Compact flash going away?

I'm in the market for a new digi cam and I've noticed that only Canon seems
to be still using compact flash memory. Then new Nikons (3200,4200,5200)
are using SD cards. Pentax and Minolta are SD caards. Olympus and Fuji
dropped SmartMedia for xD.... Even the Canon SD10 has moved to SD
cards....Is Campact flash going away or why are camera makers seeming to
move away from it?

Side note: Any opinions on the new Nikons? 3200 has been out for a month or
so, the 5200 just this past week and 4200 coming soon.

--Jay
6 answers Last reply
More about compact flash away

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:40:32 -0500, "jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm in the market for a new digi cam and I've noticed that only Canon seems
    >to be still using compact flash memory. Then new Nikons (3200,4200,5200)
    >are using SD cards. Pentax and Minolta are SD caards. Olympus and Fuji
    >dropped SmartMedia for xD.... Even the Canon SD10 has moved to SD
    >cards....Is Campact flash going away or why are camera makers seeming to
    >move away from it?

    Probably because CF cards are bigger than all other cards and
    customers liked to have as small as possible for easy carrying.
    Personally I think it's a bad idea. Drop a SD card in a shag rug and
    it'd probably be lost forever. I haven't seen miniSD yet.

    CF is also available in sizes up to 8GB, which no other card has
    reached yet. I'm glad they dropped SM because it's limited to 128 and
    there's no next version plus SM cards seems more prone to failure than
    any other cards.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    In alt.comp.periphs.dcameras, jay wrote:
    > Is Campact flash going away or why are camera makers seeming to move
    > away from it?

    It does seem that all the smaller compact cameras use one of the smaller
    types of memory -- they really are a lot smaller than compact flash
    cards. CF is definitelly not going to go away, though -- all the
    larger, more professional camera's (the 'big 5' 8MP camera's, the two
    'affordable' SLR's from Canon and Nikon), and off course all the really
    professional SLR camera's, all use CF. CF is going to stay with us for
    a long time.

    Why? Well, it's just a question of the market segement. In more
    professional camera's, size matters less, and CF has some advantages:
    it's cheaper, and scales up a lot higher -- up to 8 GB now, and bigger
    Microdrives are probably underway. Also the CF standard seems to me to
    be a bit more flexible than the other standards: there is more
    differentiation in for instance speeds of cards than there is in other
    memory types. This makes CF very robust when it comes to staying with
    us in the future.

    Jan

    8GB....nice! They should be able to put rental movies on them very nicely.
    DVDs are only 4.7GB

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:21:19 -0400, "Gymmy Bob" <NoThanx@spammie.com>
    wrote:

    >8GB....nice! They should be able to put rental movies on them very nicely.
    >DVDs are only 4.7GB

    I'm already ahead of you. I have Return of the King DVD on CF card
    for my GBA Movie Player. Ok 240x160 screen isn't big but it sure
    beats a $300 battery powered portable DVD player. ;-)
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Commercial DVDs are usually dual layer...4.3gb + 4.3gb, so it won't quite
    fit.

    www.coribright.com

    "Gymmy Bob" <NoThanx@spammie.com> wrote in message
    > 8GB....nice! They should be able to put rental movies on them very nicely.
    > DVDs are only 4.7GB

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 03:03:16 GMT, "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com>
    wrote:

    >Commercial DVDs are usually dual layer...4.3gb + 4.3gb, so it won't quite
    >fit.

    True but most movies don't use every single byte of the DVD.
    Typically it's about 2 hours per layer and even with long movies like
    Return of the King (3.5 hours or around 7GB total) can still fit a
    single CF card in DVD quality.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

Cameras Compact Flash Canon Peripherals