How to identify OEM ATI 9800 Pro please?

I recently purchased an OEM ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128mb card. I was told it
is made by Powercolor.

It came with all cables, Remote, CD etc. and all had ATI stamped all
over it. Everything works fine.

How can I identify that this is a Powercolor OEM card please? For all
I know it may be an ATI made OEM or a Saphire OEM?

Ian

sdr84 wrote:
> I recently purchased an OEM ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128mb card. I was told it
> is made by Powercolor.
>
> It came with all cables, Remote, CD etc. and all had ATI stamped all
> over it. Everything works fine.
>
> How can I identify that this is a Powercolor OEM card please? For all
> I know it may be an ATI made OEM or a Saphire OEM?

That's a good question, since the cards carry a standard ATI part number
on them, right! I've got a Powercolor 9600PRO (I know, I bought it new
and boxed) and the vendor ID, reported by the driver, points to Sapphire.

ah heck!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0521-3, 26/05/2005
Tested on: 26/05/2005 23:28:18

On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:28:15 +0100, Ian <ian@nospam.net> wrote:

>That's a good question, since the cards carry a standard ATI part number
>on them, right! I've got a Powercolor 9600PRO (I know, I bought it new
>and boxed) and the vendor ID, reported by the driver, points to Sapphire.
>
>ah heck!

Where do I look for the vendor ID please?

Ian

Ian wrote:
> sdr84 wrote:
>
>> I recently purchased an OEM ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128mb card. I was told it
>> is made by Powercolor.
>>
>> It came with all cables, Remote, CD etc. and all had ATI stamped all
>> over it. Everything works fine.
>>
>> How can I identify that this is a Powercolor OEM card please? For all
>> I know it may be an ATI made OEM or a Saphire OEM?
>

> That's a good question, since the cards carry a standard ATI part number
> on them, right! I've got a Powercolor 9600PRO (I know, I bought it new
> and boxed) and the vendor ID, reported by the driver, points to Sapphire.
>
> ah heck!

Probably can only be done by serial number. I think these cards are made
to identical designs.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0521-3, 26/05/2005
Tested on: 26/05/2005 23:29:30

Ian

sdr84 wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:28:15 +0100, Ian <ian@nospam.net> wrote:
>

>>That's a good question, since the cards carry a standard ATI part number
>>on them, right! I've got a Powercolor 9600PRO (I know, I bought it new
>>and boxed) and the vendor ID, reported by the driver, points to Sapphire.
>>
>>ah heck!
>>

> Where do I look for the vendor ID please?

If you are running the Catalyst Control Centre, click help and you can
get the information there. I'm trying to remember how the ordinary
control panel works, I think there is an information tab. The vendor ID
will almost certainly be ATI's number.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0521-3, 26/05/2005
Tested on: 26/05/2005 23:42:54

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"sdr84" <a@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I recently purchased an OEM ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128mb card. I was told it
> is made by Powercolor.
>
> It came with all cables, Remote, CD etc. and all had ATI stamped all
> over it. Everything works fine.
>
> How can I identify that this is a Powercolor OEM card please? For all
> I know it may be an ATI made OEM or a Saphire OEM?

Just doing a Google image search for "Powercolor 9800 Pro" gives a whack of
Powercolor built-by ATI 9800 Pro cards that look identical to my retail ATI
9800 Pro card. Googling some part numbers may give you more info. But
they're all basically the same card. Yours may actually have the R360 core
and take the the 9800XT flash. Mine's the R350 and I run it at XT clocks,
but it's not flashable with the XT BIOS. Don't do this without backing up
the original BIOS first and having a PCI video card on hand.

On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:42:54 +0100, Ian <ian@nospam.net> wrote:

>If you are running the Catalyst Control Centre, click help and you can
>get the information there. I'm trying to remember how the ordinary
>control panel works, I think there is an information tab. The vendor ID
>will almost certainly be ATI's number.

Interesting... It says

Device ID 4E48

Vendor 1002

Does this mean anything please?

On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:41:04 GMT, sdr84 <a@nospam.com> wrote:

>I recently purchased an OEM ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128mb card. I was told it
>is made by Powercolor.
>
>It came with all cables, Remote, CD etc. and all had ATI stamped all
>over it. Everything works fine.
>
>How can I identify that this is a Powercolor OEM card please? For all
>I know it may be an ATI made OEM or a Saphire OEM?

there are codes in the board's bios, readable by windows - accessible
via the display settings panel. you need the ati options page, then
details button.
vendor code 1002 is built by ati.

dr ratt

gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
gary: you know i can't promise that.
lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
gary: i promise. i will never die.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:41:04 GMT, sdr84 <a@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>I recently purchased an OEM ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128mb card. I was told it
>>is made by Powercolor.
>>
>>It came with all cables, Remote, CD etc. and all had ATI stamped all
>>over it. Everything works fine.
>>
>>How can I identify that this is a Powercolor OEM card please? For all
>>I know it may be an ATI made OEM or a Saphire OEM?
>
> there are codes in the board's bios, readable by windows - accessible
> via the display settings panel. you need the ati options page, then
> details button.
> vendor code 1002 is built by ati.
>
> dr ratt

My 9700 is definitely made by Hercules - it has a blue PCB and copper
heatsinks
on RAM and back of GPU plus the stickers but under the Control Panel the
Vendor
ID is 1002. ATIs drivers arent designed to differentiate between differant
manufacturers.
Maybe the drivers from Powercolor might do that and he should download them
?
Or if theres a serial code sticker on the back of the card email that to
Powercolor tech support
for confirmation.

