Microsoft Antispyware Beta

I installed Microsoft Antispyware Beta when it first became available, and it
worked fine. When a new version of the software became available recently, I
installed it, and now when I check for updates and install them, the same
updates keep coming up as available every day. Is anyone else having this
problem? It keeps showing that it will update from version 5731 to 5735.
--
Mary Ann
3 answers Last reply

    This is the stuff beta users should report to the programers here are the
    sites.
    Support for Beta of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

    At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    is being provided through the following Microsoft
    newsgroups:
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

    These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP.

    To access these newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following
    location:
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    --
    Don Kendrick

    "Mary Ann" wrote:

    > I installed Microsoft Antispyware Beta when it first became available, and it
    > worked fine. When a new version of the software became available recently, I
    > installed it, and now when I check for updates and install them, the same
    > updates keep coming up as available every day. Is anyone else having this
    > problem? It keeps showing that it will update from version 5731 to 5735.
    > --
    > Mary Ann

    The message about the MSAS same definition repeated update is a known issue
    and has been reported to Microsoft.

    In news:89A22ADD-727E-402E-B444-666CB673D884@microsoft.com,
    Mary Ann <MaryAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I installed Microsoft Antispyware Beta when it first became
    > available, and it worked fine. When a new version of the software
    > became available recently, I installed it, and now when I check for
    > updates and install them, the same updates keep coming up as
    > available every day. Is anyone else having this problem? It keeps
    > showing that it will update from version 5731 to 5735.

    From those groups:

    ====
    This is a quote from Robin Walker:

    After much debugging, I have found that the problem with definition update
    failures and repetition is because of an incorrect version of the file
    gcUnCompress.dll in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ (for XP) or C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\
    (for
    2000 or systems upgraded from 2000).

    The incorrect version is of length 130,272 bytes.
    The correct version is of length 95,448 bytes.

    To update your system to install the correct version of the file, do the
    following:

    1. In the System Notification Area, right-click on the MSAS icon and select
    "Shutdown Microsoft AntiSpyware".
    2. In Explorer, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\, locate the file
    "gcUnCompress.dll", right-click on it, and select "Delete".
    3. In Control Panel "Add or Remove Programs", select "Microsoft
    AntiSpyware"
    and click button "Change".
    4. Click "Next".
    5. Select "Update Microsoft AntiSpyware", click "Next".
    6. Click "Install".
    7. When the re-installation finishes, click "Finish".
    8. In Explorer, in folder C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\, check that
    "gcUnCompress.dll" is now 95,448 bytes long, by right-clicking it and
    selecting "Properties".
    9. Launch MSAS, pull down the File menu and select "Check for updates" -
    this time it really will update your definition files to the latest version.
    10. In Explorer, open the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware,
    and
    satisfy yourself that the modification dates of the three definition files
    have changed:
    gcDeterminationData.gcd
    gcThreatAuditThreatData.gcd
    gcThreatAuditScanData.gcd

    Done!

    You won't ever have to manually install the definition files again, nor
    will
    the update keep repeating every time you try.

    -- Robin Walker [MVP Networking] rdhw@cam.ac.uk
    ====

    Galen

    without them."