File access denied after XP reloading

Hi All,
I've backed myself into a corner, now I need to pick your brains to get
out of it.
OS is XP Home sp2. Stopped booting,with error message about missing
files,e.g.\windows\system32\cp_437.nls.
Repair did not work, so I ended up reinstalling XP, but in another
folder, as I didn't want to lose settings etc.
So now I'm back working ok, but even logged in as admin., in
"windows2", when I try to enter My Docs., etc on "windows1" it says
"access denied". How do I get at "favourites, Docs etc on "windows1" I
have heaps of genealogy files etc that I cant access.
TIA,
Sjjones

--
sjjones
2 answers Last reply

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

    NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer using an account that has administrative
    privileges. If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, in order to have access to
    the Security tab, you must first start in Safe Mode and log on with an account that
    has Administrative rights.

    "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    "sjjones" <sjjones.1si8dw@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hi All,
    > I've backed myself into a corner, now I need to pick your brains to get
    > out of it.
    > OS is XP Home sp2. Stopped booting,with error message about missing
    > files,e.g.\windows\system32\cp_437.nls.
    > Repair did not work, so I ended up reinstalling XP, but in another
    > folder, as I didn't want to lose settings etc.
    > So now I'm back working ok, but even logged in as admin., in
    > "windows2", when I try to enter My Docs., etc on "windows1" it says
    > "access denied". How do I get at "favourites, Docs etc on "windows1" I
    > have heaps of genealogy files etc that I cant access.
    > TIA,
    > Sjjones
    >

    > --
    > sjjones

    Hi, I had the same error. Do you know where it originates?

    I access my files by going to the old drive (or partiion) in this case the
    C: drive and chosing >documents and settings>"my username_here" documents>my
    documents

    on my system though, my user is an administrator which could be why I did
    not get stonewalled.
    I had a spare hard drive and reinstalled xp there. That made finding it
    easier! Did you create a partition or just install a second OS?

    "sjjones" wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > I've backed myself into a corner, now I need to pick your brains to get
    > out of it.
    > OS is XP Home sp2. Stopped booting,with error message about missing
    > files,e.g.\windows\system32\cp_437.nls.
    > Repair did not work, so I ended up reinstalling XP, but in another
    > folder, as I didn't want to lose settings etc.
    > So now I'm back working ok, but even logged in as admin., in
    > "windows2", when I try to enter My Docs., etc on "windows1" it says
    > "access denied". How do I get at "favourites, Docs etc on "windows1" I
    > have heaps of genealogy files etc that I cant access.
    > TIA,
    > Sjjones
    >

    > --
    > sjjones

Security Microsoft Error Message Windows XP