Graphics Card for CSS

Hello all, need some advice on what graphics card to buy for no more than
£80. I want to be able to run Counter-Strike Source at a decent frame rate
and have some of the settings turned up at least. Your input would be
greatly appreciated.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

Look for a 9700pro or maybe even a 9800 non-pro on Ebay. That'll cost in
that region and put it with a 2ghz CPU and 1gig of cheap RAM - sweet.

David Barkham wrote:

> Hello all, need some advice on what graphics card to buy for no more than
> £80. I want to be able to run Counter-Strike Source at a decent frame rate
> and have some of the settings turned up at least. Your input would be
> greatly appreciated.

9800 pro

"David Barkham" <putah@putah.plus.com> wrote in message
> Hello all, need some advice on what graphics card to buy for no more than
> £80. I want to be able to run Counter-Strike Source at a decent frame rate
> and have some of the settings turned up at least. Your input would be
> greatly appreciated.

Dabs have some Sapphire 9800 Pro's in stock now for about £81 (incl VAT)
+pnp £87 alltogether.

http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product%20Details.htm?quicklinx=2HGHWS

Don't think that the 9800SE pro is the same card - it's inferior but you'll
see it offered for about the same price.

You need to be a bit careful with Ebay - you often see used cards being bid
up to and beyond the price you would pay online at somewhere like Dabs.
Don't get carried away if you go this route.

This won't help you but I saw a used 9800 pro on a stall in a Computer Fair
at the weekend for .... £50.

Steve P.

On Wed, 11 May 2005 00:02:01 +0100, "steve p" <steveyspam@gnarley.net>
wrote:

>"David Barkham" <putah@putah.plus.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all, need some advice on what graphics card to buy for no more than
>> £80. I want to be able to run Counter-Strike Source at a decent frame rate
>> and have some of the settings turned up at least. Your input would be
>> greatly appreciated.
>>

>Dabs have some Sapphire 9800 Pro's in stock now for about £81 (incl VAT)
>+pnp £87 alltogether.
>
>http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product%20Details.htm?quicklinx=2HGHWS
>

>Don't think that the 9800SE pro is the same card - it's inferior but you'll
>see it offered for about the same price.

Avoid the SE.
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives