File sharing locks up my laptop

I have a desktop and a laptop which are connected in a WiFi network. The
configuration is as follows:

Desktop:
OS is XP Pro.
ASUS motherboard with an ASUS 802.11b Network Adaptor which allows my
desktop to act as a WiFi Access Point.
Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem giving broadband internet access.

Laptop:
OS is XP Pro.
3COM OfficeConnect Wireless 11g PC Card.

Norton Internet Security is installed on both devices. I have configured the
Personal Firewall to include the IP addresses of the desktop/laptop in the
list of trusted devices.

The laptop is in the same room as the desktop, and the connection is
described as "excellent".

I can ping each device from the other, and I can access the internet from
the laptop through the WiFi network.

I have nominated various folders as being sharable on both devices. When I
work on the laptop I can see these shared folders in "My Network Places". I
can browse down several levels of subfolder, but if I try to copy a file
from one device to the other the "copy" dialog starts up then within a few
seconds the laptop freezes completely On the WiFi card the "link" light
flashes but the "activity" light does nothing. The only way I can unfreeze
it is to disconnect the WiFi card, but then the copy is aborted.

Does anybody have any ideas? Is this a problem with the ASUS card, the 3COM
card, Windows XP or some configuration setting?

--
Tony Marston

http://www.tonymarston.net
4 answers Last reply
More about file sharing locks laptop

    Hi

    Since your Modem is a USB and your wireless connection is Ad-Hoc the system
    might be "Quirky".

    You should consider buying a regular External Ethernet Modem and a Wireless
    Router and configure a more stable Network.

    However you system should be more functional than it even with the current
    setting.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Tony Marston" <tony@NOSPAM.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I have a desktop and a laptop which are connected in a WiFi network. The
    > configuration is as follows:
    >
    > Desktop:
    > OS is XP Pro.
    > ASUS motherboard with an ASUS 802.11b Network Adaptor which allows my
    > desktop to act as a WiFi Access Point.
    > Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem giving broadband internet access.
    >
    > Laptop:
    > OS is XP Pro.
    > 3COM OfficeConnect Wireless 11g PC Card.
    >
    > Norton Internet Security is installed on both devices. I have configured
    the
    > Personal Firewall to include the IP addresses of the desktop/laptop in the
    > list of trusted devices.
    >
    > The laptop is in the same room as the desktop, and the connection is
    > described as "excellent".
    >
    > I can ping each device from the other, and I can access the internet from
    > the laptop through the WiFi network.
    >
    > I have nominated various folders as being sharable on both devices. When I
    > work on the laptop I can see these shared folders in "My Network Places".
    > can browse down several levels of subfolder, but if I try to copy a file
    > from one device to the other the "copy" dialog starts up then within a few
    > seconds the laptop freezes completely On the WiFi card the "link" light
    > flashes but the "activity" light does nothing. The only way I can unfreeze
    > it is to disconnect the WiFi card, but then the copy is aborted.
    >
    > Does anybody have any ideas? Is this a problem with the ASUS card, the
    3COM
    > card, Windows XP or some configuration setting?
    >
    > --
    > Tony Marston
    >
    > http://www.tonymarston.net

    The connection on the laptop is set to "infrastructure" (as advised by my
    documentation) not "ad hoc". Would this make a difference?

    --
    Tony Marston

    http://www.tonymarston.net

    "Jack" <www.ezlan.net/sendto/html> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Since your Modem is a USB and your wireless connection is Ad-Hoc the
    system
    > might be "Quirky".
    >
    > You should consider buying a regular External Ethernet Modem and a
    Wireless
    > Router and configure a more stable Network.
    >
    > However you system should be more functional than it even with the current
    > setting.
    >
    > May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Tony Marston" <tony@NOSPAM.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > I have a desktop and a laptop which are connected in a WiFi network. The
    > > configuration is as follows:
    > >
    > > Desktop:
    > > OS is XP Pro.
    > > ASUS motherboard with an ASUS 802.11b Network Adaptor which allows my
    > > desktop to act as a WiFi Access Point.
    > > Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem giving broadband internet access.
    > >
    > > Laptop:
    > > OS is XP Pro.
    > > 3COM OfficeConnect Wireless 11g PC Card.
    > >
    > > Norton Internet Security is installed on both devices. I have configured
    > the
    > > Personal Firewall to include the IP addresses of the desktop/laptop in
    the
    > > list of trusted devices.
    > >
    > > The laptop is in the same room as the desktop, and the connection is
    > > described as "excellent".
    > >
    > > I can ping each device from the other, and I can access the internet
    from
    > > the laptop through the WiFi network.
    > >
    > > I have nominated various folders as being sharable on both devices. When
    > > work on the laptop I can see these shared folders in "My Network
    Places".
    > > can browse down several levels of subfolder, but if I try to copy a file
    > > from one device to the other the "copy" dialog starts up then within a
    few
    > > seconds the laptop freezes completely On the WiFi card the "link" light
    > > flashes but the "activity" light does nothing. The only way I can
    unfreeze
    > > it is to disconnect the WiFi card, but then the copy is aborted.
    > >
    > > Does anybody have any ideas? Is this a problem with the ASUS card, the
    > 3COM
    > > card, Windows XP or some configuration setting?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Tony Marston
    > >
    > > http://www.tonymarston.net

    Hi.

    Infrastructure is the Mode to be use when a Client Card (Laptop) connects to
    a Wireless Router or an Access Point. Since your connection is an Asus
    Client card to Laptop's Client card it should set to Ad-Hoc on both Wireless
    Drivers, and you should use Windows ICS to NAT the connection.

    Wireless Configuration Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

    Windows ICS: http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-arch.asp

    > The connection on the laptop is set to "infrastructure" (as advised by my
    > documentation) not "ad hoc". Would this make a difference?
    >
    > --
    > Tony Marston
    >
    > http://www.tonymarston.net
    >

    > "Jack" <www.ezlan.net/sendto/html> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Since your Modem is a USB and your wireless connection is Ad-Hoc the
    > system
    > > might be "Quirky".
    > >
    > > You should consider buying a regular External Ethernet Modem and a
    > Wireless
    > > Router and configure a more stable Network.
    > >
    > > However you system should be more functional than it even with the
    current
    > > setting.
    > >
    > > May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > >
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >

    > > "Tony Marston" <tony@NOSPAM.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > I have a desktop and a laptop which are connected in a WiFi network.
    The
    > > > configuration is as follows:
    > > >
    > > > Desktop:
    > > > OS is XP Pro.
    > > > ASUS motherboard with an ASUS 802.11b Network Adaptor which allows my
    > > > desktop to act as a WiFi Access Point.
    > > > Alcatel SpeedTouch USB modem giving broadband internet access.
    > > >
    > > > Laptop:
    > > > OS is XP Pro.
    > > > 3COM OfficeConnect Wireless 11g PC Card.
    > > >
    > > > Norton Internet Security is installed on both devices. I have
    configured
    > > the
    > > > Personal Firewall to include the IP addresses of the desktop/laptop in
    > the
    > > > list of trusted devices.
    > > >
    > > > The laptop is in the same room as the desktop, and the connection is
    > > > described as "excellent".
    > > >
    > > > I can ping each device from the other, and I can access the internet
    > from
    > > > the laptop through the WiFi network.
    > > >
    > > > I have nominated various folders as being sharable on both devices.
    When
    > > > work on the laptop I can see these shared folders in "My Network
    > Places".
    > > > can browse down several levels of subfolder, but if I try to copy a
    file
    > > > from one device to the other the "copy" dialog starts up then within a
    > few
    > > > seconds the laptop freezes completely On the WiFi card the "link"
    light
    > > > flashes but the "activity" light does nothing. The only way I can
    > unfreeze
    > > > it is to disconnect the WiFi card, but then the copy is aborted.
    > > >
    > > > Does anybody have any ideas? Is this a problem with the ASUS card, the
    > > 3COM
    > > > card, Windows XP or some configuration setting?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Tony Marston
    > > >
    > > > http://www.tonymarston.net

    If you look at my original posting you will see that my ASUS WiFi card
    (which fits into a special WiFi slot next to the PCI slots) allows my
    desktop to operate as a wireless Access Point. That is why the WiFi
    connection on my laptop is configured to run in Infrastructure mode, not Ad
    Hoc.

    I can get internet connection sharing to work, but file sharing locks up as
    soon as I attempt to copy a file from my desktop to my laptop. Is the fault
    with my hardware, my configuration, or within XP?

    Tony Marston

    > Hi.
    >
    > Infrastructure is the Mode to be use when a Client Card (Laptop) connects
    > a Wireless Router or an Access Point. Since your connection is an Asus
    > Client card to Laptop's Client card it should set to Ad-Hoc on both
    Wireless
    > Drivers, and you should use Windows ICS to NAT the connection.
    >
    > Wireless Configuration Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    >
    > Windows ICS: http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-arch.asp
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Tony Marston" <tony@NOSPAM.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > The connection on the laptop is set to "infrastructure" (as advised by
    my
    > > documentation) not "ad hoc". Would this make a difference?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Tony Marston
    > >
    > > http://www.tonymarston.net
    > >

    > > "Jack" <www.ezlan.net/sendto/html> wrote in message
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > Since your Modem is a USB and your wireless connection is Ad-Hoc the
    > > system
    > > > might be "Quirky".
    > > >
    > > > You should consider buying a regular External Ethernet Modem and a
    > > Wireless
    > > > Router and configure a more stable Network.
    > > >
    > > > However you system should be more functional than it even with the
    > current
    > > > setting.
    > > >
    > > > May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > > >
    > > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > > >

    > > > "Tony Marston" <tony@NOSPAM.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > The

    > configured
    > > > the
    > > the

    > > from

    > When
    > > Places".
    > file
    > > few
    > light
    > > unfreeze

    > > > 3COM

Laptops Desktops WiFi Wireless Networking