Scripting EFS certificat export

deanc

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is some way to script the process to export
user certificate? We know using Certificate MMC Snap-in to export user
EFS certificate and private key. Because the process involves so many
steps and technology terms and words, regular users don't even have a
clue when checking the options. Ideally we would like to create a
script and give the users the only option to enter their password when
exporting the EFS certificate.

Anyone, particularly MS online support, knows what API calls we can use
in a VBscript to do this work?

Thanks in advance,

Dean

<deanc@wagged.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there is some way to script the process to export
> user certificate? We know using Certificate MMC Snap-in to export user
> EFS certificate and private key. Because the process involves so many
> steps and technology terms and words, regular users don't even have a
> clue when checking the options. Ideally we would like to create a
> script and give the users the only option to enter their password when
> exporting the EFS certificate.
>
> Anyone, particularly MS online support, knows what API calls we can use
> in a VBscript to do this work?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dean

There is a command line program "cipher" which could be called from a
script. Type cipher /? at a cmd prompt for details. The online docs and XP
help don't have all the switches documented. Cipher /x should do the trick.

Kerry

> Thanks Kerry!

Your welcome. Make sure you test restoring the keys exported this way. EFS
is full of pitfalls for the unwary.

Kerry