Hi,

I had two OS on my computer - Win 98 SE on drive C and XP Professional on D.
I decided to upgrade Win98 to XP Professional.

Upgrade was successful, but the computer didn't recognise two OS. The
original XP was not noticed.

So I went to System Restore settings, and changed boot.ini file as ...

[boot loader]
timeout =12
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP
Professional 1"

C:\="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2"

Now my computer has stopped working. How should I bail myself out of this?

Thanks!

Gordon

"penguin_skywalker" <penguinskywalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2D768CD7-D4C9-42CC-8B3E-C8B5B48410C5@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I had two OS on my computer - Win 98 SE on drive C and XP Professional on
> D.
> I decided to upgrade Win98 to XP Professional.

If you already HAD XP pro on your machine I must ask....WHY?

Ha ha ... I decided to upgrade my Win 98 SE to XP because I access the
Internet through this partition and I believe XP provides better protection
against viruses and also provides better control to users like myself.

I had just recovered from a bad infection, and had no intention of going
through the headache again!!! :)

message news:2C60F748-29A9-446C-999E-ED74DDA84F4F@microsoft.com...

> Ha ha ... I decided to upgrade my Win 98 SE to XP because I access the
> Internet through this partition and I believe XP provides better
> protection
> against viruses and also provides better control to users like myself.
>
> I had just recovered from a bad infection, and had no intention of going
> through the headache again!!! :)

The internet is NOT accessed through a "partition" - a "partition" is a
segment of a hard disk drive. And no, XP does NOT give you "better
protection" than W98.........