catalyst 5.5 problems and codecs

Installed 5.5 catalyst last night and now WindowsMovieMaker is acting up.
Some files that previously opened fine, crash the program now or load
without previews.

ATI tech today said Catalyst installs new codecs. Gee, thanks for the
warning! Then he said I should figure out which ones got replaced and find
them and install them.

Anyone know where a list of original install codecs for MovieMaker 2 in XP
can be found?

The tech also said I could use a system restore point (which i made before
installing the drivers) to go back to the previous driver, but it didnt
work. "No changes made to system".

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"Rod Phipps" <oldmoose@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:dbMie.2226$%R1.2118@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> Installed 5.5 catalyst last night and now WindowsMovieMaker is acting up.
> Some files that previously opened fine, crash the program now or load
> without previews.
>
> ATI tech today said Catalyst installs new codecs. Gee, thanks for the
> warning! Then he said I should figure out which ones got replaced and find
> them and install them.

Thanks for the warning indeed. Thank God for guinea pigs.

I would have asked the tech for a list of codecs Catalyst 5.5
replaces, and then laughed disgustedly when he said they
don't have that information.

> Anyone know where a list of original install codecs for MovieMaker 2 in XP
> can be found?
>
> The tech also said I could use a system restore point (which i made before
> installing the drivers) to go back to the previous driver, but it didnt
> work. "No changes made to system".
>
> Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Switch to nVidia.

"Rick" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "Rod Phipps" <oldmoose@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Installed 5.5 catalyst last night and now WindowsMovieMaker is acting up.
>> Some files that previously opened fine, crash the program now or load
>> without previews.
>>
>> ATI tech today said Catalyst installs new codecs. Gee, thanks for the
>> warning! Then he said I should figure out which ones got replaced and
>> find
>> them and install them.
>
> Thanks for the warning indeed. Thank God for guinea pigs.
>
> I would have asked the tech for a list of codecs Catalyst 5.5
> replaces, and then laughed disgustedly when he said they
> don't have that information.
>
>> Anyone know where a list of original install codecs for MovieMaker 2 in
>> XP
>> can be found?
>>
>> The tech also said I could use a system restore point (which i made
>> before
>> installing the drivers) to go back to the previous driver, but it didnt
>> work. "No changes made to system".
>>
>> Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

For the record, as far as Im aware there is only one codec ATI driver
installs. Its one for the WDM capture chips some cards use/have like Rage
theater chip (ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec). Other than that, at least in
all the beta drivers Ive tested thus far no other codec has ever been
replaced. That said I am checking with someone else at ATI to make sure Im
right on this and will post back if learn Im incorrect on this.

aye, like with everything, tis a good idea to see what other people
say first :)

On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:00:36 -0400, "Rod Phipps"
<oldmoose@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Installed 5.5 catalyst last night and now WindowsMovieMaker is acting up.
>Some files that previously opened fine, crash the program now or load
>without previews.
>
>ATI tech today said Catalyst installs new codecs. Gee, thanks for the
>warning! Then he said I should figure out which ones got replaced and find
>them and install them.
>
>Anyone know where a list of original install codecs for MovieMaker 2 in XP
>can be found?
>
>The tech also said I could use a system restore point (which i made before
>installing the drivers) to go back to the previous driver, but it didnt
>work. "No changes made to system".
>
>Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

"Rod Phipps" <oldmoose@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Installed 5.5 catalyst last night and now WindowsMovieMaker is acting up.
>Some files that previously opened fine, crash the program now or load
>without previews.
>
>ATI tech today said Catalyst installs new codecs. Gee, thanks for the
>warning! Then he said I should figure out which ones got replaced and find
>them and install them.
>
>Anyone know where a list of original install codecs for MovieMaker 2 in XP
>can be found?
>
>The tech also said I could use a system restore point (which i made before
>installing the drivers) to go back to the previous driver, but it didnt
>work. "No changes made to system".
>
>Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Try the checker at
http://tinyurl.com/6xog7

Dennis

Ian

Rick wrote:
> "Rod Phipps" <oldmoose@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Installed 5.5 catalyst last night and now WindowsMovieMaker is
>> acting up. Some files that previously opened fine, crash the program
>> now or load without previews.
>>
>> ATI tech today said Catalyst installs new codecs. Gee, thanks for the
>> warning! Then he said I should figure out which ones got replaced
>> and find them and install them.
>
> Thanks for the warning indeed. Thank God for guinea pigs.
>
> I would have asked the tech for a list of codecs Catalyst 5.5
> replaces, and then laughed disgustedly when he said they
> don't have that information.
>
>> Anyone know where a list of original install codecs for MovieMaker 2
>> in XP can be found?
>>
>> The tech also said I could use a system restore point (which i made
>> before installing the drivers) to go back to the previous driver,
>> but it didnt work. "No changes made to system".
>>
>> Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Switch to nVidia.

Re-install Movie Maker 2? If you got yours via SP2, re-install that, maybe.
You can also download a standard codec pack from Microsoft.com, which may
help to replace all the standard codecs. I apologise that I am guessing a
bit here. Good luck and thanks for the warning!

Ian

Ian wrote:
> Rick wrote:
>> "Rod Phipps" <oldmoose@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> Installed 5.5 catalyst last night and now WindowsMovieMaker is
>>> acting up. Some files that previously opened fine, crash the program
>>> now or load without previews.
>>>
>>> ATI tech today said Catalyst installs new codecs. Gee, thanks for
>>> the warning! Then he said I should figure out which ones got
>>> replaced and find them and install them.
>>
>> Thanks for the warning indeed. Thank God for guinea pigs.
>>
>> I would have asked the tech for a list of codecs Catalyst 5.5
>> replaces, and then laughed disgustedly when he said they
>> don't have that information.
>>
>>> Anyone know where a list of original install codecs for MovieMaker 2
>>> in XP can be found?
>>>
>>> The tech also said I could use a system restore point (which i made
>>> before installing the drivers) to go back to the previous driver,
>>> but it didnt work. "No changes made to system".
>>>
>>> Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
>>
>> Switch to nVidia.
>
> Re-install Movie Maker 2? If you got yours via SP2, re-install that,
> maybe. You can also download a standard codec pack from
> Microsoft.com, which may help to replace all the standard codecs. I
> apologise that I am guessing a bit here. Good luck and thanks for the
> warning!

I meant to say you would probably need to uninstall 5.5 and re-install a
previous catalyst, as 5.5 will probably crash if you replace the affected
codecs.

Ian

Bratboy wrote:
> "Rick" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> "Rod Phipps" <oldmoose@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> Installed 5.5 catalyst last night and now WindowsMovieMaker is
>>> acting up. Some files that previously opened fine, crash the
>>> program now or load without previews.
>>>
>>> ATI tech today said Catalyst installs new codecs. Gee, thanks for
>>> the warning! Then he said I should figure out which ones got
>>> replaced and find
>>> them and install them.
>>
>> Thanks for the warning indeed. Thank God for guinea pigs.
>>
>> I would have asked the tech for a list of codecs Catalyst 5.5
>> replaces, and then laughed disgustedly when he said they
>> don't have that information.
>>
>>> Anyone know where a list of original install codecs for MovieMaker
>>> 2 in XP
>>> can be found?
>>>
>>> The tech also said I could use a system restore point (which i made
>>> before
>>> installing the drivers) to go back to the previous driver, but it
>>> didnt work. "No changes made to system".
>>>
>>> Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
>>

> For the record, as far as Im aware there is only one codec ATI driver
> installs. Its one for the WDM capture chips some cards use/have like
> Rage theater chip (ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec). Other than that,
> at least in all the beta drivers Ive tested thus far no other codec
> has ever been replaced. That said I am checking with someone else at
> ATI to make sure Im right on this and will post back if learn Im
> incorrect on this.

Ahhhhh - the OP didn't say he had the WDM part installed. Maybe you are
right!

--

A MS knowledge base artical had a link to the "Gspot codec appliance." It's real
handy for codec problems. Check it out. It's even freeware.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Dan

--end

> The tech also said I could use a system restore point (which i made before
> installing the drivers) to go back to the previous driver, but it didnt
> work. "No changes made to system".

Isn't that the way it _always_ is... when you need it most, it doesn't work.

> Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Can't help you with your driver problem but if you've got an extra
drive/partition, Norton's Ghost 2003 (not 2005) will yank your ass out of
fires like that in five to 10 minutes. Just do an image of your hard drive
_before_ you install any new drivers/programs and when problems like yours
happen, you just restore the image and you are back _exactly_ where you
started. Unfortunately, as you have found, System Restore is most assuredly
_not_ like that. Ghost is.

It's saved my ass more times than I can remember, especially when the
Catalyst driver that required the .net Framework completely and totally
screwed my ever so stable system.

"Ian" <ian@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Bratboy wrote:
>> "Rick" <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> "Rod Phipps" <oldmoose@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

>>> Thanks for the warning indeed. Thank God for guinea pigs.
>>>
>>> I would have asked the tech for a list of codecs Catalyst 5.5
>>> replaces, and then laughed disgustedly when he said they
>>> don't have that information.

>> For the record, as far as Im aware there is only one codec ATI driver
>> installs. Its one for the WDM capture chips some cards use/have like
>> Rage theater chip (ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec). Other than that,
>> at least in all the beta drivers Ive tested thus far no other codec
>> has ever been replaced. That said I am checking with someone else at
>> ATI to make sure Im right on this and will post back if learn Im
>> incorrect on this.
>
> Ahhhhh - the OP didn't say he had the WDM part installed. Maybe you are
> right!

Okay I picked some brains at ATI and this was the response I got over the
codec deal. Whether it will help you figure out whats wrong or not I dont
know but seems I was right that in general ATI drivers dont just replace
other codecs. Isnt much info but hopefully it can help you

----Reply I recieved----
....the WDMs and possibly MMC are the only likely sources of additional
codecs that I am aware of at the moment. And lets not forget the DVD decoder
download.

Of course if the problems are related to WMV files perhaps the Media Encoder
pre-requisite for MMC is involved. (Yes, I realize the problem is with movie
maker, but it is difficult to know all interdependancies is this day and
age.)

However, it is likley that something was removed prior to the driver install
and not replaced. Thus leading to a problem. Particularly if someone had
used MMC and subsequently used the ATI Software uninstall.
----End of reply---

"Joel Spencer" <admin@computing-elite.com> wrote in message
> aye, like with everything, tis a good idea to see what other people
> say first :)

every month a new adventure by installing ATi drivers! - it's like walking
in the jungle..u never know if your next step is your last one :)

---
Avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0520-2, 18/05/2005
Tested on: 19/05/2005 11:55:50 AM

Ian

Chuck U. Farley wrote:
>> The tech also said I could use a system restore point (which i made
>> before installing the drivers) to go back to the previous driver,
>> but it didnt work. "No changes made to system".
>
> Isn't that the way it _always_ is... when you need it most, it
> doesn't work.
>
>> Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Can't help you with your driver problem but if you've got an extra
> drive/partition, Norton's Ghost 2003 (not 2005) will yank your ass
> out of fires like that in five to 10 minutes. Just do an image of
> your hard drive _before_ you install any new drivers/programs and
> when problems like yours happen, you just restore the image and you
> are back _exactly_ where you started. Unfortunately, as you have
> found, System Restore is most assuredly _not_ like that. Ghost is.
>
> It's saved my ass more times than I can remember, especially when the
> Catalyst driver that required the .net Framework completely and
> totally screwed my ever so stable system.

For reference, it's not the Catalyst that requires .NET, it's the Catalyst
control panel. You may downlaod a conventional control panel for the
Cataylst driver and use that if you wish. I now believe the OPs problem is
directly related to the WDM capture driver, which is only required for the
AIW cards.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0520-3, 19/05/2005
Tested on: 19/05/2005 22:35:16

TRENDING THREADS