ATI 9700AIW vidoe problems

I have a 9700AIW running on a ASUS A78N Delux motherboard with a 425 watt
power supply.
I have owned this for about 2 years.
Lately when I turn on the computer the video will have lines and
artifacts(even when entering the BIOS). With the computer off, lifting the
end of the video card where the power supply attaches to the video card, I
can boot the computer to the operating system(WINXP PRO) with no video
problems.
I have downloaded the latest Catylist drivers., the latest BIOS for the ASUS
motherboard. Same problem. I do not have a second video card or computer to
try swapping out.
Has any one else experienced this? Any ideas on the cause? Any
suggestions?

Thanks

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"tom@bill.com" <rjhester@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have a 9700AIW running on a ASUS A78N Delux motherboard with a 425 watt
> power supply.
> I have owned this for about 2 years.
> Lately when I turn on the computer the video will have lines and
> artifacts(even when entering the BIOS). With the computer off, lifting
> the
> end of the video card where the power supply attaches to the video card,
> can boot the computer to the operating system(WINXP PRO) with no video
> problems.
> I have downloaded the latest Catylist drivers., the latest BIOS for the
> ASUS
> motherboard. Same problem. I do not have a second video card or computer
> try swapping out.
> Has any one else experienced this? Any ideas on the cause? Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks

Try taking the card out and rub a pencil eraser along the copper contacts at
the
bottom of the card. It'll help clean them up and ensure a decent connection.
You havent by any chance fitted a Artic Cooler have you - I reckon the
weight of
those things puts stress on the card that doesnt help.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Try wiggling the video monitor cable connection at the adapter on the
card. I had that plastic connector go bad last year and it caused that
exact same problem. I ended up buying a new adapter from ATI and
problem was solved.

good luck
jon