Which card to buy? Confused user...

My current graphics card died on me the other day, keep getting blue
screen, and XP keeps telling me it's the graphics card device that is
failing.
Time to get a new card.

There seems to be so many of them around, and I just can't choose.
I play a few games from time to time. I have GTR, Half Life 2, Need for
Speed Underground 2, and thinking of getting SWAT4 next. I wouldn't
mind spending a little on it, but not an arm and a leg. Probably £50-60
range. I have used ATI Radeon series in the past, and usually not had
any problems, so possibly keep with them.

FYI, my main PC specs are

P4 3.0g Prescott on P4P800 motherboard
1GB of Dual DDR memory
2 x 200GB SATA HDD running Raid

I am looking at possibly 9550 Pro, or 9600 pro which both
fit into the bill in terms of prices, and it seems to be coming up on
Ebay a lot. Are these cards any good? Not looking for breathtaking
performance in games. As long as it's good enough to play current
range of games without crash or slow down all the time, that will do me.
If anything else with good stability and reasonable performance can be
achieved, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Get the 9600 Pro

What resolution you running at?

--
Derek

"hairboy" <kkato@naigainitto.co.uk> wrote in message
> My current graphics card died on me the other day, keep getting blue
> screen, and XP keeps telling me it's the graphics card device that is
> failing.
> Time to get a new card.
>
> There seems to be so many of them around, and I just can't choose.
> I play a few games from time to time. I have GTR, Half Life 2, Need for
> Speed Underground 2, and thinking of getting SWAT4 next. I wouldn't
> mind spending a little on it, but not an arm and a leg. Probably £50-60
> range. I have used ATI Radeon series in the past, and usually not had
> any problems, so possibly keep with them.
>
> FYI, my main PC specs are
>
> P4 3.0g Prescott on P4P800 motherboard
> 1GB of Dual DDR memory
> 2 x 200GB SATA HDD running Raid
>
> I am looking at possibly 9550 Pro, or 9600 pro which both
> fit into the bill in terms of prices, and it seems to be coming up on
> Ebay a lot. Are these cards any good? Not looking for breathtaking
> performance in games. As long as it's good enough to play current
> range of games without crash or slow down all the time, that will do me.
> If anything else with good stability and reasonable performance can be
> achieved, please let me know.

9700s are going on ebay for £50-60, and offer most of the performance of a
9800. Much better than a 9600.

Ultra budget option would be a 9500/9500 pro. Certain 9500s can be
softmodded to 9700s, but don't hang your hopes on that as mine didn't.

On Tue, 10 May 2005 23:32:21 +0100, "Martin Francis"
<mcsalty@hotmail.com> wrote:

>9700s are going on ebay for £50-60, and offer most of the performance of a
>9800. Much better than a 9600.

There's a lot of 9800 Pros around cheap(ish).

eg

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=7407998098&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=47511
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives

I run 1024x768, usually.

"Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> "hairboy" <kkato@naigainitto.co.uk> wrote in message
>> My current graphics card died on me the other day, keep getting blue
>> screen, and XP keeps telling me it's the graphics card device that is
>> failing.
>> Time to get a new card.
>>
>> There seems to be so many of them around, and I just can't choose.
>> I play a few games from time to time. I have GTR, Half Life 2, Need for
>> Speed Underground 2, and thinking of getting SWAT4 next. I wouldn't
>> mind spending a little on it, but not an arm and a leg. Probably $B!W(B50-60
>> range. I have used ATI Radeon series in the past, and usually not had
>> any problems, so possibly keep with them.
>>
>> FYI, my main PC specs are
>>
>> P4 3.0g Prescott on P4P800 motherboard
>> 1GB of Dual DDR memory
>> 2 x 200GB SATA HDD running Raid
>>
>> I am looking at possibly 9550 Pro, or 9600 pro which both
>> fit into the bill in terms of prices, and it seems to be coming up on
>> Ebay a lot. Are these cards any good? Not looking for breathtaking
>> performance in games. As long as it's good enough to play current
>> range of games without crash or slow down all the time, that will do me.
>> If anything else with good stability and reasonable performance can be
>> achieved, please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>

> What resolution you running at?
>
> --
> Derek

I keep seeing a lot of Peak 9800 Pro. Never heard of
Peak but I assume they use the 9800 chipset. Is it
the number that's important? All 9700 I could find are
128MB. Are 9600 Pro 256MB no better, or am I missing
something?

Like I said, I don't know which one to get, but do different
brands, (non ATI Radeon cards, for example) make much
difference?

Thanks

wrote:

>"hairboy" <kkato@naigainitto.co.uk> wrote in message
>> My current graphics card died on me the other day, keep getting blue
>> screen, and XP keeps telling me it's the graphics card device that is
>> failing.
>> Time to get a new card.
And you'll listen to a machine ?

