Drivers for Powercolor ATI AIW 9800 pro?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b \ Driver
May 26, 2005 7:20:00 AM

I am about to get this card. Does it use the normal drivers available
on the ATI.com site please (including MMC etc)?
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 26, 2005 5:40:04 PM

devdeep wrote:

> I am about to get this card. Does it use the normal drivers available
> on the ATI.com site please (including MMC etc)?

Yes. I have yet to see the first ATi-based videocard which doesn't work with
the ATi reference drivers. In fact, almost all videocard manufacturers
supply the ATi Catalyst drivers themselves - only with a different logo...
:)

=- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 26, 2005 9:54:46 PM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 13:40:04 +0200, "Brian Dickens"
<newsgroups@(remove-this)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote:

>devdeep wrote:
>
>> I am about to get this card. Does it use the normal drivers available
>> on the ATI.com site please (including MMC etc)?
>
>Yes. I have yet to see the first ATi-based videocard which doesn't work with
>the ATi reference drivers. In fact, almost all videocard manufacturers
>supply the ATi Catalyst drivers themselves - only with a different logo...
>:)
>

> =- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

OEM cards should work perfectly well with the ATI display drivers, but
will not always work with MMC - in particular, the some versions of
the TV/Video In app will not work with OEM AIW or VIVO cards. You'll
notice that while, as Brian says, most OEM manufacturers offer a
version of the Catalyst display drivers a version or two older than
the current ATI ones, they don't offer MMC versions.

OEM cards can sometimes be modified to run TV/Video in apps by hacking
the card BIOS so it identifies itself as a "Built by ATI" card - but
not always.

In addition, of course, if you want to install any of the licensed ATI
DVD player apps, you'll need an appropriate ATI CD.

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...
May 27, 2005 5:00:00 AM

patrickp wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2005 13:40:04 +0200, "Brian Dickens"
> <newsgroups@(remove-this)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote:
>

>>devdeep wrote:
>>

>>>I am about to get this card. Does it use the normal drivers available
>>>on the ATI.com site please (including MMC etc)?
>>
>>Yes. I have yet to see the first ATi-based videocard which doesn't work with
>>the ATi reference drivers. In fact, almost all videocard manufacturers
>>supply the ATi Catalyst drivers themselves - only with a different logo...
>>:)
>>

>>=- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands
>>

> OEM cards should work perfectly well with the ATI display drivers, but
> will not always work with MMC - in particular, the some versions of
> the TV/Video In app will not work with OEM AIW or VIVO cards. You'll
> notice that while, as Brian says, most OEM manufacturers offer a
> version of the Catalyst display drivers a version or two older than
> the current ATI ones, they don't offer MMC versions.
>
> OEM cards can sometimes be modified to run TV/Video in apps by hacking
> the card BIOS so it identifies itself as a "Built by ATI" card - but
> not always.
>
> In addition, of course, if you want to install any of the licensed ATI
> DVD player apps, you'll need an appropriate ATI CD.
>
> Patrick
>
> <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

In the case of Powercolor, their driver download page contains hyper
links to ATI's site! So they don't even bother with OEM. Fair enough.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0521-3, 26/05/2005
Tested on: 27/05/2005 01:00:00