8500DV MMC 9.06 Catalyst 5.5 on Window XP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 22, 2005 9:14:58 PM

Greetings! I have done a fresh install of the OS on a system with an Intel
845GEB MB, 2.4GHZ Celeron CPU, and 512MB PC2700 RAM. I went ahead and
upgraded the ATI software/drivers to the above mentioned for my 8500DV. When
I use the TV tuner, my CPU consumption is very high--ATIMMC.exe uses an
average of 66% CPU peaking at 97% with the TV tuner application running all
by itself as viewed by Task Manager. It also appears to be chewing up about
63MB of memory. I don't remember such high consumption with the older MMC
(7.xx or 8.xx). Is anyone else seeing this high consumption of RAM and CPU
usage? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2005 11:26:07 PM

"CW" <crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Greetings! I have done a fresh install of the OS on a system with an Intel
> 845GEB MB, 2.4GHZ Celeron CPU, and 512MB PC2700 RAM. I went ahead and
> upgraded the ATI software/drivers to the above mentioned for my 8500DV.
> When I use the TV tuner, my CPU consumption is very high--ATIMMC.exe uses
> an average of 66% CPU peaking at 97% with the TV tuner application running
> all by itself as viewed by Task Manager. It also appears to be chewing up
> about 63MB of memory. I don't remember such high consumption with the
> older MMC (7.xx or 8.xx). Is anyone else seeing this high consumption of
> RAM and CPU usage? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
I also have an 8500DV installed on a Win XP machine (with SP2). I did try
MMC 9.06.1 with it but found the sound wasn't correctly displayed as being
in stereo so I went back to MMC 9.02. If you have a read of the download
instructions for MMC you'll see that MMC 9.02 is the latest "supported"
version for use with pre AIW 9xxx series cards (i.e. including the 8500DV).
I never noticed any slow down or huge ram usage when I was using MMC 9.06.1
with my 8500DV but that's possibly because its on a dual CPU machine and
there's 1 GB of system ram. MMC 9.02 has its bugs but its not that bad that
it cant be used with this card. Newer versions of MMC and drivers are
designed for use (perhaps exclusively for MMC?) with higher end cards and
drivers which permit audio transfer via the PCI bus whereas earlier versions
including those out around the time of MMC 9.02 still used a cable to
transfer audio.

I'd give 9.02 a try (after carefully uninstalling the current version and
rebooting) and see if that makes a difference. Additionally, did you
correctly install the latest motherboard chipset drivers prior to MMC - if
not, that will be required. You could also have a look in dxdiag (run this
command from the run box) to make sure all of your AGP features are enabled.

Paul
May 23, 2005 10:26:47 AM

"Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message

> "CW" <crazy_whizzo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings! I have done a fresh install of the OS on a system with an
>> Intel 845GEB MB, 2.4GHZ Celeron CPU, and 512MB PC2700 RAM. I went ahead
>> and upgraded the ATI software/drivers to the above mentioned for my
>> 8500DV. When I use the TV tuner, my CPU consumption is very
>> high--ATIMMC.exe uses an average of 66% CPU peaking at 97% with the TV
>> tuner application running all by itself as viewed by Task Manager. It
>> also appears to be chewing up about 63MB of memory. I don't remember such
>> high consumption with the older MMC (7.xx or 8.xx). Is anyone else seeing
>> this high consumption of RAM and CPU usage? Does anyone have any
>> suggestions? Thanks!

> I also have an 8500DV installed on a Win XP machine (with SP2). I did try
> MMC 9.06.1 with it but found the sound wasn't correctly displayed as being
> in stereo so I went back to MMC 9.02. If you have a read of the download
> instructions for MMC you'll see that MMC 9.02 is the latest "supported"
> version for use with pre AIW 9xxx series cards (i.e. including the
> 8500DV). I never noticed any slow down or huge ram usage when I was using
> MMC 9.06.1 with my 8500DV but that's possibly because its on a dual CPU
> machine and there's 1 GB of system ram. MMC 9.02 has its bugs but its not
> that bad that it cant be used with this card. Newer versions of MMC and
> drivers are designed for use (perhaps exclusively for MMC?) with higher
> end cards and drivers which permit audio transfer via the PCI bus whereas
> earlier versions including those out around the time of MMC 9.02 still
> used a cable to transfer audio.
>
> I'd give 9.02 a try (after carefully uninstalling the current version and
> rebooting) and see if that makes a difference. Additionally, did you
> correctly install the latest motherboard chipset drivers prior to MMC - if
> not, that will be required. You could also have a look in dxdiag (run this
> command from the run box) to make sure all of your AGP features are
> enabled.
>
> Paul

Downshifted to MMC 9.02 and Catalyst 4.10 and everything seems to be working
well. CPU usage stays between 2% to 3% and memory usage is around 56MB.
Reverting to the older versions of ATI's software was a bit challenging.
What a kludge! Oh well, I'm back up and running smoothly--thanks for the
reply.

CW
!