Is there a Windows xp networking software bug?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I use briefcase over a wireless network and often have to reboot the laptop
to get a valid list of files needing synchronization. Not doing this can
cause incorrect file deletion. At least briefcase warns you that it will do
this. 3rd party "Second Copy" works similarly, but without warning, causing
a serious situation I narrowly escaped. They state that there is a bug in
the Windows xp networking software (as described below). Is this true?

Nick

_______________

We are thankful that a near catastrophe was averted by your use of archive
folders.

This problem was apparently caused due to a bug in the Microsoft Windows
networking software.

When Second Copy (SC) runs a profile that is set to synchronize files, first
it tries to make a connection to the destination computer. If the connection
fails, it logs an error message and quits the profile. If the connection
succeeds then it lists the files in the source and destination folder to
compare and decide which files should be copied.

In your situation, Windows (erroneously) reported to SC that the connection
is successful but there are no files in the destination folder. This tells
SC that the files existed the previous time when they were synched but the
user has since deleted the files from destination. If the "Synchronize file
deletion also" is selected (as seems to be the case with your profile
setup). SC deletes the corresponding files.

The culprit is the Windows networking connection that erroneously reports
that there are no files in the destination folder instead of reporting that
the destination can not be reached. We don't know a solution to this bug in
Windows.

To avoid this in future you can uncheck the "Synchronize file deletion also"
option.

Centered Systems Support
Support@centered.com
Winner of People's Choice Award 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004
Best Overall Utility

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

This looks like (ugm) a defect in SC software. Knowing that behavior of
Windows, they probably didn't take the nesessary means to compensate it.
Just for example, before enumerating the remote folder, you could query
the creation date or other property of the folder itself.

--PA

"Dave M" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Interestingly, the original poster stated that the same flaw is found in the
> Briefcase utility shipped with Windows

Maybe - but though briefcase can be created and seems to work in XP,
it is not installed by default. It seems that briefcase tool and it's sync API is
obsolete
and supported only for users upgrading from win9x.

> I'm not sure that I understand how an OS call that reports no error but
> provides erroneous data is a third party providers inadequate programming?
>
> If I understand another response by PA, I guess that when I find I can not
> trust an OS call, I'm supposed to make another OS call to verify it?!?!

Yes exactly as in real life you don't believe in anything you hear - you check
twice :)

Well frankly speaking, I should test a solution myself before posting here, but
can't simulate
a slow network right now :(

--PA