The catalog file is damaged or an invalid catalog.

Hello I just downloaded and installed Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer
ver 2.0

When I run the program I get a message "Failed to download security update"
followed by a second message "The catalog file is damaged or an invalid
catalog".

The following URL
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/tools/mbsa2/qa.mspx#EAAAA

Is suppose to explain the fix but I do not understand Please help.

When downloading the Microsoft Update offline catalog (wsusscan.cab) before
each attempt to scan, downloaded files are checked for a valid Microsoft
digital signature before being used. When the file is missing, or the digital
signature cannot be verified, these errors may occur.

To avoid this error message, it is recommended that the 835732 update be
installed on all Windows 2000 computers running MBSA 2.0 to perform scanning.

These errors may also appear if Internet Explorer is running with the
offline setting, which will prevent MBSA from being able to download the
catalog file.
--
James M. Horak TSgt USAF Retired
63 Blackjack Circle

Terminator00101 wrote:

> Hello I just downloaded and installed Microsoft Baseline
> Security Analyzer ver 2.0
>
> (snip)
Hi,

You might want to post this to the
microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer
newsgroup...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: