Only Able to Logon On as Guest Account

This may be a coincidence but I installed a new anti-virus program on my
laptop and and rebooted. When it restarted, I was presented with a user
login screen and the only available account was "Guest". I have never
previously had more than one user account and it always booted straight into
XP using my default administrators account called "Peter".
I don't know how to recover the situation as when I login as Guest now I
have no admin rights. I can see the "Peter" folder still exists under
Documents & Settings and I really don't want to re-install XP Home if at all
possible.
1 answer Last reply
More about only logon guest account

    Boot to Safe Mode and the default "Administrator" logon on will appear.
    After logged in, change your account type to administrator.

    "Petergut" <Petergut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This may be a coincidence but I installed a new anti-virus program on my
    > laptop and and rebooted. When it restarted, I was presented with a user
    > login screen and the only available account was "Guest". I have never
    > previously had more than one user account and it always booted straight
    > into
    > XP using my default administrators account called "Peter".
    > I don't know how to recover the situation as when I login as Guest now I
    > have no admin rights. I can see the "Peter" folder still exists under
    > Documents & Settings and I really don't want to re-install XP Home if at
    > all
    > possible.

Windows XP