Scripting EFS certificat export

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is some way to script the process to export
user certificate? We know using Certificate MMC Snap-in to export user
EFS certificate and private key. Because the process involves so many
steps and technology terms and words, regular users don't even have a
clue when checking the options. Ideally we would like to create a
script and give the users the only option to enter their password when
exporting the EFS certificate.

Anyone, particularly MS online support, knows what API calls we can use
in a VBscript to do this work?

Thanks in advance,

Dean
3 answers Last reply
More about scripting certificat export

    <deanc@wagged.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is some way to script the process to export
    > user certificate? We know using Certificate MMC Snap-in to export user
    > EFS certificate and private key. Because the process involves so many
    > steps and technology terms and words, regular users don't even have a
    > clue when checking the options. Ideally we would like to create a
    > script and give the users the only option to enter their password when
    > exporting the EFS certificate.
    >
    > Anyone, particularly MS online support, knows what API calls we can use
    > in a VBscript to do this work?
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Dean

    There is a command line program "cipher" which could be called from a
    script. Type cipher /? at a cmd prompt for details. The online docs and XP
    help don't have all the switches documented. Cipher /x should do the trick.

    Kerry

    Thanks Kerry!

    > Thanks Kerry!

    Your welcome. Make sure you test restoring the keys exported this way. EFS
    is full of pitfalls for the unwary.

    Kerry

Security Microsoft Certificate Windows XP