Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Counter Strike Source - Working?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 7:34:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I've recently tried playing Counter Strike Source. I try to scan for servers
and nothing happens. The game just seems to freeze. Can't close it down. I
end up having to restart the PC. The same thing happened with Deathmatch,
although I assumed that was because the beta had finished. Is Counter Strike
Source playable or what? I've had no other problems with Half-Life 2 other
than this.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 8:55:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Okilee Dokilee" wrote

> I've recently tried playing Counter Strike Source. I try to scan for
> servers
> and nothing happens. The game just seems to freeze. Can't close it down. I
> end up having to restart the PC. The same thing happened with Deathmatch,
> although I assumed that was because the beta had finished. Is Counter
> Strike
> Source playable or what? I've had no other problems with Half-Life 2 other
> than this.
>
Both CS:S and DM has been working for quite some time
Check your firewall?
Are you using the build in browser?

- Peter
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 9:44:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:36utk0F52l4a3U1@individual.net...
> "Okilee Dokilee" wrote
>
> > I've recently tried playing Counter Strike Source. I try to scan for
> > servers
> > and nothing happens. The game just seems to freeze. Can't close it down.
I
> > end up having to restart the PC. The same thing happened with
Deathmatch,
> > although I assumed that was because the beta had finished. Is Counter
> > Strike
> > Source playable or what? I've had no other problems with Half-Life 2
other
> > than this.
> >
> Both CS:S and DM has been working for quite some time
> Check your firewall?
> Are you using the build in browser?
>
> - Peter

Yes I was using the built-in browser. I take it that the built-in browser is
rubbish? As far as I know the firewall is fine. I can try connecting via
Gamespy I suppose.
Related resources
February 10, 2005 12:06:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Okilee Dokilee wrote:
> I've recently tried playing Counter Strike Source. I try to scan for
> servers and nothing happens. The game just seems to freeze. Can't
> close it down. I end up having to restart the PC. The same thing
> happened with Deathmatch, although I assumed that was because the
> beta had finished. Is Counter Strike Source playable or what? I've
> had no other problems with Half-Life 2 other than this.

Is the game 100% up to date?
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 12:12:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Okilee Dokilee" wrote

> Yes I was using the built-in browser. I take it that the built-in browser
> is
> rubbish?

Oh my mistake, the built in browser is fine - or at least it's working as
supposed to

> As far as I know the firewall is fine. I can try connecting via
> Gamespy I suppose.
>
Hmm a bit weird
Can you connect by ip?
Where do live in this beloved world
We can provide som server ip's in your region
Not if they are worth anything just to test the connection

- Pter
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 12:32:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:44:49 GMT, "Okilee Dokilee"
<derekathomson@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>Yes I was using the built-in browser. I take it that the built-in browser is
>rubbish?

No, the browser is fine and like Peter said, CSS has been fully
functional for quite some time now. The problem lies elsewhere, it
seems.

-----
Anders Simonsson
Website: http://www.anderssimonsson.com/
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 1:44:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Jimbob wrote:
> Okilee Dokilee wrote:
>
>>I've recently tried playing Counter Strike Source. I try to scan for
>>servers and nothing happens. The game just seems to freeze. Can't
>>close it down. I end up having to restart the PC. The same thing
>>happened with Deathmatch, although I assumed that was because the
>>beta had finished. Is Counter Strike Source playable or what? I've
>>had no other problems with Half-Life 2 other than this.
>
>
> Is the game 100% up to date?
>
>
If it wasn't 100% up to date, he wouldn't have been able to run it in
the first place. If he was running it offline and Steam didn't know it
was not up to date, there'd be no Internet servers to find anyway.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:15:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:36v96cF56q086U1@individual.net...
> "Okilee Dokilee" wrote
>
> > Yes I was using the built-in browser. I take it that the built-in
browser
> > is
> > rubbish?
>
> Oh my mistake, the built in browser is fine - or at least it's working as
> supposed to
>
> > As far as I know the firewall is fine. I can try connecting via
> > Gamespy I suppose.
> >
> Hmm a bit weird
> Can you connect by ip?
> Where do live in this beloved world
> We can provide som server ip's in your region
> Not if they are worth anything just to test the connection
>
> - Pter

The firewall asks for permission to connect via Steam. I select yes, and
"always allow access with this program" or whatever the message says. I'm
using Zone Alarm. My version of the game is legite etc, and I have a working
steam account (at least it updates the game every now and again).

I live in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:01:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Okilee Dokilee" <derekathomson@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:jcXOd.11736$8B3.11517@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:36v96cF56q086U1@individual.net...
> > "Okilee Dokilee" wrote
> >
> > > Yes I was using the built-in browser. I take it that the built-in
> browser
> > > is
> > > rubbish?
> >
> > Oh my mistake, the built in browser is fine - or at least it's working
as
> > supposed to
> >
> > > As far as I know the firewall is fine. I can try connecting via
> > > Gamespy I suppose.
> > >
> > Hmm a bit weird
> > Can you connect by ip?
> > Where do live in this beloved world
> > We can provide som server ip's in your region
> > Not if they are worth anything just to test the connection
> >
> > - Pter
>
> The firewall asks for permission to connect via Steam. I select yes, and
> "always allow access with this program" or whatever the message says. I'm
> using Zone Alarm. My version of the game is legite etc, and I have a
working
> steam account (at least it updates the game every now and again).
>
> I live in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Just tried it from start menu/programs/valve etc worked just fine.
Previously I'd tried to start it via the steam icon in the tray right
click/play games. Not sure if that's what made the difference, but it's
running now anyway, so I'm happy.
!