BU to external disk failure - Pagefile & NTUser

[This followup was posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

I have a client with XP home who is attempting to backup from "C" to
external disk. This is straight copy/paste (no bu program) Some folders
taken individually will copy ok but selection of entire disk fails with
one or two error messages as follows: 1. pagefile is in use by another
program, 2. NTuser - wording not available at this time. Do not know at
this time if user is administrator or ? Can anyone advise me of what to
do for fix. TIA.

Cliffp
3 answers Last reply
More about external disk failure pagefile ntuser

    Clifford R Powell wrote:
    > [This followup was posted to
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin and a copy was sent to the
    > cited author.]
    >
    > I have a client with XP home who is attempting to backup from "C" to
    > external disk. This is straight copy/paste (no bu program) Some
    > folders
    > taken individually will copy ok but selection of entire disk fails
    > with
    > one or two error messages as follows: 1. pagefile is in use by another
    > program, 2. NTuser - wording not available at this time. Do not know
    > at
    > this time if user is administrator or ? Can anyone advise me of what
    > do for fix. TIA.

    Reboot the computer and not be logged on during the backup and/or exclude
    the pagefile (you don't need/want to backup that anyway) and the in-use
    (because they are logged on) NTUSER.DAT file of the currently logged on
    user.

    In other words - if the file is in use - and if they are logged on - many
    will be - a straight backup copy just won't do it.

    Some thoughts on backing up your system..

    The system restore feature is a new one - first appearing in Windows
    ME and then sticking around for Windows XP. It is a useful feature
    if you keep it maintained and use it to your advantage. Remember that
    the system restore pretty much tells you in the name what it protects
    which is 'system' files. Your documents, your pictures, your stuff is
    NOT system files - so you should also look into some backup solution.

    I have seen the automatic system restore go wrong too many times not
    to suggest the following.. Whenever you think about it (after doing a
    once-over on your machine once a month or so would be optimal) - clear
    out your System Restore and create a manual restoration point.

    'Why?'

    Too many times have I seen the system restore files go corrupt or get
    a virus in them, meaning you could not or did not want to restore from
    them. By clearing it out periodically you help prevent any corruption
    from happening and you make sure you have at least one good "snapshot".
    (*This, of course, will erase any previous restore point you have.*)

    - Turn off System Restore.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405
    - Reboot the Computer.
    - Review the first bullet to turn on System Restore
    - Make a Manual Restoration Point.
    http://snipurl.com/68nx

    That covers your system files, but doesn't do anything for the files
    that you are REALLY worried about - yours! For that you need to look
    into backups. You can either manually copy your important files, folders,
    documents, spreadsheets, emails, contacts, pictures, drawings and so on
    to an external location (CD/DVD - any disk of some sort, etc) or you can
    use the backup tool that comes with Windows XP:

    How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

    Yes - you still need some sort of external media to store the results
    on, but you could schedule the backup to occur when you are not around,
    then burn the resultant data onto CD or DVD or something when you are
    (while you do other things!)

    A lot of people have wondered about how to completely backup their system
    so that they would not have to go through the trouble of a reinstall..
    I'm going to voice my opinion here and say that it would be worthless to
    do for MOST people. Unless you plan on periodically updating the image
    backup of your system (remaking it) - then by the time you use it
    (something goes wrong) - it will be so outdated as to be more trouble than
    performing a full install of the operating system and all applications.

    Having said my part against it, you can clone/backup your hard drive
    completely using many methods - by far the simplest are using disk cloning
    applications:

    Symantec/Norton Ghost
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/

    Acronis True Image
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
    and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

    Thank You Richard Urban & Shenan Stanley for your rapid response. Yes I
    am aware that what he is doing is not a real backup but merely some data
    which has been copied from one disk to another. A real back-up program
    is way over his head. I personaly use "Drive Image" and I move to a
    removeable hard drive and renew this frequently.

    Now to the other problem. I don't understand how you can bootup and not
    be logged on, can you explain this please.

    > Reboot the computer and not be logged on during the backup and/or exclude
    > the pagefile (you don't need/want to backup that anyway) and the in-use
    > (because they are logged on) NTUSER.DAT file of the currently logged on
    > user.

    We will try the restore option but the main reason for copy/paste was to
    save data files not system files on another disk. I agree that restore
    does fail too many times.

    Copying to an external drive is NOT backing up. Two different animals, as
    your friend will find out if he gets a real backup program. If you use one
    of these you will be able to backup everything.

    Try "BackUp MyPC". Google for it.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Clifford R Powell" <cliffp@REMOVEMEcox.net> wrote in message
    > [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin and
    > a copy was sent to the cited author.]
    >
    > I have a client with XP home who is attempting to backup from "C" to
    > external disk. This is straight copy/paste (no bu program) Some folders
    > taken individually will copy ok but selection of entire disk fails with
    > one or two error messages as follows: 1. pagefile is in use by another
    > program, 2. NTuser - wording not available at this time. Do not know at
    > this time if user is administrator or ? Can anyone advise me of what to
    > do for fix. TIA.
    >
    > Cliffp

Security Microsoft Pagefile Windows XP