We want Steam out of Retail Channel

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

We want Steam out of Retail Channel

obviously the move Germany made to make Valve change the HL2 retail box
is a great first step... but its not enough... and we ambition more!

its still short of what we want, which is at least make Valve take away
steam from the retail market
Valve is using the retail market to force steam into pc games, when we
all know the ultimate objective of steam is to kill it

there has to be a separation between broadband electronic distribution
technologies like steam and the retail market

we know Valve is "using" the retail channel for their own advantage by
forcing steam into every pc gamers so they can "educate" and make us get
used to steam, so not only this is a dirty tactic, but the objective of
this is to later steam itself kill the retail channel, the same one its
now using
when steam has done its mission it will cowardly stab in the back the
retail channel so it can then alone monopolize the market

Valve knows they can't make steam alone a viable way to sell pc games
unless they use the retail channel, but that's wrong cause its damaging
the retail channel and ultimately us gamers
if steam is so good, let it WIN with fair competition, let it be alone
and not use the own retail channel to promote itself
we want fair competition between traditional and electronic distribution
which means only with a steam FREE retail channel
competition yes but between steam and a steam FREE retail channel
and then we can find out who will win or better find out that both
can coexist, but never infecting the retail channel with electronic
distributions technologies like online activation which is wrong and
will only degrade it

we don't want the "mixing" between electronic distribution technologies
like steam and the retail market

we don't want electronic distribution technologies like steam to "infect"
the retail market

we want total SEPARATION between technologies like steam and the retail
market

steam technologies must only be available online via the internet

so after Germany made the right move, we now must ask for steam to
be taken of the retail market, for steam to not "infect" this market
that for over 10 years has been so successful in selling pc games
steam yes for the gamers that want it, but only via electronic
distribution and keep the choice of the majority of gamers that don't
want it and maintain the traditional way of physical medium version cd
or dvd sold in retail without any online activation

and long live the pc game retail market! (always steam free)

sayNO2steam wrote:

> we want total SEPARATION between technologies like steam and the
retail
> market
>
> steam technologies must only be available online via the internet
>
> so after Germany made the right move, we now must ask for steam to
> be taken of the retail market, for steam to not "infect" this market
> that for over 10 years has been so successful in selling pc games
> steam yes for the gamers that want it, but only via electronic
> distribution and keep the choice of the majority of gamers that don't
> want it and maintain the traditional way of physical medium version
cd
> or dvd sold in retail without any online activation
>
> and long live the pc game retail market! (always steam free)

Are you saying that you want two versions of the single-player game?

One, which you download through Steam, which uses Steam for
authentication and which uses Steam for patching and additional content
(eg. the SDK and new maps).
And a second version which you buy in a box, which uses a Cd-Key (or
other local check) for authentication, and for which you must get
updates and content by checking gaming and download websites
periodically.

What about those who play online multi-player games as well. Will it be
OK for Steam to be the gateway to these games, or will there need to be
a separate means of access for people who bought the retail box?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Werner Spahl wrote:
> So where is the problem here? There already was a cd-key and cd check
on
> HL2 and Valve surely can pack their patches into one archive and
upload it
> to 3dgamers or fileplanet or other sources like they were able for
years.

I'm not suggesting there is a problem, I just wanted to clarify what
dif- I mean sayNO2steam was proposing; it sounded like two different
versions of the product. Also, how he's thinking the middle-ground of
multi-player gaming would work.

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Are you saying that you want two versions of the single-player game?
>
> One, which you download through Steam, which uses Steam for
> authentication and which uses Steam for patching and additional content
> (eg. the SDK and new maps).
> And a second version which you buy in a box, which uses a Cd-Key (or
> other local check) for authentication, and for which you must get
> updates and content by checking gaming and download websites
> periodically.

Sounds great to me. Pretty much how every other games does it.

> What about those who play online multi-player games as well. Will it be
> OK for Steam to be the gateway to these games, or will there need to be
> a separate means of access for people who bought the retail box?

I want no part of Steam, period, single or multiplayer. Bring back the
Won.net servers.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Chadwick wrote:

> versions of the product. Also, how he's thinking the middle-ground of
> multi-player gaming would work.

This is not a problem either. The Counterstrike as HL-mod players can play
without problems with those that bought the Counterstrike retail version.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> sayNO2steam wrote:
>>
>> we want total SEPARATION between technologies like steam and the
> retail
>> market
>>
>> steam technologies must only be available online via the internet
>>
>> so after Germany made the right move, we now must ask for steam to
>> be taken of the retail market, for steam to not "infect" this market
>> that for over 10 years has been so successful in selling pc games
>> steam yes for the gamers that want it, but only via electronic
>> distribution and keep the choice of the majority of gamers that don't
>> want it and maintain the traditional way of physical medium version
> cd
>> or dvd sold in retail without any online activation
>>
>> and long live the pc game retail market! (always steam free)
>

> Are you saying that you want two versions of the single-player game?
>
> One, which you download through Steam, which uses Steam for
> authentication and which uses Steam for patching and additional content
> (eg. the SDK and new maps).
> And a second version which you buy in a box, which uses a Cd-Key (or
> other local check) for authentication, and for which you must get
> updates and content by checking gaming and download websites
> periodically.

Sounds fine to me (except that you've introduced another false choice here -
the ability to get standalone downloadable patches from the web in no way
precludes adding a "one-click update" option within the game for those who
are willing to tolerate such sloppy patch management procedures.)

> What about those who play online multi-player games as well. Will it be
> OK for Steam to be the gateway to these games, or will there need to be
> a separate means of access for people who bought the retail box?

If Valve insists on bundling two separate games (the muliplayer and
singleplayer, which have different target audiences) into one retail box
like in the old Doom days, they can bloody well make the Steam and online
portion an optional install during the setup. You know, this simple
innovation known as a checkbox that says "Install multiplayer game as well.
(XXXX extra disk space required.)" So yes, the Steam code is physically on
the CD and installable but for those of who don't care about multiplayer,
their online hassles don't become OUR online hassles.

Really, though, the best solution would be to separate the two products.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:22:55 +0000, sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>We want Steam out of Retail Channel
>
>obviously the move Germany made to make Valve change the HL2 retail box
>is a great first step... but its not enough... and we ambition more!
>
>its still short of what we want, which is at least make Valve take away
>steam from the retail market
>Valve is using the retail market to force steam into pc games, when we
>all know the ultimate objective of steam is to kill it

__________ __________
/ \ / \
/ \ / \ YOU CAN'T SEE FROM YOUR
| @@ | | /\ | VANTAGE POINT BUT
/\ @@ / \ /\ HELLO KITTY IS GIVING
/ \ _________/ \__________/ \ ME ONE RIGHTEOUS BLOWJOB
/ \
O O )
\ \_ _/ /
\_ --------------------- _/
----___________________---- __-->
/ / = = |\ /| = = =\ >
/ / = = |/ \| = = = \ __-- >
/= = = = = = = = \

--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Well WON.NET wont be back but you can use WON2. Thats what I'm using.
For more info goto here:
http://www.steamlessproject.nl/
http://www.steamlessproject.nl/won2/

It works great!

Kaledin

"Kaledin" <kaledin@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Well WON.NET wont be back but you can use WON2. Thats what I'm using.
> For more info goto here:
> http://www.steamlessproject.nl/
> http://www.steamlessproject.nl/won2/
>
> It works great!

Interesting, but does it work for mods other than Counterstrike? I miss some
of the HL mods like Sven Coop, Firearms, DoD, etc that I can no longer play
because Valve has forced everybody to use Steam.

WON2 seems like a HL2 thing, I'm not sure I want to play HL2 multiplayer at
this time.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> It's not the USE of lethal force, it's the threat of it. Even the
>collection of a parking ticket is backed up by the threat of force,
>even lethal force, if required. Society has invested government, and
>only in government, the right to enforce it's lawful actions.

Virtually /all/ law is backed by coercion, where one must either
comply, or be faced with increasingly severe sanctions, up to and
including /death/. Heinlein got it right: a vote is violence, by
proxy.

C//

> It seems to work with any HL mod. I have tested with the following:
>
> Firearms 2.9 Patch 1
> Day of Defeat Beta 1.3B
> Day of Defeat Beta 3.1 (My favorite)
>
> My DoD Beta 3.1 server is running right now.
>
> WON2 isnt just for HL2/multiplayer. I refused to buy or play HL2 because
of
> Steam.

Yea, I saw that after I posted. SO apparently there's a 1.1.1.1 that doesn't
use Steam. Excellent. I might host a HL-noSTEAM server or two just to
support this effort.