File sharing locks up my laptop

I have a desktop and a laptop which are connected in a WiFi network. The
configuration is as follows:

Desktop:
OS is XP Pro.
ASUS motherboard with an ASUS 802.11b Network Adaptor which allows my
desktop to act as a WiFi Access Point.
Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem giving broadband internet access.

Laptop:
OS is XP Pro.
3COM OfficeConnect Wireless 11g PC Card.

Norton Internet Security is installed on both devices. I have configured the
Personal Firewall to include the IP addresses of the desktop/laptop in the
list of trusted devices.

The laptop is in the same room as the desktop, and the connection is
described as "excellent".

I can ping each device from the other, and I can access the internet from
the laptop through the WiFi network.

I have nominated various folders as being sharable on both devices. When I
work on the laptop I can see these shared folders in "My Network Places". I
can browse down several levels of subfolder, but if I try to copy a file
from one device to the other the "copy" dialog starts up then within a few
seconds the laptop freezes completely On the WiFi card the "link" light
flashes but the "activity" light does nothing. The only way I can unfreeze
it is to disconnect the WiFi card, but then the copy is aborted.

Does anybody have any ideas? Is this a problem with the ASUS card, the 3COM
card, Windows XP or some configuration setting?

--
Tony Marston

http://www.tonymarston.net

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

Since your Modem is a USB and your wireless connection is Ad-Hoc the system
might be "Quirky".

You should consider buying a regular External Ethernet Modem and a Wireless
Router and configure a more stable Network.

However you system should be more functional than it even with the current
setting.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Tony Marston" <tony@NOSPAM.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have a desktop and a laptop which are connected in a WiFi network. The
> configuration is as follows:
>
> Desktop:
> OS is XP Pro.
> ASUS motherboard with an ASUS 802.11b Network Adaptor which allows my
> desktop to act as a WiFi Access Point.
> Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem giving broadband internet access.
>
> Laptop:
> OS is XP Pro.
> 3COM OfficeConnect Wireless 11g PC Card.
>
> Norton Internet Security is installed on both devices. I have configured
the
> Personal Firewall to include the IP addresses of the desktop/laptop in the
> list of trusted devices.
>
> The laptop is in the same room as the desktop, and the connection is
> described as "excellent".
>
> I can ping each device from the other, and I can access the internet from
> the laptop through the WiFi network.
>
> I have nominated various folders as being sharable on both devices. When I
> work on the laptop I can see these shared folders in "My Network Places".
> can browse down several levels of subfolder, but if I try to copy a file
> from one device to the other the "copy" dialog starts up then within a few
> seconds the laptop freezes completely On the WiFi card the "link" light
> flashes but the "activity" light does nothing. The only way I can unfreeze
> it is to disconnect the WiFi card, but then the copy is aborted.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas? Is this a problem with the ASUS card, the
3COM
> card, Windows XP or some configuration setting?
>
> --
> Tony Marston
>
> http://www.tonymarston.net

The connection on the laptop is set to "infrastructure" (as advised by my
documentation) not "ad hoc". Would this make a difference?

--
Tony Marston

http://www.tonymarston.net

"Jack" <www.ezlan.net/sendto/html> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Since your Modem is a USB and your wireless connection is Ad-Hoc the
system
> might be "Quirky".
>
> You should consider buying a regular External Ethernet Modem and a
Wireless
> Router and configure a more stable Network.
>
> However you system should be more functional than it even with the current
> setting.
>
> May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Tony Marston" <tony@NOSPAM.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I have a desktop and a laptop which are connected in a WiFi network. The
> > configuration is as follows:
> >
> > Desktop:
> > OS is XP Pro.
> > ASUS motherboard with an ASUS 802.11b Network Adaptor which allows my
> > desktop to act as a WiFi Access Point.
> > Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem giving broadband internet access.
> >
> > Laptop:
> > OS is XP Pro.
> > 3COM OfficeConnect Wireless 11g PC Card.
> >
> > Norton Internet Security is installed on both devices. I have configured
> the
> > Personal Firewall to include the IP addresses of the desktop/laptop in
the
> > list of trusted devices.
> >
> > The laptop is in the same room as the desktop, and the connection is
> > described as "excellent".
> >
> > I can ping each device from the other, and I can access the internet
from
> > the laptop through the WiFi network.
> >
> > I have nominated various folders as being sharable on both devices. When
> > work on the laptop I can see these shared folders in "My Network
Places".
> > can browse down several levels of subfolder, but if I try to copy a file
> > from one device to the other the "copy" dialog starts up then within a
few
> > seconds the laptop freezes completely On the WiFi card the "link" light
> > flashes but the "activity" light does nothing. The only way I can
unfreeze
> > it is to disconnect the WiFi card, but then the copy is aborted.
> >
> > Does anybody have any ideas? Is this a problem with the ASUS card, the
> 3COM
> > card, Windows XP or some configuration setting?
> >
> > --
> > Tony Marston
> >
> > http://www.tonymarston.net

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi.

Infrastructure is the Mode to be use when a Client Card (Laptop) connects to
a Wireless Router or an Access Point. Since your connection is an Asus
Client card to Laptop's Client card it should set to Ad-Hoc on both Wireless
Drivers, and you should use Windows ICS to NAT the connection.

Wireless Configuration Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

Windows ICS: http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-arch.asp

> The connection on the laptop is set to "infrastructure" (as advised by my
> documentation) not "ad hoc". Would this make a difference?
>
> --
> Tony Marston
>
> http://www.tonymarston.net
>

> "Jack" <www.ezlan.net/sendto/html> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Since your Modem is a USB and your wireless connection is Ad-Hoc the
> system
> > might be "Quirky".
> >
> > You should consider buying a regular External Ethernet Modem and a
> Wireless
> > Router and configure a more stable Network.
> >
> > However you system should be more functional than it even with the
current
> > setting.
> >
> > May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> >
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "Tony Marston" <tony@NOSPAM.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > I have a desktop and a laptop which are connected in a WiFi network.
The
> > > configuration is as follows:
> > >
> > > Desktop:
> > > OS is XP Pro.
> > > ASUS motherboard with an ASUS 802.11b Network Adaptor which allows my
> > > desktop to act as a WiFi Access Point.
> > > Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem giving broadband internet access.
> > >
> > > Laptop:
> > > OS is XP Pro.
> > > 3COM OfficeConnect Wireless 11g PC Card.
> > >
> > > Norton Internet Security is installed on both devices. I have
configured
> > the
> > > Personal Firewall to include the IP addresses of the desktop/laptop in
> the
> > > list of trusted devices.
> > >
> > > The laptop is in the same room as the desktop, and the connection is
> > > described as "excellent".
> > >
> > > I can ping each device from the other, and I can access the internet
> from
> > > the laptop through the WiFi network.
> > >
> > > I have nominated various folders as being sharable on both devices.
When
> > > work on the laptop I can see these shared folders in "My Network
> Places".
> > > can browse down several levels of subfolder, but if I try to copy a
file
> > > from one device to the other the "copy" dialog starts up then within a
> few
> > > seconds the laptop freezes completely On the WiFi card the "link"
light
> > > flashes but the "activity" light does nothing. The only way I can
> unfreeze
> > > it is to disconnect the WiFi card, but then the copy is aborted.
> > >
> > > Does anybody have any ideas? Is this a problem with the ASUS card, the
> > 3COM
> > > card, Windows XP or some configuration setting?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Tony Marston
> > >
> > > http://www.tonymarston.net

If you look at my original posting you will see that my ASUS WiFi card
(which fits into a special WiFi slot next to the PCI slots) allows my
desktop to operate as a wireless Access Point. That is why the WiFi
connection on my laptop is configured to run in Infrastructure mode, not Ad
Hoc.

I can get internet connection sharing to work, but file sharing locks up as
soon as I attempt to copy a file from my desktop to my laptop. Is the fault
with my hardware, my configuration, or within XP?

Tony Marston