hdtv wonder audio but no video-- plenty of signal

hi:
I just got the all in wonder hdtv and wow that is good video
no noise
any how a couple of my channels won;t come in but have 5 bars on the signal.
but here is the weird part , audio does come in.
is this posible, I thought it was digiatl all around and the audio went out
the same chaneel as video. ie all or nothing

this seems to be on channels that are 1080, but that could be cause they
never decoded right in the first place.

any Ideas or help is appreciated
14 answers Last reply
More about hdtv audio video plenty signal

    John Smith wrote:
    > hi:
    > I just got the all in wonder hdtv and wow that is good video
    > no noise
    > any how a couple of my channels won;t come in but have 5 bars on the
    > signal. but here is the weird part , audio does come in.
    > is this posible, I thought it was digiatl all around and the audio
    > went out the same chaneel as video. ie all or nothing
    >

    > this seems to be on channels that are 1080, but that could be cause
    > they never decoded right in the first place.
    >
    > any Ideas or help is appreciated

    Won't come in to what - your PC display or routing to a HDTV.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0520-4, 20/05/2005
    Tested on: 21/05/2005 01:16:35

    actually both
    the pc display and the tv out has no video
    some channels I get audio but no video

    "John Smith" <John.smith@concast.met> wrote in message
    > actually both
    > the pc display and the tv out has no video
    > some channels I get audio but no video
    > "Ian" <ian@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > John Smith wrote:
    > > > hi:
    > > > I just got the all in wonder hdtv and wow that is good video
    > > > no noise
    > > > any how a couple of my channels won;t come in but have 5 bars on the
    > > > signal. but here is the weird part , audio does come in.
    > > > is this posible, I thought it was digiatl all around and the audio
    > > > went out the same chaneel as video. ie all or nothing
    > > >

    > > > this seems to be on channels that are 1080, but that could be cause
    > > > they never decoded right in the first place.
    > > >
    > > > any Ideas or help is appreciated
    > >
    > > Won't come in to what - your PC display or routing to a HDTV.

    You may be getting too strong of a signal. Are you using the antenna that
    came with the HDTV Wonder? Try turning the antenna away from the transmitter
    &/or rotating CW/CCW. Or put an attenuator in the line(RS has them).
    Could be Multipath which can be much harder to deal with.

    "T Shadow" wrote:
    > "John Smith" <John.smith@concast.met> wrote in message
    > > actually both
    > > the pc display and the tv out has no video
    > > some channels I get audio but no video
    > > "Ian" <ian@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >  > > John Smith wrote:
    >   > > > hi:
    >   > > > I just got the all in wonder hdtv and wow
    > that is good video
    >   > > > no noise
    >   > > > any how a couple of my channels won;t come
    > in but have 5 bars on the
    >   > > > signal. but here is the weird part , audio
    > does come in.
    >   > > > is this posible, I thought it was digiatl
    > all around and the audio
    >   > > > went out the same chaneel as video. ie all
    > or nothing
    >   > > >
    >   > > >
    >   > > > this seems to be on channels that are 1080,
    > but that could be cause
    >   > > > they never decoded right in the first place.
    >   > > >
    >   > > > any Ideas or help is appreciated
    >  > >
    >  > > Won't come in to what - your PC display or routing
    > to a HDTV.
    >  > >
    >  > >
    > You may be getting too strong of a signal. Are you using the
    > antenna that
    > came with the HDTV Wonder? Try turning the antenna away from
    > the transmitter
    > &/or rotating CW/CCW. Or put an attenuator in the line(RS has
    > them).
    > Could be Multipath which can be much harder to deal with.

    I have the exact same problem on all 1080i channels within my area. I
    can see 720p and 480i/p channels fine but not 1080i. I have tried
    reseating the card, changing the power supply to the PC, changing PCI
    slots, have all the updated drivers for the video and hdtv card,
    windows xp pro updated with all available updates,etc.

    I even tried WatchHDTV from the following forum and it works on
    everything but 1080i. On 1080i it flashes a split-second screen and
    then just green background with sound. Signal strength of 1080i
    stations varies from 30 to 95% and all work the same...audio, no
    picture.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=511835

    stations in columbus, OH - stations 4-1, 10-1 and 38-1 specifically.
    asus a7v266e mainboard
    1GB crucial PC2100 ram
    athlon XP 1900+ never overclocked
    chaintech Geforce FX5200+ 128MB ddr agp with version 78.X driver
    HDTV wonder with 9.08 decoder
    windows xp pro sp2 and all patches
    seagate 200GB 8mbcache ata drive
    Dell 2005FPW display

    I have a case open with ATI, but whether that will help or not. Will
    an attenuator really help - why? It sounds like a decoder issue to
    me.

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-hdtv-audio-video-plenty-signal-ftopict56193.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=286029

    "jalex" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > everything but 1080i. On 1080i it flashes a split-second screen and
    > then just green background with sound. Signal strength of 1080i
    > stations varies from 30 to 95% and all work the same...audio, no
    > picture.
    > http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=511835
    >
    > stations in columbus, OH - stations 4-1, 10-1 and 38-1 specifically.
    > asus a7v266e mainboard
    > 1GB crucial PC2100 ram
    > athlon XP 1900+ never overclocked
    > chaintech Geforce FX5200+ 128MB ddr agp with version 78.X driver
    > HDTV wonder with 9.08 decoder
    > windows xp pro sp2 and all patches
    > seagate 200GB 8mbcache ata drive
    > Dell 2005FPW display
    >
    > I have a case open with ATI, but whether that will help or not. Will
    > an attenuator really help - why? It sounds like a decoder issue to

    OP said he had 5 bars. Other posts I've seen with this problem the xmitters
    were very close. If a signal is too strong it can oversaturate the receiver.
    Why it would be only 1080i I have no idea. What I suggested is cheap and
    easy. Actually rotating the antenna should be more affective. If it's
    multipath the purpose would be to get the primary signal and attenuate the
    reflected signal. Obviously you wouldn't use an attenuator with any thing
    but a very strong signal. I live 33miles from xmitters and do not have that
    problem. Never meant to imply it couldn't be something else. BTW I live NW
    of Dayton.

    > OP said he had 5 bars. Other posts I've seen with this problem the
    > xmitters
    > were very close. If a signal is too strong it can oversaturate the
    > receiver.
    > Why it would be only 1080i I have no idea. What I suggested is cheap and
    > easy. Actually rotating the antenna should be more affective. If it's
    > multipath the purpose would be to get the primary signal and attenuate the
    > reflected signal. Obviously you wouldn't use an attenuator with any thing
    > but a very strong signal. I live 33miles from xmitters and do not have
    > that
    > problem. Never meant to imply it couldn't be something else. BTW I live NW
    > of Dayton.

    The HDTV Wonder does need a BussMaster PCI slot to work correctly.
    That's why 1080i is not working, it needs the extra bandwidth and CPU time
    you get with BussMastering.

    "PhxGrunge" <noname@qwest.net> wrote in message

    > > OP said he had 5 bars. Other posts I've seen with this problem the
    > > xmitters
    > > were very close. If a signal is too strong it can oversaturate the
    > > receiver.
    > > Why it would be only 1080i I have no idea. What I suggested is cheap and
    > > easy. Actually rotating the antenna should be more affective. If it's
    > > multipath the purpose would be to get the primary signal and attenuate
    the
    > > reflected signal. Obviously you wouldn't use an attenuator with any
    thing
    > > but a very strong signal. I live 33miles from xmitters and do not have
    > > that
    > > problem. Never meant to imply it couldn't be something else. BTW I live
    NW
    > > of Dayton.
    > >

    > The HDTV Wonder does need a BussMaster PCI slot to work correctly.
    > That's why 1080i is not working, it needs the extra bandwidth and CPU time
    > you get with BussMastering.

    That's news to me. Could you point me to some documentation on that. None of
    my motherboard manuals mention it. You do want to set it so it's on an
    interrupt by itself.
    I also don't think it's a bandwidth problem. While it’s true that 1080i has
    a greater number of pixels (1920 x 1080 vs. 1280 x 720). First, 720p is a
    progressive signal. Second, 720p is 60 fps (frames per second). 1080i, on
    the other hand, is interlaced and 30 fps (60 fields per second).
    1,920X1,080X30=62,208,000
    1,280 X 720X60=55,296,000
    720p has a high enough bandwidth it seems unlikely it could do one and not
    the other.

    "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message

    > "PhxGrunge" <noname@qwest.net> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > OP said he had 5 bars. Other posts I've seen with this problem the
    >> > xmitters
    >> > were very close. If a signal is too strong it can oversaturate the
    >> > receiver.
    >> > Why it would be only 1080i I have no idea. What I suggested is cheap
    >> > and
    >> > easy. Actually rotating the antenna should be more affective. If it's
    >> > multipath the purpose would be to get the primary signal and attenuate
    > the
    >> > reflected signal. Obviously you wouldn't use an attenuator with any
    > thing
    >> > but a very strong signal. I live 33miles from xmitters and do not have
    >> > that
    >> > problem. Never meant to imply it couldn't be something else. BTW I live
    > NW
    >> > of Dayton.
    >> >

    >> The HDTV Wonder does need a BussMaster PCI slot to work correctly.
    >> That's why 1080i is not working, it needs the extra bandwidth and CPU
    >> time
    >> you get with BussMastering.
    >>

    > That's news to me. Could you point me to some documentation on that. None
    > of
    > my motherboard manuals mention it. You do want to set it so it's on an
    > interrupt by itself.
    > I also don't think it's a bandwidth problem. While it’s true that 1080i
    > has
    > a greater number of pixels (1920 x 1080 vs. 1280 x 720). First, 720p is a
    > progressive signal. Second, 720p is 60 fps (frames per second). 1080i, on
    > the other hand, is interlaced and 30 fps (60 fields per second).
    > 1,920X1,080X30=62,208,000
    > 1,280 X 720X60=55,296,000
    > 720p has a high enough bandwidth it seems unlikely it could do one and not
    > the other.

    Tested on two computers. Had to try every PCI slot to find the correct one
    since my motherboard documentation is a joke. Found the info on the web
    after days of searching, but found a obscure site that had one of my
    motherboard PCI layouts including which slots were the BussMaster slots.
    Moved HDTV Wonder to that slot, and performance went way up, with none to
    very few hiccups in recording and all resolutions working fine.

    > "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "PhxGrunge" <noname@qwest.net> wrote in message

    > > the
    > > thing
    > > NW
    > >> >

    > >> The HDTV Wonder does need a BussMaster PCI slot to work correctly.
    > >> That's why 1080i is not working, it needs the extra bandwidth and CPU
    > >> time
    > >> you get with BussMastering.
    > >>

    > > That's news to me. Could you point me to some documentation on that.
    None
    > > of
    > > my motherboard manuals mention it. You do want to set it so it's on an
    > > interrupt by itself.
    > > I also don't think it's a bandwidth problem. While it’s true that 1080i
    > > has
    > > a greater number of pixels (1920 x 1080 vs. 1280 x 720). First, 720p is
    > > progressive signal. Second, 720p is 60 fps (frames per second). 1080i,
    on
    > > the other hand, is interlaced and 30 fps (60 fields per second).
    > > 1,920X1,080X30=62,208,000
    > > 1,280 X 720X60=55,296,000
    > > 720p has a high enough bandwidth it seems unlikely it could do one and
    not
    > > the other.
    > >

    > Tested on two computers. Had to try every PCI slot to find the correct
    one
    > since my motherboard documentation is a joke. Found the info on the web
    > after days of searching, but found a obscure site that had one of my
    > motherboard PCI layouts including which slots were the BussMaster slots.
    > Moved HDTV Wonder to that slot, and performance went way up, with none to
    > very few hiccups in recording and all resolutions working fine.

    Changing PCI slots changes the interrupts(IRQ). I have an AIW, HDTV Wonder,
    and an Audigy2 on a MATX M/B(3 PCI slots) with on board LAN. I was lucky and
    got the HDTV Wonder on it's own IRQ just by leaving the slot beside the AGP
    slot empty. Sometimes they share an IRQ. Anyway this worked well for several
    months then I installed the Remote Wonder II that came with the AIW. It
    wouldn't work. After some checking around I found that the USB port I had
    plugged it into was on the same IRQ as the display adapter(IIRC) so I moved
    it to another USB port that uses a different IRQ and now it's all working
    well again.

    "T Shadow" wrote:
> [...]
    > with none to
    > > very few hiccups in recording and all resolutions working
    > fine.
    > >

    > Changing PCI slots changes the interrupts(IRQ). I have an AIW,
    > HDTV Wonder,
    > and an Audigy2 on a MATX M/B(3 PCI slots) with on board LAN. I
    > was lucky and
    > got the HDTV Wonder on it's own IRQ just by leaving the slot
    > beside the AGP
    > slot empty. Sometimes they share an IRQ. Anyway this worked
    > well for several
    > months then I installed the Remote Wonder II that came with
    > the AIW. It
    > wouldn't work. After some checking around I found that the USB
    > port I had
    > plugged it into was on the same IRQ as the display
    > adapter(IIRC) so I moved
    > it to another USB port that uses a different IRQ and now it's

    All 5 of the PCI slots on the ASUS A7V266E mainboard are supposed to
    be Bus Mastering PCI slots (V2.2 compliant). Only PCI slot 4 is IRQ
    independent. All of the other slots share an IRQ with USB, the AGP
    slot, or IDE controllers.

    I moved the HDTV Wonder card to pci slot 4, device manager in windows
    confirms is has IRQ 10 all by itself, and I see no difference in
    performance or behaviour in any of the slots on this computer. The
    highest CPU usage is 50% on an athlon 1900+.

    1080i channels are still audio only. Could it be an issue with AMD
    chips or a VIA chipset?

    I think it’s related to driver or encoder issues. Even the WatchHDTV
    program I downloaded shows 1080i channels to have no picture, not just
    with DTV.

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-hdtv-audio-video-plenty-signal-ftopict56193.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=287686

    > "T Shadow" wrote:
    > > "PhxGrunge" <noname@qwest.net> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > Changing PCI slots changes the interrupts(IRQ). I have an AIW,
    > > HDTV Wonder,
    > > and an Audigy2 on a MATX M/B(3 PCI slots) with on board LAN. I
    > > was lucky and
    > > got the HDTV Wonder on it's own IRQ just by leaving the slot
    > > beside the AGP
    > > slot empty. Sometimes they share an IRQ. Anyway this worked
    > > well for several
    > > months then I installed the Remote Wonder II that came with
    > > the AIW. It
    > > wouldn't work. After some checking around I found that the USB
    > > port I had
    > > plugged it into was on the same IRQ as the display
    > > adapter(IIRC) so I moved
    > > it to another USB port that uses a different IRQ and now it's
    > > all working
    > > well again.
    >
    > All 5 of the PCI slots on the ASUS A7V266E mainboard are supposed to
    > be Bus Mastering PCI slots (V2.2 compliant). Only PCI slot 4 is IRQ
    > independent. All of the other slots share an IRQ with USB, the AGP
    > slot, or IDE controllers.
    >
    > I moved the HDTV Wonder card to pci slot 4, device manager in windows
    > confirms is has IRQ 10 all by itself, and I see no difference in
    > performance or behaviour in any of the slots on this computer. The
    > highest CPU usage is 50% on an athlon 1900+.
    >
    > 1080i channels are still audio only. Could it be an issue with AMD
    > chips or a VIA chipset?
    >
    > I think it’s related to driver or encoder issues. Even the WatchHDTV
    > program I downloaded shows 1080i channels to have no picture, not just
    > with DTV.

    Thats the way I think PCI and Bus mastering works on modern boards. My P4
    2.4 runs about 35% so 50% sounds about right. 32 bit AMDs lack some of the
    instructions for encoding but AFAIK it only means they have to work a little
    harder. I don't know of any specific problems with the VIA chipset but they
    seem to have had more than thier share of problems in the past. I'll assume
    you have the latest VIA drivers.
    New HDTV drivers available today! Good luck.

    "jalex" wrote:
    > All 5 of the PCI slots on the ASUS A7V266E mainboard are
    > supposed to be Bus Mastering PCI slots (V2.2 compliant). Only
    > PCI slot 4 is IRQ independent. All of the other slots share
    > an IRQ with USB, the AGP slot, or IDE controllers.
    >
    > I moved the HDTV Wonder card to pci slot 4, device manager in
    > windows confirms is has IRQ 10 all by itself, and I see no
    > difference in performance or behaviour in any of the slots on
    > this computer. The highest CPU usage is 50% on an athlon
    > 1900+.
    >
    > 1080i channels are still audio only. Could it be an issue
    > with AMD chips or a VIA chipset?
    >
    > I think it's related to driver or encoder issues. Even the
    > WatchHDTV program I downloaded shows 1080i channels to have no
    > picture, not just with DTV.
    >
    > There will be no more ATI hardware when I upgrade in June, if
    > they don't figure this out soon.

    Hate to bring up a dead topic... but did anyone ever resolve the
    problem of no video, just audio with 1080i sources? I am having the
    exact same problem as jalex.

    Froot_Loop wrote:

    > "jalex" wrote:
    > > All 5 of the PCI slots on the ASUS A7V266E mainboard are
    > > supposed to be Bus Mastering PCI slots (V2.2 compliant). Only
    > > PCI slot 4 is IRQ independent. All of the other slots share
    > > an IRQ with USB, the AGP slot, or IDE controllers.
    > >
    > > I moved the HDTV Wonder card to pci slot 4, device manager in
    > > windows confirms is has IRQ 10 all by itself, and I see no
    > > difference in performance or behaviour in any of the slots on
    > > this computer. The highest CPU usage is 50% on an athlon
    > > 1900+.
    > >
    > > 1080i channels are still audio only. Could it be an issue
    > > with AMD chips or a VIA chipset?
    > >
    > > I think it's related to driver or encoder issues. Even the
    > > WatchHDTV program I downloaded shows 1080i channels to have no
    > > picture, not just with DTV.
    > >
    > > There will be no more ATI hardware when I upgrade in June, if
    > > they don't figure this out soon.
    >
    > Hate to bring up a dead topic... but did anyone ever resolve the
    > problem of no video, just audio with 1080i sources? I am having the
    > exact same problem as jalex.

    Are you sure the problem is at your end? I've noticed that sometimes on HD
    broadcasts the voice track is missing. This will go for a while and all of
    a sudden 15 or 20 minutes into the show the image will change from HD to
    transcoded SD and the voice is back--don't know if the feed gets switched
    at the station or the network but the problem was clearly at the broadcast
    end.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    "Froot_Loop" wrote:
    > Hate to bring up a dead topic... but did anyone ever resolve
    > the problem of no video, just audio with 1080i sources? I am
    > having the exact same problem as jalex.

    I finally was able to resolve the problem...

    I found that I could receive 1080i signals if I turned off video
    hardware acceleration (UIUseHVA) in the registry. However, this
    resulted in poor performance because of the load placed on the cpu.

    Clearly, this was a problem with the decoder. Although I had another
    decoder installed on the system, the tv application would only use the
    one installed as part of of the ATI installation process. So I had to
    find a way to get rid of the dvd decoder while keeping the dtv
    decoder.

    So, I simply deleted the clvsd.ax file for the dvd decoder, and now I
    have no problems. Granted, this doesn’t really "uninstall" the
    decoder, just cripple it so that my secondary decoder is used. But I
    don’t care... it works! The windvd decoder that it uses now doesn’t
    give me any of the problems that the cyberlink one did.

Radeon Video HDTV Audio World Of Warcraft Graphics