WHAT'S WRONG

I have a Dell Dimension 4400 that I've upped to 200gb HD & 512RAM.
However, it has the original ATI Rage 128 16mb video card. I recently
bought a video game (Shrek 2- Team Action) only to have it crash as soon
as I attempted to play it. I then checked the game box to find that it
required a 32mb card.
Thinking that I wouldn't have to screw around with changing the drivers,
I bought an ATI Rage 128 32mb card off eBay. I went to put it in and,
lo and behold, it wouldn't fit. The original 16mb has two slots within
the male printed circuit part of the card that plugs into the mobo, the
replacement 32mb card only has one slot. Why the difference and how do I
know what card to get that will fit?
9 answers Last reply
More about what wrong

    In article <20260-4282793F-7@storefull-3111.bay.webtv.net>, jen19851
    @webtv.net says...
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4400 that I've upped to 200gb HD & 512RAM.
    > However, it has the original ATI Rage 128 16mb video card. I recently
    > bought a video game (Shrek 2- Team Action) only to have it crash as soon
    > as I attempted to play it. I then checked the game box to find that it
    > required a 32mb card.
    > Thinking that I wouldn't have to screw around with changing the drivers,
    > I bought an ATI Rage 128 32mb card off eBay. I went to put it in and,
    > lo and behold, it wouldn't fit. The original 16mb has two slots within
    > the male printed circuit part of the card that plugs into the mobo, the
    > replacement 32mb card only has one slot. Why the difference and how do I
    > know what card to get that will fit?

    Didn't you ask about a graphics card upgrade a while ago and were
    told to go with a GeForce PCI FX5200?

    Bill

    Jen Meyer wrote:
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4400 that I've upped to 200gb HD & 512RAM.
    > However, it has the original ATI Rage 128 16mb video card. I recently
    > bought a video game (Shrek 2- Team Action) only to have it crash as soon
    > as I attempted to play it. I then checked the game box to find that it
    > required a 32mb card.
    > Thinking that I wouldn't have to screw around with changing the drivers,
    > I bought an ATI Rage 128 32mb card off eBay. I went to put it in and,
    > lo and behold, it wouldn't fit. The original 16mb has two slots within
    > the male printed circuit part of the card that plugs into the mobo, the
    > replacement 32mb card only has one slot. Why the difference and how do I
    > know what card to get that will fit?

    The original card is PCI, sounds like the new one is AGP. Two completely
    different interfaces. If your motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot you
    need to find an older 32m PCI card which could be kinda tough.

    --
    Servo
    "Don't press your luck, Carter"

    "Jen Meyer" <jen19851@webtv.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Dimension 4400 that I've upped to 200gb HD & 512RAM.
    > However, it has the original ATI Rage 128 16mb video card. I recently
    > bought a video game (Shrek 2- Team Action) only to have it crash as soon
    > as I attempted to play it. I then checked the game box to find that it
    > required a 32mb card.
    > Thinking that I wouldn't have to screw around with changing the drivers,
    > I bought an ATI Rage 128 32mb card off eBay. I went to put it in and,
    > lo and behold, it wouldn't fit. The original 16mb has two slots within
    > the male printed circuit part of the card that plugs into the mobo, the
    > replacement 32mb card only has one slot. Why the difference and how do I
    > know what card to get that will fit?

    What colour was the slot you took the original card out of?

    --
    Derek

    "Jen Meyer" <jen19851@webtv.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Dimension 4400 that I've upped to 200gb HD & 512RAM.
    > However, it has the original ATI Rage 128 16mb video card. I recently
    > bought a video game (Shrek 2- Team Action) only to have it crash as soon
    > as I attempted to play it. I then checked the game box to find that it
    > required a 32mb card.
    > Thinking that I wouldn't have to screw around with changing the drivers,
    > I bought an ATI Rage 128 32mb card off eBay. I went to put it in and,
    > lo and behold, it wouldn't fit. The original 16mb has two slots within
    > the male printed circuit part of the card that plugs into the mobo, the
    > replacement 32mb card only has one slot. Why the difference and how do I
    > know what card to get that will fit?

    I see here http://shop.game.net/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=10350&mid=323652 under
    Supported Chipsets it lists 'All ATI Radeon chipsets'. The Rage 128 is older
    than that, even if it fitted it may be too old.

    --
    Derek

    Apparently so: http://tinyurl.com/c7rn3

    --
    Derek

    Thanks for the replies. It's definitely an AGP slot. I think Ian got
    it right, the card's too old.
    And Derek, I decided to go on the cheap & got the ATI. So now I have a
    $20 paperweight and will pick up a Radeon.

    Jen Meyer wrote:
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4400 that I've upped to 200gb HD & 512RAM.
    > However, it has the original ATI Rage 128 16mb video card. I recently
    > bought a video game (Shrek 2- Team Action) only to have it crash as
    > soon as I attempted to play it. I then checked the game box to find
    > that it required a 32mb card.
    > Thinking that I wouldn't have to screw around with changing the
    > drivers, I bought an ATI Rage 128 32mb card off eBay. I went to put
    > it in and, lo and behold, it wouldn't fit. The original 16mb has two
    > slots within the male printed circuit part of the card that plugs
    > into the mobo, the replacement 32mb card only has one slot. Why the
    > difference and how do I know what card to get that will fit?

    The different slots denote different revisions of AGP. The reason the slots
    on motheboards and the cards themselves were changed was to prevent anyone
    fitting an older 5v AGP card into a modern 3.3v slot! Your card from Ebay
    requires a 3.3v slot, you cannot therefore use it on your board.

    > Thanks for the replies. It's definitely an AGP slot. I think Ian got
    > it right, the card's too old.
    > And Derek, I decided to go on the cheap & got the ATI. So now I have a
    > $20 paperweight and will pick up a Radeon.

    Do yourself a favor and avoid the 9200SE, 9550SE, 9600SE and X300SE. If you
    are looking in the $60 range, just get the straight 9550 128Mb card. Plenty
    adequate for what you eant, and not crippled with 64bit memory. Even your
    old Rage 128 card had 128bit memory on it.

    "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message

    > "Jen Meyer" <jen19851@webtv.net> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the replies. It's definitely an AGP slot. I think Ian got
    >> it right, the card's too old.
    >> And Derek, I decided to go on the cheap & got the ATI. So now I have a
    >> $20 paperweight and will pick up a Radeon.
    >
    > Do yourself a favor and avoid the 9200SE, 9550SE, 9600SE and X300SE. If
    > you are looking in the $60 range, just get the straight 9550 128Mb card.
    > Plenty adequate for what you eant, and not crippled with 64bit memory.
    > Even your old Rage 128 card had 128bit memory on it.

    I see on pricewatch they're going for about $55 in the States.

    --
    Derek

Radeon ATI Graphics