Germany makes Valve change HL2 box

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Germany makes Valve change HL2 box

this is good news for gamers and the protection of consumer rights
Germany was the first to see what us gamers have been warning since
the beginning, that HL2 is being sold in a retail box with no PROPER
labeling or info about the $team technology that its selling

the insignificant reference you can find in the bottom of HL2 back
cover to "internet required" is totally insuficient to describe what
$team is and does and requires, so this move Germany made is very
welcome

but also Germany makes reference to shifts in the traditional way
of selling games that also have to be addressed, like not being able
to sell it in the 2nd hand market or the fee you must pay valve to
change cd-key ownership
Germany looked at much more than the simple "internet required" but
to the brother picture of that $team is trying to do

we now hope every country in the world will follow Germany path and
much more investigation will be made to valve and $team, cause we
won a battle but not the war! we must go on and continue fighting
cause it ain't over yet

links follow about the news

Is the Half-Life 2 EULA illegal?
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21105

The consumer protection takes care of the Half Life 2 case
(in german)
http://www.hardtecs4u.com/?id=1107046955,31360,ht4u.php
(german translated)
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hardtecs4u.com%2F%3Fid%3D1107046955%2C31360%2Cht4u.php&lp=de_en

ps: a big thanks to olddog that first post this great breaking news

--
test
145 answers Last reply

    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
    > sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> writes:
    >
    > > Germany makes Valve change HL2 box
    >
    > How? It's not Valve that make the boxes, but VU Games (the
    > distributor). How can you get those two confused?

    And do you have any comment to make on the article itself? (Other than
    the Altavista translation is a bugger to read? "Necessityness"!)

    I think it's a fair claim - the retail box should say clearly that the
    game requires online registration for all modes of play, including
    single-player, because this is a new concept and the public won't
    necessarily be aware of it.

    For the same reason, the EULA should be in a choice of languages
    because people need to be aware of the important differences it
    introduces. And that one is Valve's concern.

    Mean_Chlorine wrote:
    > Thusly "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:
    >
    > >For the same reason, the EULA should be in a choice of languages
    > >because people need to be aware of the important differences it
    > >introduces. And that one is Valve's concern.
    >
    > Why?
    > The EULA is only a readme. It is NOT a contract, as you don't sign
    > anything.

    The enforceability of EULAs is unknown until a court rules on it. And
    so far, courts have treated each case on its own merits, so there is no
    definitive answer as to whether they are enforceable or not. Arguably,
    you have "digitally signed" or knowingly indicated your agreement when
    you installed the game. Whether or not it is enforceable, or is just a
    readme, it claims some authority in how you use the product, and
    therefore should be accessible to the user.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 06:57:57 +0000, sayNO2steam
    <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Germany makes Valve change HL2 box

    Valve aren't the publisher you frigging clueless moron. Nice to see
    you are showing yourself as a real troll and changing your address.
    *plonk*
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    sayNO2steam wrote:

    <snip>
    > Is the Half-Life 2 EULA illegal?
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21105
    >
    > The consumer protection takes care of the Half Life 2 case
    > (in german)
    > http://www.hardtecs4u.com/?id=1107046955,31360,ht4u.php
    > (german translated)
    > http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hardtecs4u.com%2F%3Fid%3D1107046955%2C31360%2Cht4u.php&lp=de_en

    I thought the point was the EULA was only in English? It also sounds
    like the box just has to say the game is transferable only if you sell
    your user account back....

    When does the Gothic 2 expansion hit American shores...that is the
    question ;-)
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> writes:

    > Germany makes Valve change HL2 box

    How? It's not Valve that make the boxes, but VU Games (the
    distributor). How can you get those two confused?
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "sayNO2steam" wrote

    > Germany makes Valve change HL2 box
    >
    > this is good news for gamers and the protection of consumer rights
    > Germany was the first to see what us gamers have been warning since
    > the beginning, that HL2 is being sold in a retail box with no PROPER
    > labeling or info about the $team technology that its selling

    So instead of forcing the shops to follow the consumer rights which in many
    countries forces the shop a money back garantie if the sold item is
    deffective
    The go for the publisher ?

    The inquirer describes that you can deliver back the game and get your money
    back whether the package is broken or not - this is also the case in DK -
    and probably other countries

    An action like this will probably be the most effective above all

    Just my two cents

    - Peter
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 06:57:57 +0000, sayNO2steam
    > <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Germany makes Valve change HL2 box
    >
    > Valve aren't the publisher you frigging clueless moron. Nice to see
    > you are showing yourself as a real troll and changing your address.
    > *plonk*

    What's with you guys. This is a trivial mistake, it was not at the
    centerpiece of the post as to whether it was valve, or VU, which
    made the change. It's just nitpicking a sub-detail. It was actually
    interesting information in those links.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Jim Vieira" <whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote in message

    > > >Germany makes Valve change HL2 box
    > > Valve aren't the publisher you frigging clueless moron. Nice to see
    > > you are showing yourself as a real troll and changing your address.
    > > *plonk*
    > What's with you guys. This is a trivial mistake, it was not at the
    > centerpiece of the post as to whether it was valve, or VU, which
    > made the change. It's just nitpicking a sub-detail. It was actually
    > interesting information in those links.

    The Steam fanatics will grab hold of the smallest detail in order to derail
    criticism of their beloved Steam. Valve can do absolutely no wrong, you see.

    Yes Vivendi is the publisher but VALVE is the one that made these draconian
    rules regarding selling Steam-infected games. Can't sell the game without
    paying $10 to Valve? They deserve a lawsuit for that one alone.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:58:01 GMT, "Jim Vieira"
    <whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote:

    >What's with you guys. This is a trivial mistake, it was not at the
    >centerpiece of the post as to whether it was valve, or VU, which
    >made the change. It's just nitpicking a sub-detail. It was actually
    >interesting information in those links.

    It is not a trivial mistake. DiFool has been making libelous
    statements against Valve for over two months now, and not knowing that
    Valve don't publish the game just shows how truly ignorant of the
    facts he is and should just STFU.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:58:01 GMT, "Jim Vieira"
    > <whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote:
    >
    >>What's with you guys. This is a trivial mistake, it was not at the
    >>centerpiece of the post as to whether it was valve, or VU, which
    >>made the change. It's just nitpicking a sub-detail. It was actually
    >>interesting information in those links.
    >
    > It is not a trivial mistake. DiFool has been making libelous
    > statements against Valve for over two months now, and not knowing that
    > Valve don't publish the game just shows how truly ignorant of the
    > facts he is and should just STFU.

    Valve publish it through Steam.

    Thusly "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

    >For the same reason, the EULA should be in a choice of languages
    >because people need to be aware of the important differences it
    >introduces. And that one is Valve's concern.

    Why?
    The EULA is only a readme. It is NOT a contract, as you don't sign
    anything.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 06:55:53 -0500, "HockeyTownUSA"
    <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:

    >Valve publish it through Steam.

    a) They sell and distribute it through Steam.
    b) There isn't a box to change the wording on.

    Thusly "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

    >> Why?
    >> The EULA is only a readme. It is NOT a contract, as you don't sign
    >> anything.
    >
    >The enforceability of EULAs is unknown until a court rules on it. And
    >so far, courts have treated each case on its own merits, so there is no
    >definitive answer as to whether they are enforceable or not.

    True, there is room for doubt, and the software industry has been
    lobbying HARD for several years to get shrinkwrap-licenses/EULA's
    accepted.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > The consumer protection takes care of the Half Life 2 case
    > (in german)
    > http://www.hardtecs4u.com/?id=1107046955,31360,ht4u.php
    > (german translated)
    > http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?url=http%3A%
    > 2F%2Fwww.hardtecs4u.com%2F%3Fid%3D1107046955%2C31360%2Cht4u.php&lp=de_e

    Excellent move for Germany. Well worth noticing. Im sure that publishers
    will save themselves some hassle ahead of time by putting information like
    this on any new games in that category

    Gandalf Parker
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    HockeyTownUSA wrote:

    > Valve publish it through Steam.

    Which doesn't come in a box ...
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:31:29 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
    wrote:

    >Valve aren't the publisher you frigging clueless moron. Nice to see
    >you are showing yourself as a real troll and changing your address.
    >*plonk*

    Valve are the developers of Steam you moron.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:00:36 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
    wrote:

    >It is not a trivial mistake. DiFool has been making libelous
    >statements against Valve for over two months now, and not knowing that
    >Valve don't publish the game just shows how truly ignorant of the
    >facts he is and should just STFU.

    Vivendi didn't foist Steam upon us dork, Valve did.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Gandalf Parker wrote:
    > sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in
    >

    >>The consumer protection takes care of the Half Life 2 case
    >>(in german)
    >>http://www.hardtecs4u.com/?id=1107046955,31360,ht4u.php
    >>(german translated)
    >>http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?url=http%3A%
    >>2F%2Fwww.hardtecs4u.com%2F%3Fid%3D1107046955%2C31360%2Cht4u.php&lp=de_e
    >

    > Excellent move for Germany. Well worth noticing. Im sure that publishers
    > will save themselves some hassle ahead of time by putting information like
    > this on any new games in that category

    Not only that. The Consumer Protection Association explicitly demands
    that Vivendi and Valve change the setup of their games so that the game,
    and the steam account, can be sold to a third party without any penalty.
    I don't know if they will be successful, but they have a lot of clout
    here in Germany. IIRC, this is the first time this organization has
    become active on the video sector. A very good sign.

    Werner

    > Gandalf Parker
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> Spake Unto All:

    >> It is not a trivial mistake. DiFool has been making libelous
    >> statements against Valve for over two months now, and not knowing that
    >> Valve don't publish the game just shows how truly ignorant of the
    >> facts he is and should just STFU.

    >Valve publish it through Steam.

    In retail boxes? Those sneaky bastards!
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    In <110mvi6blcg9gaf@news.supernews.com> "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> writes:

    >The Steam fanatics will grab hold of the smallest detail in order to derail
    >criticism of their beloved Steam. Valve can do absolutely no wrong, you see.

    >Yes Vivendi is the publisher but VALVE is the one that made these draconian
    >rules regarding selling Steam-infected games. Can't sell the game without
    >paying $10 to Valve? They deserve a lawsuit for that one alone.

    I'm pretty sure they don't need a lawsuit as sales for their steam
    next game will surely drop. I know lots of people who won't buy any
    steam game again (me included). Once bitten ,twice shy.

    --
    Henrik Schmidt Christian-Albrechts-Universitaet zu Kiel
    Institut fuer Informatik +49 (431) 880 75 - 50 Fax or 43 Phone

    Werner Arend <nefar@arcor.de> wrote in

    > Gandalf Parker wrote:
    >> sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in
    >>

    >>>The consumer protection takes care of the Half Life 2 case
    >>>(in german)
    >>>http://www.hardtecs4u.com/?id=1107046955,31360,ht4u.php
    >>>(german translated)
    >>>http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?url=http%3A
    >>>%
    >>>2F%2Fwww.hardtecs4u.com%2F%3Fid%3D1107046955%2C31360%2Cht4u.php&lp=de_
    >>>e n
    >>

    >> Excellent move for Germany. Well worth noticing. Im sure that
    >> publishers will save themselves some hassle ahead of time by putting
    >> information like this on any new games in that category
    >
    > Not only that. The Consumer Protection Association explicitly demands
    > that Vivendi and Valve change the setup of their games so that the
    > game, and the steam account, can be sold to a third party without any
    > penalty. I don't know if they will be successful, but they have a lot
    > of clout here in Germany. IIRC, this is the first time this
    > organization has become active on the video sector. A very good sign.

    Im not sure if that will go over. The game yes, in fact I think that has
    already been fought a few times. But there are many non-computer accounts
    which cannot be resold so I think the legal system will look to those as
    a precedent.

    In the US it will fall against the same wall that all of it has. You buy
    the media but not what is on it. What you can and cannot do with a CD,
    tape, book, recording, music, whatever is pretty much the same for all of
    them.

    Gandalf Parker
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    sayNO2steam wrote:

    > $team

    Why are you spelling Steam like that? How do Valve make money off Steam
    in a way that annoys you? Electronic distribution is an option that some
    wish to take and has nothing at all to do with authentication or
    wharever silly thing you are all upset about.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    In article <Xns95F95C1BAA41Bgandalfparker@208.201.224.154>, Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:

    >In the US it will fall against the same wall that all of it has. You buy
    >the media but not what is on it. What you can and cannot do with a CD,
    >tape, book, recording, music, whatever is pretty much the same for all of
    >them.

    That is absolutely correct.

    What then does the consumer "own" with a media-less distribution? What
    guarantees or rights does she possess?
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Chadwick wrote:
    > Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
    >
    >>sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> writes:
    >>

    >>>Germany makes Valve change HL2 box
    >>
    >>How? It's not Valve that make the boxes, but VU Games (the
    >>distributor). How can you get those two confused?
    >

    > And do you have any comment to make on the article itself? (Other than
    > the Altavista translation is a bugger to read? "Necessityness"!)
    >
    > I think it's a fair claim - the retail box should say clearly that the
    > game requires online registration for all modes of play, including
    > single-player, because this is a new concept and the public won't
    > necessarily be aware of it.
    >
    > For the same reason, the EULA should be in a choice of languages
    > because people need to be aware of the important differences it
    > introduces. And that one is Valve's concern.

    Agreed on one point Chadwick. Vivendi's box should be clearer that
    online authentication is required for single player (and Valve should
    relent if they instructed Vivendi on the wording). They should perhaps
    also consider giving an idea of how long this might take on 56k dial up
    (as many download sites currently do with other files) and warn that
    this could be considerably longer when patches also need to be
    downloaded. Haven't read the rest - never sell a game - never buy
    second hand. No probs whatsoever with Steam. Will buy future Steam games.

    --
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
    so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"

    Bertrand Russell
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> abagooba zoink larblortch news:cufo0t
    $vde$01$2@news.t-online.com:

    > HockeyTownUSA wrote:
    >>

    >> Valve publish it through Steam.
    >>

    > Which doesn't come in a box ...

    No, steam come in kettle.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly jeff@work.com (Jeff) Spake Unto All:

    >>In the US it will fall against the same wall that all of it has. You buy
    >>the media but not what is on it. What you can and cannot do with a CD,
    >>tape, book, recording, music, whatever is pretty much the same for all of
    >>them.
    >
    >That is absolutely correct.
    >
    >What then does the consumer "own" with a media-less distribution? What
    >guarantees or rights does she possess?

    The same as always: a license to use.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Germany makes Valve change HL2 box
    >
    > this is good news for gamers and the protection of consumer rights
    > Germany was the first to see what us gamers have been warning since
    > the beginning, that HL2 is being sold in a retail box with no PROPER
    > labeling or info about the $team technology that its selling

    This is bad news for the publisher of Half Life 2. Although "sayNO2steam",
    who writes an awlful lot like difool, failed to mention that in this case
    the publisher is VU Games. VU Games is not Valve which is the developer of
    HL2. VU Games is the same old standard publisher that we've been dealing
    with for the last several years. This publisher has robbed the developer
    of HL2 (Valve) of royalties, and is now being less than honest with single
    player customers about setting up and playing HL2 single player component.

    In fact, I'm still waiting for a picture posted on the web by difool that
    compares the VU Games CEO to Stalin, or Pol Pot, or Josef Mengele...

    > the insignificant reference you can find in the bottom of HL2 back
    > cover to "internet required" is totally insuficient to describe what
    > $team is and does and requires, so this move Germany made is very
    > welcome
    >
    > but also Germany makes reference to shifts in the traditional way
    > of selling games that also have to be addressed, like not being able
    > to sell it in the 2nd hand market or the fee you must pay valve to
    > change cd-key ownership
    > Germany looked at much more than the simple "internet required" but
    > to the brother picture of that $team is trying to do
    >
    > we now hope every country in the world will follow Germany path and
    > much more investigation will be made to valve and $team, cause we
    > won a battle but not the war! we must go on and continue fighting
    > cause it ain't over yet

    The publisher of HL2 is VU Games. They're the ones that are being less
    than honest about what's on the HL2 box.

    As to the war, it's just a matter of time. One day soon, CD/DVDs will be
    setting next to the abacas, slide rule, 8 inch floppy, and the 8-track in a
    museum.

    <snip>
    > ps: a big thanks to olddog that first post this great breaking news

    No need to thank me. Cause my next pc game is going to be box-free,
    gas-free, save the envirnoment, .... which means I'm looking forward to the
    next Steam released game. ;)

    ps Are you difool? The same person that's called me: stupid, Steam
    lover, ignorant, dumb, dumber, dumbest, selfish, uncaring, ....? Cause
    there's no need to thank me for pointing out ground breaking news about
    flaws in the PUBLISHERs game box. ;)

    > --
    > test

    test complete.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Jamie_Manic" wrote :

    > Why are you spelling Steam like that? How do Valve make money off Steam in
    > a way that annoys you? Electronic distribution is an option that some wish
    > to take and has nothing at all to do with authentication or wharever silly
    > thing you are all upset about.

    Yeah electronic distribution has been a defacto standard for many years now
    To mention a couple in the Enterprise Business
    SAP, Legato, VMWare and our own company for that matters

    Valve may have taken the wrong step and forgot all those people who only
    wanted the SP version - imho they should have made the darn thing playable
    without Steam
    If anyone then opted for patch etc it would have been ok with the Steam
    thing - imho

    But face it at least the last three to years HL has been the foundation of a
    rapidly growing online gaming business for FPS
    A business you have to face and address the demands
    Valve decided to introduce Steam

    Steampowered kan be found as early as May 2002
    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.steampowered.com

    And here's the first press release about Steam from Valve, dated March 2002
    http://web.archive.org/web/20021209154806/www.steampowered.com/HTML/Press_Release.html

    - Peter
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:36:05 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
    wrote:

    >This is bad news for the publisher of Half Life 2. Although "sayNO2steam",
    >who writes an awlful lot like difool, failed to mention that in this case
    >the publisher is VU Games.

    Sorry OldDog, this is a fact free thread. I tried to point it out, but
    DiF***wits cronies informed me that mere facts weren't important and
    all that mattered was that FUD is spread far and wide.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:36:05 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >This is bad news for the publisher of Half Life 2. Although
    "sayNO2steam",
    > >who writes an awlful lot like difool, failed to mention that in this case
    > >the publisher is VU Games.
    >
    > Sorry OldDog, this is a fact free thread. I tried to point it out, but
    > DiF***wits cronies informed me that mere facts weren't important and
    > all that mattered was that FUD is spread far and wide.
    > --

    "Just the facts, ma'am" ;)

    ps leave your opinion on the ground and step away from the car with your
    hands in the air.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    jeff@work.com (Jeff) wrote in news:cugbh3$jp2$1@cronkite.cc.uga.edu:

    > In article <Xns95F95C1BAA41Bgandalfparker@208.201.224.154>, Gandalf
    > Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:
    >
    >>In the US it will fall against the same wall that all of it has. You
    >>buy the media but not what is on it. What you can and cannot do with a
    >>CD, tape, book, recording, music, whatever is pretty much the same for
    >>all of them.
    >
    > That is absolutely correct.
    >
    > What then does the consumer "own" with a media-less distribution?
    > What guarantees or rights does she possess?

    He owns nothing and gains no rights by it. Thats not really going to be a
    problem. If he bought a CD with a game on it, then he owns a CD but not
    the game. All priveleges about the game are spelled out and allowed
    seperate.

    On a DirectDownload purchase his rights to the game are the same, but he
    has no media ownership rights. He gained the program by a "service
    contract" and once that action is complete his rights are pretty few.

    Gandalf Parker
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    >He owns nothing and gains no rights by it. Thats not really going to be a
    >problem. If he bought a CD with a game on it, then he owns a CD but not
    >the game.

    I'm sorry. Did UCITA or some other simlar law pass? Until they do,
    and even if they do, I'll regard the doctrine of first sale
    in high esteem, and hold to certain English Common Law principles such
    as "a meeting of the minds". Ethically, a license tossed into a box
    has as much meaning to me as toilet paper.

    Any reply whatsoever to this message indicates your agreement to sign
    over all future equity in your house to me.

    *woof*

    C//
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:40:51 -0800, Chris Pound
    <Chris@invalid.noemail> wrote:

    >Valve are the developers of Steam you moron.

    Did IQ's just drop sharply while I was away?</aliens>
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:40:51 -0800, Chris Pound
    > <Chris@invalid.noemail> wrote:
    >
    >>Valve are the developers of Steam you moron.
    >
    > Did IQ's just drop sharply while I was away?</aliens>
    > --
    Affirmative</newt>
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Courageous" <dontwant@spam.com> wrote in message

    >>He owns nothing and gains no rights by it. Thats not really going to be a
    >>problem. If he bought a CD with a game on it, then he owns a CD but not
    >>the game.
    >
    > I'm sorry. Did UCITA or some other simlar law pass? Until they do,
    > and even if they do, I'll regard the doctrine of first sale
    > in high esteem, and hold to certain English Common Law principles such
    > as "a meeting of the minds". Ethically, a license tossed into a box
    > has as much meaning to me as toilet paper.
    >
    > Any reply whatsoever to this message indicates your agreement to sign
    > over all future equity in your house to me.
    >
    > *woof*
    >
    > C//

    But..

    D'OH
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    >> Any reply whatsoever to this message indicates your agreement to sign
    >> over all future equity in your house to me.