If I did that I'd replace the machine every few weeks. Try reseating by
removing and reinstalling the different cards and connectors. Short of a
meltdown most electronics are built for the long haul. It's probably the only
thing they haven't found a way to build in automatic obsolescence yet. Takes
awhile to do it, but it's a lot cheaper than a new card.

Doesn't mean the stuff doesn't fail, but it's 99% more likely a connector has
jiggled loose.

Only reason I mention it is because we have almost the same setup and my NEW
9800 failed weeks after it was installed. Reseated it and things were back to
normal.

If you didn't see a flash, hear a pop, or smell something burning.. You
probably didn't have a circuit board failure.

>> There seems to be so many of them around, and I just can't choose.
>> I play a few games from time to time. I have GTR, Half Life 2, Need for
>> Speed Underground 2, and thinking of getting SWAT4 next. I wouldn't
>> mind spending a little on it, but not an arm and a leg. Probably £50-60
>> range. I have used ATI Radeon series in the past, and usually not had
>> any problems, so possibly keep with them.
>>
>> FYI, my main PC specs are
>>
>> P4 3.0g Prescott on P4P800 motherboard
>> 1GB of Dual DDR memory
>> 2 x 200GB SATA HDD running Raid
>>
>> I am looking at possibly 9550 Pro, or 9600 pro which both
>> fit into the bill in terms of prices, and it seems to be coming up on
>> Ebay a lot. Are these cards any good? Not looking for breathtaking
>> performance in games. As long as it's good enough to play current
>> range of games without crash or slow down all the time, that will do me.
>> If anything else with good stability and reasonable performance can be
>> achieved, please let me know.
>
>9700s are going on ebay for £50-60, and offer most of the performance of a
>9800. Much better than a 9600.
>
>Ultra budget option would be a 9500/9500 pro. Certain 9500s can be
>softmodded to 9700s, but don't hang your hopes on that as mine didn't.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

>I keep seeing a lot of Peak 9800 Pro. Never heard of
> Peak but I assume they use the 9800 chipset. Is it
> the number that's important? All 9700 I could find are
> 128MB. Are 9600 Pro 256MB no better, or am I missing
> something?
>
> Like I said, I don't know which one to get, but do different
> brands, (non ATI Radeon cards, for example) make much
> difference?
>
> Thanks

Check out this article on Toms Hardware
http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html
the 9700 has 8 pipelines and 256bit memory bandwidth to the 9600s 4 and
128bit
which makes the 9700 a much better card - 128mb or 256mb of memory makes
very
little differance.
I run HL2 at 1024x768 high detail settings (by default) on my XP2400, 1gb
DDR, 9700
very sweetly. I dont worry about AA or AF or I'd buy a 9800pro.

wookie

Try dusting off your old video card and see if that could be the problem.
If you want to go on the cheap then a 9800 Pro would be good .. if you want
cheaper then a 9600
NVIDIA 6200 cards are pretty good for their price range too.

"hairboy" <kkato@naigainitto.co.uk> wrote in message
> My current graphics card died on me the other day, keep getting blue
> screen, and XP keeps telling me it's the graphics card device that is
> failing.
> Time to get a new card.
>
> There seems to be so many of them around, and I just can't choose.
> I play a few games from time to time. I have GTR, Half Life 2, Need for
> Speed Underground 2, and thinking of getting SWAT4 next. I wouldn't
> mind spending a little on it, but not an arm and a leg. Probably £50-60
> range. I have used ATI Radeon series in the past, and usually not had
> any problems, so possibly keep with them.
>
> FYI, my main PC specs are
>
> P4 3.0g Prescott on P4P800 motherboard
> 1GB of Dual DDR memory
> 2 x 200GB SATA HDD running Raid
>
> I am looking at possibly 9550 Pro, or 9600 pro which both
> fit into the bill in terms of prices, and it seems to be coming up on
> Ebay a lot. Are these cards any good? Not looking for breathtaking
> performance in games. As long as it's good enough to play current
> range of games without crash or slow down all the time, that will do me.
> If anything else with good stability and reasonable performance can be
> achieved, please let me know.
>
> Thanks in advance

Note; a 9800 will run nearly twice as fast as a 9600.

Expect to pay heaps for a decent card.

Of course you don't have to get the latest and greatest card to play
all the best games, any Nvidia 5700 or the much better IMO 9600
Pro/XL will run the likes of Far Cry with sea water so clear that you
can see the bottom and the tiny bubbles washing up onto the sand.

But if your prepared to give away a heap of quality, a cheap 5200
"will" run the same game just with less video options picked if your
system is up to it, the game will still play OK but you won't be
seeing the bottom of the ocean and mountains 1 mile away won't be
green until you get closer.

A 9600 Pro will do it and any other game and does not cost the earth,
just remember a 9800 is twice as good, literally.