Black & White capture with AIW

I can capture from PAL VHS recorder to the PC in colour with a cheap
S-video cable. I tried the ATI S-Video cable (came in the box) and an
expensive one as well and I get B & W captures.

Tried the ATI S-Video cable with an analogue Hi8 camcorder and the
video capture is in colour showing that the cable is not damaged.

Why should this be please?

"wizzard" <a@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I can capture from PAL VHS recorder to the PC in colour with a cheap
> S-video cable. I tried the ATI S-Video cable (came in the box) and an
> expensive one as well and I get B & W captures.
>
> Tried the ATI S-Video cable with an analogue Hi8 camcorder and the
> video capture is in colour showing that the cable is not damaged.
>
> Why should this be please?

Sounds like a bad connector on the VHS.

Try a composite cable and see if that works.

Pagan

"Pagan" <adsa@deputysheriff.org> kirjoitti viestissä
> "wizzard" <a@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I can capture from PAL VHS recorder to the PC in colour with a cheap
> > S-video cable. I tried the ATI S-Video cable (came in the box) and an
> > expensive one as well and I get B & W captures.
> >
> > Tried the ATI S-Video cable with an analogue Hi8 camcorder and the
> > video capture is in colour showing that the cable is not damaged.
> >
> > Why should this be please?
>
> Sounds like a bad connector on the VHS.

My guess is that the el cheapo cable passes both s-vhs and composite signal.
The original ATi s-vhs cable only passes the s-vhs signal, not the composite
one. Now your TV doesn't understand the s-vhs signal but instead tries to
intepret it as composite one. What do we get? A B&W picture... But if you
throw in the el cheapo cable, your TV happily chows the composite signal it
gets and spits out a colour image.

Check out the TV setup, there might be a setting that allows you to select
the signal type used. It should match the signal type used in the AIW side.

--
gt

"wizzard" <a@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I can capture from PAL VHS recorder to the PC in colour with a cheap
> S-video cable. I tried the ATI S-Video cable (came in the box) and an
> expensive one as well and I get B & W captures.
>
> Tried the ATI S-Video cable with an analogue Hi8 camcorder and the
> video capture is in colour showing that the cable is not damaged.
>
> Why should this be please?

Good going if you can get any S-Video input to the card to display in
colour! I have several AIWs of different versions and none of them display
other than b&w using numerous different s-video cables. They all work fine
with composite though. Are you able to compare the internal wiring of the
cheap (working) s-video cable with that on the ATI original (perhaps using a
multimeter)? What brand is the cheap cable?

Paul

On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:04:22 +0100, "Paul Murphy"
<p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote:

>Good going if you can get any S-Video input to the card to display in
>colour! I have several AIWs of different versions and none of them display
>other than b&w using numerous different s-video cables. They all work fine
>with composite though. Are you able to compare the internal wiring of the
>cheap (working) s-video cable with that on the ATI original (perhaps using a
>multimeter)? What brand is the cheap cable?
>
>Paul

I picked up the cheapo S-Video from a Computer fair. These are the
type being sold on ebay as well.

If I buy a good quality scart to 2 audio and video cable (red, white
and yellow), will it give the correct results?

wizzard wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:04:22 +0100, "Paul Murphy"
> <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Good going if you can get any S-Video input to the card to display in
>>colour! I have several AIWs of different versions and none of them display
>>other than b&w using numerous different s-video cables. They all work fine
>>with composite though. Are you able to compare the internal wiring of the
>>cheap (working) s-video cable with that on the ATI original (perhaps using a
>>multimeter)? What brand is the cheap cable?
>>
>>Paul
>

> I picked up the cheapo S-Video from a Computer fair. These are the
> type being sold on ebay as well.
>
> If I buy a good quality scart to 2 audio and video cable (red, white
> and yellow), will it give the correct results?

Probably (or, for sure) you'll get colour and stereo as well, but the
picture quality is composite only.

--
gt