    >But.. D'OH

    *bellowing diabolical laughter*
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Courageous" <dontwant@spam.com> wrote in message

    > >He owns nothing and gains no rights by it. Thats not really going to be a
    > >problem. If he bought a CD with a game on it, then he owns a CD but not
    > >the game.
    >
    > I'm sorry. Did UCITA or some other simlar law pass? Until they do,
    > and even if they do, I'll regard the doctrine of first sale
    > in high esteem, and hold to certain English Common Law principles such
    > as "a meeting of the minds". Ethically, a license tossed into a box
    > has as much meaning to me as toilet paper.
    >
    > Any reply whatsoever to this message indicates your agreement to sign
    > over all future equity in your house to me.
    >
    > *woof*
    >
    > C//

    Aggghhh! You made me look up UCITA! And the doctrine of first sale!!!

    But it was interesting stuff. ;)

    http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/copycorner32Anne.htm

    http://www.arl.org/info/frn/copy/ucita101.html

    The first sale doctrine is one of the most important copyright law
    principles for libraries.

    U.C.I.T.A., the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act, a model law
    proposed by the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform Laws, would
    further validate these take-it-or-leave licenses.

    ps the house key is in the mail.
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly Chris Pound <Chris@invalid.noemail> Spake Unto All:

    >>It is not a trivial mistake. DiFool has been making libelous
    >>statements against Valve for over two months now, and not knowing that
    >>Valve don't publish the game just shows how truly ignorant of the
    >>facts he is and should just STFU.
    >
    >Vivendi didn't foist Steam upon us dork, Valve did.

    Moron. That isn't what this thread is about the box design which Valve
    DIDN'T do is.

    BTW, you forgot the "s" after "dork".

    Jeez, is it a prerequisite to have an IQ below 80 to be an
    anti-steamer?

    --
    The US employs divide-and-conquer against EU
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-02/10/content_2567438.htm

    The US is no longer our ally: Federalize NOW!
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> Spake Unto All:

    >On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:40:51 -0800, Chris Pound
    ><Chris@invalid.noemail> wrote:
    >
    >>Valve are the developers of Steam you moron.
    >
    >Did IQ's just drop sharply while I was away?</aliens>

    Amazing, isn't it. And all in the last month or so.

    There's something about steam which motivates the truly genuinely
    *stupid* to come here to bitch and moan.

    More than likely that their accounts got banned for piracy, cheating,
    or carding.

    --
    The US employs divide-and-conquer against EU
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-02/10/content_2567438.htm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3981499.stm
    http://www.fsfinalword.com/archive/Divide_and_conquer.html

    The US is no longer our ally: Federalize NOW!
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly Courageous <dontwant@spam.com> Spake Unto All:

    >as "a meeting of the minds". Ethically, a license tossed into a box
    >has as much meaning to me as toilet paper.

    I really, truly, agree with you. The idea that shrinkwraps/EULAs are
    binding contracts is repulsive, and the motivation, that the
    technology does not allow for an easy way to have the user sign
    documents, is frankly silly.
    However, in just the last two years the software companies massive
    lobbying has started to pay off, and right now it seems as if
    shrinkwraps/EULAs may soon be accepted as legally binding.

    EULA: All Your Base Are Belong To Us. Reading this post indicates
    acceptance of these terms.

    --
    The US employs divide-and-conquer against EU
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-02/10/content_2567438.htm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3981499.stm
    http://www.fsfinalword.com/archive/Divide_and_conquer.html

    The US is no longer our ally: Federalize NOW!
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    It seems that all this bad publicity is from newbies to HL. Those of us
    who've been on HL, CS and DOD for years (5 years) had our ears to the ground
    and KNEW WHAT TO EXPECT.

    Sure, Steam was a new and a pain at first but we quickly adapted.

    Every negative detail I've read in this NG was exposed PRIOR TO HL2's
    RELEASE.

    SO, if your sorry ass found it's way here on the NG's you should've already
    know what was up. If your sorry ass recieved HL2 for Chistmas... well, I
    understand your newbie 'tude.
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "- - : R A T B o y : - -" <- - : R A T B o y : - -@shovit_dude.com> wrote in
    message news:LkUOd.39786$uA.4379@fe1.texas.rr.com...
    > It seems that all this bad publicity is from newbies to HL. Those of us
    > who've been on HL, CS and DOD for years (5 years) had our ears to the
    ground
    > and KNEW WHAT TO EXPECT.
    >
    > Sure, Steam was a new and a pain at first but we quickly adapted.
    >
    > Every negative detail I've read in this NG was exposed PRIOR TO HL2's
    > RELEASE.
    >
    > SO, if your sorry ass found it's way here on the NG's you should've
    already
    > know what was up. If your sorry ass recieved HL2 for Chistmas... well, I
    > understand your newbie 'tude.

    This sorry ass got it for Xmas. For some sorry ass reason, my wife thought
    that I would enjoy it. I did the first time thru. For some sorry ass
    reason, I quit about 25% thru my 2nd time.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    OldDog wrote:
    > "- - : R A T B o y : - -" <- - : R A T B o y : - -@shovit_dude.com> wrote in
    > message news:LkUOd.39786$uA.4379@fe1.texas.rr.com...
    >
    >>It seems that all this bad publicity is from newbies to HL. Those of us
    >>who've been on HL, CS and DOD for years (5 years) had our ears to the
    >
    > ground
    >
    >>and KNEW WHAT TO EXPECT.
    >>
    >>Sure, Steam was a new and a pain at first but we quickly adapted.
    >>
    >>Every negative detail I've read in this NG was exposed PRIOR TO HL2's
    >>RELEASE.
    >>
    >>SO, if your sorry ass found it's way here on the NG's you should've
    >
    > already
    >
    >>know what was up. If your sorry ass recieved HL2 for Chistmas... well, I
    >>understand your newbie 'tude.
    >>

    > This sorry ass got it for Xmas. For some sorry ass reason, my wife thought
    > that I would enjoy it. I did the first time thru. For some sorry ass
    > reason, I quit about 25% thru my 2nd time.

    That must be a real sore ass you've got there. :)
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:53:55 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
    <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Moron. That isn't what this thread is about the box design which Valve
    >DIDN'T do is.
    >
    >BTW, you forgot the "s" after "dork".
    >
    >Jeez, is it a prerequisite to have an IQ below 80 to be an
    >anti-steamer?

    dork=singular
    dorks=plural
    dork=you (singular)
    your IQ must be below 60
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Chris Pound wrote:
    > > dork=singular
    > dorks=plural
    > dork=you (singular)
    > your IQ must be below 60

    If you'd been aiming the comment an individual, you'd have needed a
    comma:
    - Vivendi didn't foist Steam upon us, dork, Valve did

    IQ heading for the low 40s...
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Jeff wrote:

    > In article <Xns95F95C1BAA41Bgandalfparker@208.201.224.154>, Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:
    >

    >>In the US it will fall against the same wall that all of it has. You buy
    >>the media but not what is on it. What you can and cannot do with a CD,
    >>tape, book, recording, music, whatever is pretty much the same for all of
    >>them.
    >

    > That is absolutely correct.
    >
    > What then does the consumer "own" with a media-less distribution? What
    > guarantees or rights does she possess?

    Same as alway.

    On that note, what is the big push with she rather than they, them, us,
    and we?
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Chris Pound <Chris@invalid.noemail> writes:

    > Valve are the developers of Steam you moron.

    Yes, and Valve are very up front about HL2 using Steam. It's the
    makers of the retail boxes - i.e. the publisher VU Games - that have
    made a boo-boo with the box.
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, OldDog wrote:

    > The publisher of HL2 is VU Games. They're the ones that are being less
    > than honest about what's on the HL2 box.

    Hello? AFAIK VU Games was fighting in court to prevent the whole Steam
    issue in the first place. I bet if Valve would let them, there would be
    retail versions without Steam, which of course would lower Steam sales
    which Valve is not interested in...

  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote in message

    > This is bad news for the publisher of Half Life 2. Although
    "sayNO2steam",
    > who writes an awlful lot like difool, failed to mention that in this case
    > the publisher is VU Games. VU Games is not Valve which is the developer
    of
    > HL2. VU Games is the same old standard publisher that we've been dealing
    > with for the last several years. This publisher has robbed the developer
    > of HL2 (Valve) of royalties, and is now being less than honest with single
    > player customers about setting up and playing HL2 single player component.

    As others have pointed out, Valve is the developer of Steam and it is they
    who made it mandatory for retail-boxed copies as well. Vivendi has to make
    changes to the box becasue of Valve. Vivendi are opposing Steam only because
    it is affecting their share of the profits when the game is sold only
    through Steam; basically they're doing the right thing for their own
    benefit.

Valve Games IBM Video Games