  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 21, 2005 3:47:20 PM

Hi,

I just recently bought an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB AGP (8x).

I currently owned an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 7500 64MB AGP (4x).

I followed ATI instructions to remove Old graphics card drivers and all
Multimedia files.

Turn-off my computer. Install new video card. My motherboard is Asus
P4C800-E Deluxe. On its AGP slot, it has a yellow sticker attached on it
saying, "Remove sticker if an AGP Pro is to be use."

Question: Do I really need to remove this sticker? Because I noticed, the
connector of my new AGP Card doesn't on any way or an obstruction for the
slot. Or is it a jumper for a Pro card?

Question: ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro has its own separate power
supply needed. According to ATI instruction manual, the requirement power
supply is 300W. I had an Enermax 350W power supply in my system. Do I need
to upgrade to a much more wattage power supply (eg. 475W)?

Question: ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro, according to its installation
instruction manual that I need to use the provided power supply adapter,
meaning I have to share power supply with my C:\ hard disk drive.

And yes, I did. But my computer hangs...afterwards. There was video or image
on screen (asus logo), POST boot normally but it would not boot up to my OS.
I'm thinking, maybe my power supply was not enough to boost my new AGP card.
So, I re-installed my old AGP card. Boot up normally to my OS. Even if I
make my new AGP card connected directly to my system power supply and not
sharing to my C:\ hard disk drive, still no luck.

Was it my power supply not enough to support my new AGP card or the overall
system power?

Thanks for any suggestions.
AL

More about : ati aiw radeon 9800 pro

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 21, 2005 3:47:21 PM

"AL" <jetp99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Was it my power supply not enough to support my new AGP card or the
> overall
> system power?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> AL
>
>Do you have a spare powersupply you can use. If so, modify it so it works
>when its pluged into the wall socket, then try it.

I have several powersupplys, used mostly for testing hds. Some gobble so
much power, they can bring your system down.

xman
May 21, 2005 5:55:55 PM

Well, I had a spare power supply but its only 250W, not pentium 4 ready.
Anyway, I will get an Enermax 535W power supply later. I need an upgrade
anyway, 'coz I got so many peripherals attached to my system. I hope it
works now with my new AGP card. If it doesn't, return it :-)

I switched back to my old AGP card, and its working fine.

Thanks.
AL
a b ) Power supply
May 21, 2005 11:27:27 PM

AL wrote:

> Well, I had a spare power supply but its only 250W, not pentium 4 ready.
> Anyway, I will get an Enermax 535W power supply later. I need an upgrade
> anyway, 'coz I got so many peripherals attached to my system. I hope it
> works now with my new AGP card. If it doesn't, return it :-)
>
> I switched back to my old AGP card, and its working fine.
>
> Thanks.
> AL

your enermax should have plenty of power. Use a power lead that shares
power with a cd/dvd drive instead of the hard disk drive.

Dont worry about the sticker.

Gordon
May 21, 2005 11:27:28 PM

Ok folks,

I got the Enermax 535W a while ago. I installed it already and left a power
supply available for my ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro. This time I'm not
going to share it to any devices. Hook it on directly to power supply. I
will install my video card at a later time. Wish me luck.!

Thanks,
AL
May 21, 2005 11:58:53 PM

Well, folks. I installed my new card again, still no luck. Arrrgh! Anyway,
I'm returning this unit tomorrow. I will stick to my old card.

AL
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 22, 2005 2:45:33 AM

Use the ASUS "Probe" software to monitor the power supply voltages
to determine if your power supply is adequate when the AIW 9800 Pro
is used. This card is not a AGP Pro - don't remove the yellow plug.
--

!