.

Other things to consider:

1. Make sure all firewalls are configured properly to allow the lan.
2. XP Home does not allow sharing of the My Documents or Program Files
folder. Put files to be shared in the Shared Documents folder instead.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

mgm

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002

"XP Home does not allow sharing of the My Documents or Program Files
folder. Put files to be shared in the Shared Documents folder instead."

Malke, you've just answered my question. What I'm attempting is impossible.
I hope the next Windows enviornment can be made more backward compatible.
thanks to all for your efforts..

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> mgm wrote:
>
>> I setting up a 2 computer network. A laptop (winXP home) and a Dell
>> Desktop
>> running WinME. There is no domain involved, only a workgroup. WinXP
>> sees and is able to access alll of ME's files without any problem. ME
>> "sees" the xp box but the only user isn't able to access any of her
>> files on the xp box? Both user names are the same and have the same
>> password on both
>> computers. This sounds like a permissions problem. How do I config
>> the permission on both pc's so that the user can access her files on
>> the XP box from the ME box?
>> Thank you
>
> The easiest way is to run the Network Setup Wizard on the XP machine.
> Follow the instructions.
>
> Other things to consider:
>
> 1. Make sure all firewalls are configured properly to allow the lan.
> 2. XP Home does not allow sharing of the My Documents or Program Files
> folder. Put files to be shared in the Shared Documents folder instead.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

mgm wrote:

> "XP Home does not allow sharing of the My Documents or Program Files
> folder. Put files to be shared in the Shared Documents folder
> instead."
>
> Malke, you've just answered my question. What I'm attempting is
> impossible. I hope the next Windows enviornment can be made more
> backward compatible. thanks to all for your efforts..

I doubt Longhorn will, although I have no idea if there will be
different versions for home and business users, like there are with XP.
If you are using XP for a business, Pro is usually a better choice:

Comparison Guide -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> I setting up a 2 computer network. A laptop (winXP home) and
> a Dell Desktop
> running WinME. There is no domain involved, only a workgroup.
> WinXP sees
> and is able to access alll of ME's files without any problem.
> ME "sees" the
> xp box but the only user isn't able to access any of her files
> on the xp
> box? Both user names are the same and have the same password
> on both
> computers. This sounds like a permissions problem. How do I
> config the
> permission on both pc's so that the user can access her files
> on the XP box
> from the ME box?
> Thank you

If memory servs me well, you have to have true anonmouse access for a
win 9x & ME to access shares on a 2k/xp machein, how ever you should
try setting permisons to "every one alowed" as well

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-help-XP-WinME-p2p-computer-network-ftopict396951.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1309107

mgm

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002

For my small business I do run XP Pro.. I was configuring XP Home for a
client. Home and Pro a very different animals. And the differences keep me
confused most of the time. If this customer had a domain there wouldn't
have been any problem. But most home users aren't in need of domains.
Thanks again to all for input!