2 WinXP on one computer

Hi,

I had two OS on my computer - Win 98 SE on drive C and XP Professional on D.
I decided to upgrade Win98 to XP Professional.

Upgrade was successful, but the computer didn't recognise two OS. The
original XP was not noticed.

So I went to System Restore settings, and changed boot.ini file as ...

[boot loader]
timeout =12
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP
Professional 1"

C:\="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2"

Now my computer has stopped working. How should I bail myself out of this?

Thanks!

Hi,

Few things.

1. Can you boot up into safe mode using F8?
2. You will need to remove the following from boot.ini: "C:\="Microsoft
Windows XP Professional 2".
3. I do not understand the need of 2 Windows XP OS's on same computer. Can
you please explain. (licensing)?

Thanks & Regards,
Rami.

"penguin_skywalker" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had two OS on my computer - Win 98 SE on drive C and XP Professional on D.
> I decided to upgrade Win98 to XP Professional.
>
> Upgrade was successful, but the computer didn't recognise two OS. The
> original XP was not noticed.
>
> So I went to System Restore settings, and changed boot.ini file as ...
>

> [boot loader]
> timeout =12
> default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional 1"
>
> C:\="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2"

> Now my computer has stopped working. How should I bail myself out of this?
>
> Thanks!

I had a pretty bad viral infection on my computer following which I had to
make changes in the registry files and had a big headache. But this was
possible only becaue I had an OS on the other drive as well. I believe XP
provides better protection, and since I access the Internet through this
drive, I decided to upgrade it to XP.

Licensing? My software is genuine, no kidding! ;)

When I start the new XP in safe mode, the original Win 98 SE starts instead,
with all the original settings (wallpaper and all...). I'll search for the
file and make changes. Let's see what happen! :)

- Anupam.

"penguin_skywalker" <penguinskywalker@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Licensing? My software is genuine, no kidding! ;)

Licenses for Windows usually state that "You may install, use, access,
display and run one copy of the Product on a single computer".

By installing two copies of the same license, even though they are on
the same computer, you are not in full compliance with this provision.

It should also be noted that even though this provision is included in
most Windows licenses there are articles in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base that advocate making a second installation of Windows, using a
different folder, in order to solve certain problems.

Hope this explains the situation.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I had two OS on my computer - Win 98 SE on drive C and XP Professional on D.
>I decided to upgrade Win98 to XP Professional.
>
>Upgrade was successful, but the computer didn't recognise two OS. The
>original XP was not noticed.
>
>So I went to System Restore settings, and changed boot.ini file as ...
>

>[boot loader]
>timeout =12
>default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>
>[operating systems]
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP
>Professional 1"
>
>C:\="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2"

>Now my computer has stopped working. How should I bail myself out of this?
>
>Thanks!

Boot your computer with your Windows XP CD.
Choose the Repair option from the initial menu.
When it has finished booting enter the following command:

FIXBOOT

That should sort out the BOOT.INI file for you.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Few things.
>
> 1. Can you boot up into safe mode using F8?
> 2. You will need to remove the following from boot.ini:
> "C:="Microsoft
> Windows XP Professional 2".
> 3. I do not understand the need of 2 Windows XP OS's on same
> computer. Can
> you please explain. (licensing)?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Rami.
>
> "penguin_skywalker" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had two OS on my computer - Win 98 SE on drive C and XP
> Professional on D.
> > I decided to upgrade Win98 to XP Professional.
> >
> > Upgrade was successful, but the computer didn't recognise
> two OS. The
> > original XP was not noticed.
> >
> > So I went to System Restore settings, and changed boot.ini
> file as ...
> >

> > [boot loader]
> > timeout =12
> > default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)WINDOWS
> >
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)WINDOWS = "Microsoft
> Windows XP
> > Professional 1"
> >
> > C:="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2"

> ----------
> >
> > Now my computer has stopped working. How should I bail
> myself out of this?
> >
> > Thanks!

He probably carnt boot into safe mode, so what i surgest you do is
load the recovary console from a winxp instll disk, copy the boot ini
to a floppy disk, take it to a working computer, open the boot.ini
with your favorite text editor and make the changes Rami surgested,
this also gives you the opertunity to have it configured for both of
the instalations i think your boot.ini should look like this

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional1" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional 2" /fastdetect

i may be wrong, but it’s worth a try since it’s easy to fix.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-WinXP-computer-ftopict398317.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1315330

Hi!

I did not need to copy the boot.ini file. The Console repaired it itself
when I entered the bootcfg /rebuild command.

I was curious - what do those 0's and 1's in the parentheses represent?

And what does /fastdetect imply? There is no /fastdetect in my repaired
boot.ini file.

Thanks! :)

Hey Rami,

Thanks for your help! The problem has been solved, as you may see from my
other posts ...

And thanks for pointing out that I have done something that was not expected
as per the EULA. I don't like such stuff, and it won't happen again ...

Have fun! :)

Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:

>Boot your computer with your Windows XP CD.
>Choose the Repair option from the initial menu.
>When it has finished booting enter the following command:
>
>FIXBOOT
>
>That should sort out the BOOT.INI file for you.

Apologies. The correct command from the Recovery Console is

BOOTCFG /REBUILD

That will create a new boot.ini file. Detailed information at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184