Need help on reboot problem! urgent!

July 17, 2005 8:27:01 PM

My pc one day started to reboot all the sudden on its own. i didnt
understand, so i took a virus check, adaware and spyware checks. nothing
turns out- but then i took the virus check one more time, then when it
reached the windows folder, it suddenly rebooted, and that happens almoste
all the time when i reach the windows folder. Strange. But just running
normaly in windows, it runs fine. But when i play games, it reboots all the
sudden!
So what can i do. i dont want to formate the disk. i got 120gb of stuff i
need!

More about : reboot problem urgent

July 17, 2005 9:39:37 PM

Carl-Henrik Buschmann wrote:

> My pc one day started to reboot all the sudden on its own. i didnt
> understand, so i took a virus check, adaware and spyware checks.
> nothing turns out- but then i took the virus check one more time, then
> when it reached the windows folder, it suddenly rebooted, and that
> happens almoste all the time when i reach the windows folder. Strange.
> But just running normaly in windows, it runs fine. But when i play
> games, it reboots all the sudden!
> So what can i do. i dont want to formate the disk. i got 120gb of
> stuff i need!

Back up your data. Whether or not you will lose your data right now is
not the issue - you need to be prepared. There are ways of backing up
data if you can't get into Windows.

From your description of the problem, it sounds like you have hardware
issues. One way to narrow down the troubleshooting is first to disable
the automatic reboot on failure. Do this by going to the Control Panel
System applet, Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings and under System
Failure uncheck "Automatically Restart".This should give you a Blue
Screen of Death with a Stop Error. Write down the Stop Error and
research it here:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

In the meantime, also do some hardware troubleshooting. Your computer
may be overheating, the RAM may be flaky, etc. Here are some general
hardware troubleshooting steps:

1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.

2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time - unless
errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Usually
you will download the file and make a bootable floppy with it. Boot
with the media and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical
errors, replace it.

4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
you have in the system. The adequacy issue doesn't really apply to a
laptop, although of course the power
supply can be faulty.

5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.

Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts
with known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a professional
computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Thank you! that was nice. BUT i see tha svchost.exe is all over the place.
and it takes lodes of memory. is this a part of the problem?

!