RADEON X800XLAGP vs BFG GeForce 6800GT Overclocked Card

My ATI 9800 is going RMA the second time and I've had enough. Time for a
new card, the young lad can have my old one.

Both cards are avail at Future Shop where I will be visiting Saturday, the
ATI for $500 and the Nvidia for $550 (canada). I'm leaning towards the ATi
especially since it doesn't seem to require a monster power supply.

I am running an AMD 64 +3000 and will probably buy another faster processor
by year end. Hoping for +4000.
Would appreciate your comments please.
--
Advanced Primate
XP Pro 64 Bit O/S

JS

Wow, I must be going blind late at night. The BFG is $650 so these cards
are not in the same class.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"js" <JS@JS.COM> wrote in message
> Wow, I must be going blind late at night. The BFG is $650 so these cards
> are not in the same class.

You can pick up a Chaintec 256Mb 6800GT for $459 Cdn at NCIX (Canada) for
$459 Cdn.....the BFG's regular price is $570. NCIX has had it on sale for
around $500, but it's not currently on sale.

Hmmmm.....bought the X800XL today. Works very well on my system, I can max
out most games at 1280x1024 my LCD's native resolution. I had read it is
the most bang for the buck and after reading several review's I was
convinced.

I just couldn't wait too long for my ATI 9800 RMA. We are a household of
gamers and computer freaks.
--
Advanced Primate
XP Pro 64 Bit O/S

"Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message

> "js" <JS@JS.COM> wrote in message
>> Wow, I must be going blind late at night. The BFG is $650 so these cards
>> are not in the same class.
>
> You can pick up a Chaintec 256Mb 6800GT for $459 Cdn at NCIX (Canada) for
> $459 Cdn.....the BFG's regular price is $570. NCIX has had it on sale for
> around $500, but it's not currently on sale.

I hope you didn't pay $500 for it. CompUSA and Microcenter have it for
$319, and there's a $20 manufacturer rebate too. You still qualify for that
I think.

Dirk

"Advanced Primate" <primate@primate.com> wrote in message
> Hmmmm.....bought the X800XL today. Works very well on my system, I can
> max out most games at 1280x1024 my LCD's native resolution. I had read it
> is the most bang for the buck and after reading several review's I was
> convinced.
>
> I just couldn't wait too long for my ATI 9800 RMA. We are a household of
> gamers and computer freaks.
> --
> Advanced Primate
> XP Pro 64 Bit O/S
>
> "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "js" <JS@JS.COM> wrote in message
>>> Wow, I must be going blind late at night. The BFG is $650 so these
>>> cards are not in the same class.
>>
>> You can pick up a Chaintec 256Mb 6800GT for $459 Cdn at NCIX (Canada) for
>> $459 Cdn.....the BFG's regular price is $570. NCIX has had it on sale for
>> around $500, but it's not currently on sale.

JS

Those are US prices? The $500 was Can.

"Dirk Gross" <a@a.com> wrote in message
>I hope you didn't pay $500 for it. CompUSA and Microcenter have it for
>$319, and there's a $20 manufacturer rebate too. You still qualify for
>that I think.
>
> Dirk
>
> "Advanced Primate" <primate@primate.com> wrote in message
>> Hmmmm.....bought the X800XL today. Works very well on my system, I can
>> max out most games at 1280x1024 my LCD's native resolution. I had read
>> it is the most bang for the buck and after reading several review's I was
>> convinced.
>>
>> I just couldn't wait too long for my ATI 9800 RMA. We are a household of
>> gamers and computer freaks.
>> --
>> Advanced Primate
>> XP Pro 64 Bit O/S
>>
>> "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "js" <JS@JS.COM> wrote in message
>>>
>>> You can pick up a Chaintec 256Mb 6800GT for $459 Cdn at NCIX (Canada)
>>> for $459 Cdn.....the BFG's regular price is $570. NCIX has had it on
>>> sale for around $500, but it's not currently on sale.

Well, buy it in the US 'cause it's $181 cheaper. ;-)