Counter Strike Source - Working?

I've recently tried playing Counter Strike Source. I try to scan for servers
and nothing happens. The game just seems to freeze. Can't close it down. I
end up having to restart the PC. The same thing happened with Deathmatch,
although I assumed that was because the beta had finished. Is Counter Strike
Source playable or what? I've had no other problems with Half-Life 2 other
than this.
8 answers Last reply
More about counter strike source working

    "Okilee Dokilee" wrote

    > I've recently tried playing Counter Strike Source. I try to scan for
    > servers
    > and nothing happens. The game just seems to freeze. Can't close it down. I
    > end up having to restart the PC. The same thing happened with Deathmatch,
    > although I assumed that was because the beta had finished. Is Counter
    > Strike
    > Source playable or what? I've had no other problems with Half-Life 2 other
    > than this.

    Both CS:S and DM has been working for quite some time
    Check your firewall?
    Are you using the build in browser?

    - Peter

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Okilee Dokilee" wrote
    >
    > > I've recently tried playing Counter Strike Source. I try to scan for
    > > servers
    > > and nothing happens. The game just seems to freeze. Can't close it down.
    > > end up having to restart the PC. The same thing happened with
    Deathmatch,
    > > although I assumed that was because the beta had finished. Is Counter
    > > Strike
    > > Source playable or what? I've had no other problems with Half-Life 2
    other
    > > than this.
    > >
    > Both CS:S and DM has been working for quite some time
    > Check your firewall?
    > Are you using the build in browser?
    >
    > - Peter

    Yes I was using the built-in browser. I take it that the built-in browser is
    rubbish? As far as I know the firewall is fine. I can try connecting via
    Gamespy I suppose.

    Okilee Dokilee wrote:
    > I've recently tried playing Counter Strike Source. I try to scan for
    > servers and nothing happens. The game just seems to freeze. Can't
    > close it down. I end up having to restart the PC. The same thing
    > happened with Deathmatch, although I assumed that was because the
    > beta had finished. Is Counter Strike Source playable or what? I've
    > had no other problems with Half-Life 2 other than this.

    Is the game 100% up to date?

    "Okilee Dokilee" wrote

    > Yes I was using the built-in browser. I take it that the built-in browser
    > is
    > rubbish?

    Oh my mistake, the built in browser is fine - or at least it's working as
    supposed to

    > As far as I know the firewall is fine. I can try connecting via
    > Gamespy I suppose.

    Hmm a bit weird
    Can you connect by ip?
    Where do live in this beloved world
    We can provide som server ip's in your region
    Not if they are worth anything just to test the connection

    - Pter

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:44:49 GMT, "Okilee Dokilee"
    <derekathomson@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

    >Yes I was using the built-in browser. I take it that the built-in browser is
    >rubbish?

    No, the browser is fine and like Peter said, CSS has been fully
    functional for quite some time now. The problem lies elsewhere, it
    seems.

    -----
    Anders Simonsson
    Website: http://www.anderssimonsson.com/

    Jimbob wrote:
    > Okilee Dokilee wrote:
    >
    >>I've recently tried playing Counter Strike Source. I try to scan for
    >>servers and nothing happens. The game just seems to freeze. Can't
    >>close it down. I end up having to restart the PC. The same thing
    >>happened with Deathmatch, although I assumed that was because the
    >>beta had finished. Is Counter Strike Source playable or what? I've
    >>had no other problems with Half-Life 2 other than this.
    >

    > Is the game 100% up to date?

    If it wasn't 100% up to date, he wouldn't have been able to run it in
    the first place. If he was running it offline and Steam didn't know it
    was not up to date, there'd be no Internet servers to find anyway.

    > "Okilee Dokilee" wrote
    >
    > > Yes I was using the built-in browser. I take it that the built-in
    browser
    > > is
    > > rubbish?
    >
    > Oh my mistake, the built in browser is fine - or at least it's working as
    > supposed to
    >
    > > As far as I know the firewall is fine. I can try connecting via
    > > Gamespy I suppose.
    > >
    > Hmm a bit weird
    > Can you connect by ip?
    > Where do live in this beloved world
    > We can provide som server ip's in your region
    > Not if they are worth anything just to test the connection
    >
    > - Pter

    The firewall asks for permission to connect via Steam. I select yes, and
    "always allow access with this program" or whatever the message says. I'm
    using Zone Alarm. My version of the game is legite etc, and I have a working
    steam account (at least it updates the game every now and again).

    I live in Edinburgh, Scotland.

    "Okilee Dokilee" <derekathomson@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Okilee Dokilee" wrote
    > >
    > > > Yes I was using the built-in browser. I take it that the built-in
    > browser
    > > > is
    > > > rubbish?
    > >
    > > Oh my mistake, the built in browser is fine - or at least it's working
    as
    > > supposed to
    > >
    > > > As far as I know the firewall is fine. I can try connecting via
    > > > Gamespy I suppose.
    > > >
    > > Hmm a bit weird
    > > Can you connect by ip?
    > > Where do live in this beloved world
    > > We can provide som server ip's in your region
    > > Not if they are worth anything just to test the connection
    > >
    > > - Pter
    >
    > The firewall asks for permission to connect via Steam. I select yes, and
    > "always allow access with this program" or whatever the message says. I'm
    > using Zone Alarm. My version of the game is legite etc, and I have a
    working
    > steam account (at least it updates the game every now and again).
    >
    > I live in Edinburgh, Scotland.

    Just tried it from start menu/programs/valve etc worked just fine.
    Previously I'd tried to start it via the steam icon in the tray right
    click/play games. Not sure if that's what made the difference, but it's
    running now anyway, so I'm happy.

Games Video Games