Theatre 100 chip v Theatre 200 chip?

My current card has Theatre 100 chip. Will I benifit from moving to
Theatre 200 version card please? My card is mainly used for video
capture from an analogue camcorder.

I have an ATI AIW 128 Pro and am thinking of the AIW 9800.

In article <80m691lpvffrjfvbdrd9tg3eng2of1l6al@4ax.com>,
wizzard <a@nospam.com> wrote:

> My current card has Theatre 100 chip. Will I benifit from moving to
> Theatre 200 version card please? My card is mainly used for video
> capture from an analogue camcorder.
>
> I have an ATI AIW 128 Pro and am thinking of the AIW 9800.

I think the 200 has a better video dac (12 vs 10 bit? or 10 vs 8?)among
other things. I see much better shades of black on a 9600 XT AIW than I
saw on first genration AIW. For example, I watch Charlie Rose at night.
He wears a dark suit and his guests wear dark suits and the background
is black. In the first generation AIW, the background and suits almost
blended into each other. Now I see great distinction between all these
shades of black.

I would highly recommend it.

Roland

On Tue, 24 May 2005 13:33:08 -0500, Joe Doe <None@mail.utexas.edu>
wrote:

>I think the 200 has a better video dac (12 vs 10 bit? or 10 vs 8?)among
>other things. I see much better shades of black on a 9600 XT AIW than I
>saw on first genration AIW. For example, I watch Charlie Rose at night.
>He wears a dark suit and his guests wear dark suits and the background
>is black. In the first generation AIW, the background and suits almost
>blended into each other. Now I see great distinction between all these
>shades of black.
>
>I would highly recommend it.
>

>Roland

Apart from watching, would you recommend it for recording as well
please? I have seen a good offer for a Powercolor ATI one rather than
an original ATI.

Mike

Splendid

I've been told (not interested enough to verify) that the new non-ATI tv
cards lcack important features from ATI, check that out before buying.

Mike

In article <63t691dmvko9q4nspfk1q9pj68ucoofs6e@4ax.com>,
wizzard <a@nospam.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 May 2005 13:33:08 -0500, Joe Doe <None@mail.utexas.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >I think the 200 has a better video dac (12 vs 10 bit? or 10 vs 8?)among
> >other things. I see much better shades of black on a 9600 XT AIW than I
> >saw on first genration AIW. For example, I watch Charlie Rose at night.
> >He wears a dark suit and his guests wear dark suits and the background
> >is black. In the first generation AIW, the background and suits almost
> >blended into each other. Now I see great distinction between all these
> >shades of black.
> >
> >I would highly recommend it.
> >

> >Roland
>
> Apart from watching, would you recommend it for recording as well
> please? I have seen a good offer for a Powercolor ATI one rather than
> an original ATI.

I have a made by ATI AIW 9600 XT. So cannot really comment on anything
else. They are currently $120 in a version without remote control (DG
version) so are relatively inexpensive.

As far as recording goes, a lot depends on the bit rate you record at
(say DVD quality vs VCD quality) etc. So it is really hard to comment -
you might like DVD quality but not be able to deal with 20 GB files. At
high quality some detail is lost but it is quite good. I mostly record
in VCD quality because I am more interested in small file sizes than
great quality video.

Roland