access to users files/resources on xp home from a WinME ne..

Please tell me how to allow a user on a winME pc to access her account/files
on a
Winxp home (Sp2) Compac Pressario laptop. The xphome laptop has all
connections mapped via the
'guest" account. (this is a workgroup, not a domain) ?????

Small (2 pc) home workgroup ( no domain)using Cat5 crossover with static IPs
assigned.
Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about access users files resources home winme

    No possible if the computer running Windows XP has a
    hard drive formatted as NTFS.
    The only Microsoft operating systems that read NTFS partitions
    are Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

    > No possible if the computer running Windows XP has a
    > hard drive formatted as NTFS.
    > The only Microsoft operating systems that read NTFS partitions
    > are Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.

    I think you misunderstood the OP's question. Here's the post:

    | Please tell me how to allow a user on a winME pc to access her
    account/files
    | on a
    | Winxp home (Sp2) Compac Pressario laptop. The xphome laptop has all
    | connections mapped via the
    | 'guest" account. (this is a workgroup, not a domain) ?????
    |
    | Small (2 pc) home workgroup ( no domain)using Cat5 crossover with
    static IPs
    | assigned.
    | Thanks

    They want to share files over a network and the file systems are
    irrelevant. To the OP:

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on the laptop and follow the directions.
    Here are links to help you with home networking:

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Thank you Malke.. you hit the nail on the head. WinXP home allows network
    connections as a "guest". Meaning that anyone on WinME can read/access the
    NTFS "All User" account but not individual user accounts . This is a
    permissions issue due to the differences in security. The "network wizzard"
    on winXP home mapped the winMe access to the "all user" account which is why
    I'm stumped???.

    So the question still remains from my original post. If this were and XP pro
    box, I would just alter the "guest" account to admin priviledges. But since
    XP home hasn't this utility, what do I do?

    mgm wrote:

    > Thank you Malke.. you hit the nail on the head. WinXP home allows
    > network connections as a "guest". Meaning that anyone on WinME can
    > read/access the
    > NTFS "All User" account but not individual user accounts . This is a
    > permissions issue due to the differences in security. The "network
    > wizzard" on winXP home mapped the winMe access to the "all user"
    > account which is why I'm stumped???.
    >
    > So the question still remains from my original post. If this were and
    > XP pro
    > box, I would just alter the "guest" account to admin priviledges. But
    > since XP home hasn't this utility, what do I do?

    I think the easiest way to share files between different operating
    systems in such a small network is to:

    1. Give the ME box a user account and password if they don't already
    have one. Log in using Client for MS Networks, not the Windows Family
    Logon. You can automate the logon with TweakUI (get the correct version
    for ME, not the XP one).

    2. Make an identical user account/password on the XP box. Remember that
    XP Home users can't share their My Documents directory, so put files to
    be shared in the Shared Documents folder, and enable sharing
    accordingly.

    If that doesn't help, please post back and tell us exactly what files
    need to be shared and their location. Give good details about what you
    are trying to do.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"

    Sharing steps I've taken
    1.) loggon via Client for Networks (ME box)
    2.) Duplicate exact user-names for both boxes
    3.) shared both roots (C:) with all users having full access
    4.) shared xp's user "My Documents" with all users having full access
    5.) mapped all shares on appropriate box
    6.) created shortcuts to mapped shares
    7-- AHMEN-- ME CAN access the mapped XP user "My Documents", not just the
    guest "All user" folder
    8) ME cannot access XP program files, local account or favorites or windows
    folders.

    Whew... Malke, I couldn't have done this without your help... much-o thank
    yous... mgm

    > mgm wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you Malke.. you hit the nail on the head. WinXP home allows
    > > network connections as a "guest". Meaning that anyone on WinME can
    > > read/access the
    > > NTFS "All User" account but not individual user accounts . This is a
    > > permissions issue due to the differences in security. The "network
    > > wizzard" on winXP home mapped the winMe access to the "all user"
    > > account which is why I'm stumped???.
    > >
    > > So the question still remains from my original post. If this were and
    > > XP pro
    > > box, I would just alter the "guest" account to admin priviledges. But
    > > since XP home hasn't this utility, what do I do?
    > >

    > I think the easiest way to share files between different operating
    > systems in such a small network is to:
    >
    > 1. Give the ME box a user account and password if they don't already
    > have one. Log in using Client for MS Networks, not the Windows Family
    > Logon. You can automate the logon with TweakUI (get the correct version
    > for ME, not the XP one).
    >
    > 2. Make an identical user account/password on the XP box. Remember that
    > XP Home users can't share their My Documents directory, so put files to
    > be shared in the Shared Documents folder, and enable sharing
    > accordingly.
    >
    > If that doesn't help, please post back and tell us exactly what files
    > need to be shared and their location. Give good details about what you
    > are trying to do.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell