Germany makes Valve change HL2 box - page 2

145 answers Last reply
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On that special day, Gandalf Parker,
    (gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites) said...

    > If he bought a CD with a game on it, then he owns a CD but not
    > the game.

    Does that mean, if I buy a book, I own the paper, but not the letters on
    it? Your description is exactly like this.

    Gabriele Neukam

    Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

    just so, at no cost.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Gabriele Neukam wrote:

    > On that special day, Gandalf Parker,
    > (gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites) said...
    >

    >>If he bought a CD with a game on it, then he owns a CD but not
    >>the game.
    >

    > Does that mean, if I buy a book, I own the paper, but not the letters on
    > it? Your description is exactly like this.

    That's the way it works though...you own the medium, but not the data on
    it...
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Chris Pound wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:31:29 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Valve aren't the publisher you frigging clueless moron. Nice to see
    >>you are showing yourself as a real troll and changing your address.
    >>*plonk*
    >

    > Valve are the developers of Steam you moron.

    Looks we have a new "angry voice of gaming".

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 05:10:58 GMT, Jeff Holinski
    <nospam_holinski@shaw.ca> wrote:

    >When people refer to IQ's they're refering to the score not what time
    >you took it.

    Yea, well, IQ tests aren't about proper use of puncuation either.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, OldDog wrote:
    >
    > > The publisher of HL2 is VU Games. They're the ones that are being less
    > > than honest about what's on the HL2 box.
    >
    > Hello? AFAIK VU Games was fighting in court to prevent the whole Steam
    > issue in the first place. I bet if Valve would let them, there would be
    > retail versions without Steam, which of course would lower Steam sales
    > which Valve is not interested in...

    I just realized that when I started this thread that I wrote Valve in the
    subject line. I don't have the link any more, but I don't see how going
    after Valve will do anything about how the Publisher markets the game. Oh
    well, it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

    Thusly Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> Spake
    Unto All:

    >> If he bought a CD with a game on it, then he owns a CD but not
    >> the game.
    >
    >Does that mean, if I buy a book, I own the paper, but not the letters on
    >it? Your description is exactly like this.

    That is exactly what it means, yes.
    You own the medium, so you can burn or sell the book, but you don't
    own the content, so you cant xerox it and sell copies.

    --
    The US employs divide-and-conquer against EU
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-02/10/content_2567438.htm

    The US is no longer our ally: Federalize NOW!

    Thusly Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> Spake Unto All:

    >>>Valve aren't the publisher you frigging clueless moron. Nice to see
    >>>you are showing yourself as a real troll and changing your address.
    >>>*plonk*
    >>

    >> Valve are the developers of Steam you moron.
    >
    >Looks we have a new "angry voice of gaming".

    Hell hath no fury like a pirate banned.

    --
    The US employs divide-and-conquer against EU
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-02/10/content_2567438.htm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3981499.stm
    http://www.fsfinalword.com/archive/Divide_and_conquer.html

    The US is no longer our ally: Federalize NOW!

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:26:46 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
    <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hell hath no fury like a pirate banned.

    I don't have HL2 on my PC, not even a pirated version. I've got better
    games to play.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote in

    > On that special day, Gandalf Parker,
    > (gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites) said...
    >
    >> If he bought a CD with a game on it, then he owns a CD but not
    >> the game.
    >
    > Does that mean, if I buy a book, I own the paper, but not the letters
    > on it? Your description is exactly like this.

    Exactly. What you can and cannot do are based on owning the book, and
    not what is written in it. You can sell a book, or burn it, or use it
    for a completely different purpose such as propping up the leg of a
    table. You cannot sell what was written in the book, you have to sell
    your copy of it. You cannot use part of what is written in the book as
    part of another project except in very specifically allowed cases. In
    other words the rights you have are defined very differently between the
    book (owning the media) and the content (what is in the book). The same
    goes for music tapes. The same goes for movie VCRs. The same goes for
    buying a magazine, or a newspaper, or a any media.

    But for SOME reason, I keep seeing people in these newsgroups saying
    stupid things about their rights to do things with a program based on
    buying it on a CD. Some get it right but many others want to shift it
    from owning the CD to owning the program. If they thought about the fact
    that the laws are based on the same rights and privileges as any other
    media (until new laws are written) they would do much better in these
    conversations.

    Gandalf Parker

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:48:44 -0800, Chris Pound
    <Chris@invalid.noemail> wrote:

    >Yea, well, IQ tests aren't about proper use of puncuation either.

    Or spelling.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:36:05 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
    wrote:

    >"sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Germany makes Valve change HL2 box
    >>
    >> this is good news for gamers and the protection of consumer rights
    >> Germany was the first to see what us gamers have been warning since
    >> the beginning, that HL2 is being sold in a retail box with no PROPER
    >> labeling or info about the $team technology that its selling
    >>

    >This is bad news for the publisher of Half Life 2. Although "sayNO2steam",
    >who writes an awlful lot like difool, failed to mention that in this case
    >the publisher is VU Games. VU Games is not Valve which is the developer of
    >HL2. VU Games is the same old standard publisher that we've been dealing
    >with for the last several years. This publisher has robbed the developer
    >of HL2 (Valve) of royalties, and is now being less than honest with single
    >player customers about setting up and playing HL2 single player component.

    You need not worry. I suspect that VU will get out of any retail
    distribution contract with Valve as fast as they can. You have
    conveniently forgotten that Valve/VU litigation is still pending on
    Valve's use of Steam as an alternate distribution without VU
    approval.

    In fact, I shall be very interested in seeing exactly who will
    retail-distribute future Valve games. If Valve sticks with
    on-line sales only, then they will surely die and their IP/key
    technical personnel be cheaply bought out (and the company
    disbanded) by a big retail distributor such as EA.

    John Lewis

    Thusly john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) Spake Unto All:

    >You need not worry. I suspect that VU will get out of any retail
    >distribution contract with Valve as fast as they can.

    After HL2 sold for $25M?
    Yeah, I bet they'll be just itching to drop that contract.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    In article <Xns95FB3DB326938gandalfparker@208.201.224.154>,
    Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:

    >Exactly. What you can and cannot do are based on owning the book, and
    >not what is written in it. You can sell a book, or burn it, or use it
    >for a completely different purpose such as propping up the leg of a
    >table. You cannot sell what was written in the book, you have to sell
    >your copy of it.
    > (...)

    Is this concept compatible with a $10 fee for transferring the right
    to use the copy to somebody else?

    Cheers
    Bent D
    --