Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

access to users files/resources on xp home from a WinME ne..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 17, 2005 4:21:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Please tell me how to allow a user on a winME pc to access her account/files
on a
Winxp home (Sp2) Compac Pressario laptop. The xphome laptop has all
connections mapped via the
'guest" account. (this is a workgroup, not a domain) ?????

Small (2 pc) home workgroup ( no domain)using Cat5 crossover with static IPs
assigned.
Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2005 5:21:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

No possible if the computer running Windows XP has a
hard drive formatted as NTFS.
The only Microsoft operating systems that read NTFS partitions
are Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"mgm" wrote:

| Please tell me how to allow a user on a winME pc to access her account/files
| on a
| Winxp home (Sp2) Compac Pressario laptop. The xphome laptop has all
| connections mapped via the
| 'guest" account. (this is a workgroup, not a domain) ?????
|
| Small (2 pc) home workgroup ( no domain)using Cat5 crossover with static IPs
| assigned.
| Thanks
July 17, 2005 5:21:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> No possible if the computer running Windows XP has a
> hard drive formatted as NTFS.
> The only Microsoft operating systems that read NTFS partitions
> are Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.
>

I think you misunderstood the OP's question. Here's the post:

| Please tell me how to allow a user on a winME pc to access her
account/files
| on a
| Winxp home (Sp2) Compac Pressario laptop. The xphome laptop has all
| connections mapped via the
| 'guest" account. (this is a workgroup, not a domain) ?????
|
| Small (2 pc) home workgroup ( no domain)using Cat5 crossover with
static IPs
| assigned.
| Thanks

They want to share files over a network and the file systems are
irrelevant. To the OP:

Run the Network Setup Wizard on the laptop and follow the directions.
Here are links to help you with home networking:

http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/myths.htm
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/howto/

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Related resources
July 18, 2005 1:24:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thank you Malke.. you hit the nail on the head. WinXP home allows network
connections as a "guest". Meaning that anyone on WinME can read/access the
NTFS "All User" account but not individual user accounts . This is a
permissions issue due to the differences in security. The "network wizzard"
on winXP home mapped the winMe access to the "all user" account which is why
I'm stumped???.

So the question still remains from my original post. If this were and XP pro
box, I would just alter the "guest" account to admin priviledges. But since
XP home hasn't this utility, what do I do?

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:%23izvf3viFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>> No possible if the computer running Windows XP has a
>> hard drive formatted as NTFS.
>> The only Microsoft operating systems that read NTFS partitions
>> are Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.
>>
>
> I think you misunderstood the OP's question. Here's the post:
>
> | Please tell me how to allow a user on a winME pc to access her
> account/files
> | on a
> | Winxp home (Sp2) Compac Pressario laptop. The xphome laptop has all
> | connections mapped via the
> | 'guest" account. (this is a workgroup, not a domain) ?????
> |
> | Small (2 pc) home workgroup ( no domain)using Cat5 crossover with
> static IPs
> | assigned.
> | Thanks
>
> They want to share files over a network and the file systems are
> irrelevant. To the OP:
>
> Run the Network Setup Wizard on the laptop and follow the directions.
> Here are links to help you with home networking:
>
> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/myths.htm
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/howto/
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
July 18, 2005 1:24:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

mgm wrote:

> Thank you Malke.. you hit the nail on the head. WinXP home allows
> network connections as a "guest". Meaning that anyone on WinME can
> read/access the
> NTFS "All User" account but not individual user accounts . This is a
> permissions issue due to the differences in security. The "network
> wizzard" on winXP home mapped the winMe access to the "all user"
> account which is why I'm stumped???.
>
> So the question still remains from my original post. If this were and
> XP pro
> box, I would just alter the "guest" account to admin priviledges. But
> since XP home hasn't this utility, what do I do?
>

I think the easiest way to share files between different operating
systems in such a small network is to:

1. Give the ME box a user account and password if they don't already
have one. Log in using Client for MS Networks, not the Windows Family
Logon. You can automate the logon with TweakUI (get the correct version
for ME, not the XP one).

2. Make an identical user account/password on the XP box. Remember that
XP Home users can't share their My Documents directory, so put files to
be shared in the Shared Documents folder, and enable sharing
accordingly.

If that doesn't help, please post back and tell us exactly what files
need to be shared and their location. Give good details about what you
are trying to do.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
July 19, 2005 8:34:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Sharing steps I've taken
1.) loggon via Client for Networks (ME box)
2.) Duplicate exact user-names for both boxes
3.) shared both roots (C:)  with all users having full access
4.) shared xp's user "My Documents" with all users having full access
5.) mapped all shares on appropriate box
6.) created shortcuts to mapped shares
7-- AHMEN-- ME CAN access the mapped XP user "My Documents", not just the
guest "All user" folder
8) ME cannot access XP program files, local account or favorites or windows
folders.

Whew... Malke, I couldn't have done this without your help... much-o thank
yous... mgm

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:eF1FqR0iFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> mgm wrote:
>
> > Thank you Malke.. you hit the nail on the head. WinXP home allows
> > network connections as a "guest". Meaning that anyone on WinME can
> > read/access the
> > NTFS "All User" account but not individual user accounts . This is a
> > permissions issue due to the differences in security. The "network
> > wizzard" on winXP home mapped the winMe access to the "all user"
> > account which is why I'm stumped???.
> >
> > So the question still remains from my original post. If this were and
> > XP pro
> > box, I would just alter the "guest" account to admin priviledges. But
> > since XP home hasn't this utility, what do I do?
> >
>
> I think the easiest way to share files between different operating
> systems in such a small network is to:
>
> 1. Give the ME box a user account and password if they don't already
> have one. Log in using Client for MS Networks, not the Windows Family
> Logon. You can automate the logon with TweakUI (get the correct version
> for ME, not the XP one).
>
> 2. Make an identical user account/password on the XP box. Remember that
> XP Home users can't share their My Documents directory, so put files to
> be shared in the Shared Documents folder, and enable sharing
> accordingly.
>
> If that doesn't help, please post back and tell us exactly what files
> need to be shared and their location. Give good details about what you
> are trying to do.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
!