On Fri, 27 May 2005 12:11:29 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>"dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:41:04 GMT, sdr84 <a@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I recently purchased an OEM ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128mb card. I was told it
>>>is made by Powercolor.
>>>
>>>It came with all cables, Remote, CD etc. and all had ATI stamped all
>>>over it. Everything works fine.
>>>
>>>How can I identify that this is a Powercolor OEM card please? For all
>>>I know it may be an ATI made OEM or a Saphire OEM?
>>
>> there are codes in the board's bios, readable by windows - accessible
>> via the display settings panel. you need the ati options page, then
>> details button.
>> vendor code 1002 is built by ati.
>>
>> dr ratt
>
>My 9700 is definitely made by Hercules - it has a blue PCB and copper
>heatsinks
>on RAM and back of GPU plus the stickers but under the Control Panel the
>Vendor
>ID is 1002. ATIs drivers arent designed to differentiate between differant
>manufacturers.
>Maybe the drivers from Powercolor might do that and he should download them
>?
>Or if theres a serial code sticker on the back of the card email that to
>Powercolor tech support
>for confirmation.

ah sorry, that is correct. vendor id is the chipset manufacturer & sub
vendor is the card manufacturer.
sub vendor should also be 1002 for ati & something else for other
manufacturers.
look under product info here:
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894
for various methods of identification.

On Fri, 27 May 2005 14:05:50 +0100, dr ratt <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk>
wrote:

>ah sorry, that is correct. vendor id is the chipset manufacturer & sub
>vendor is the card manufacturer.
>sub vendor should also be 1002 for ati & something else for other
>manufacturers.
>look under product info here:
>https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894
>for various methods of identification.

Ok Checked my setup and both vendor and sub vendor show 1002. I am
assuming this means made by ATI and not Powercolor as my supplier had
suggested. I am curios as this is an OEM card there is no info.
attched to it.

"sdr84" <a@nospam.com> wrote in message

Forgot the details but if it was purchased in the US it should have a number
that identifies it to the FCC. You may be able to look it up there or by
Googling the numbers on the board.

On Fri, 27 May 2005 16:05:56 GMT, sdr84 <a@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 May 2005 14:05:50 +0100, dr ratt <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>ah sorry, that is correct. vendor id is the chipset manufacturer & sub
>>vendor is the card manufacturer.
>>sub vendor should also be 1002 for ati & something else for other
>>manufacturers.
>>look under product info here:
>>https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894
>>for various methods of identification.
>>
>Ok Checked my setup and both vendor and sub vendor show 1002. I am
>assuming this means made by ATI and not Powercolor as my supplier had
>suggested. I am curios as this is an OEM card there is no info.
>attched to it.

iirc, the device id indicates model type, ie 9800pro oem. i don't know
which exact code=which model, though.
you mentioned 4e48, i have seen this code quoted by people with
sapphire retail cards also, though i cannot vouch for their accuracy.

On Fri, 27 May 2005 17:29:55 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
wrote:

>Forgot the details but if it was purchased in the US it should have a number
>that identifies it to the FCC. You may be able to look it up there or by
>Googling the numbers on the board.

No. Purchased in UK

On Fri, 27 May 2005 18:25:04 GMT, sdr84 <a@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 May 2005 17:29:55 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>Forgot the details but if it was purchased in the US it should have a number
>>that identifies it to the FCC. You may be able to look it up there or by
>>Googling the numbers on the board.
>>

>No. Purchased in UK

Sorry for jumping in mid thread but the ATI utilities give the vendor
ID number. I'm not sure how you look up the name from that. My
Powercolor has a vendor ID of 1002.
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives

On Fri, 27 May 2005 18:06:36 +0100, dr ratt <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk>
wrote:

>iirc, the device id indicates model type, ie 9800pro oem. i don't know
>which exact code=which model, though.
>you mentioned 4e48, i have seen this code quoted by people with
>sapphire retail cards also, though i cannot vouch for their accuracy.

sapphire 9800pro retail, that is

sdr84 wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:42:54 +0100, Ian <ian@nospam.net> wrote:
>

>>If you are running the Catalyst Control Centre, click help and you can
>>get the information there. I'm trying to remember how the ordinary
>>control panel works, I think there is an information tab. The vendor ID
>>will almost certainly be ATI's number.
>>

> Interesting... It says
>
> Device ID 4E48
>
> Vendor 1002
>
> Does this mean anything please?

Google them. That's what I did yesterday, and as I think I said then,
Vendor 1002 is ATI. Device 4E48 coresponds to a 9800 AIW, but none of
ths confirms or denies that the card is a Powercolor. I advise you to
email Powercolor, quoting the serial number of your card.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0521-4, 27/05/2005
Tested on: 28/05/2005 02:35:12

Ian

Sleepy wrote:
> "dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:41:04 GMT, sdr84 <a@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I recently purchased an OEM ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128mb card. I was told it
>>>is made by Powercolor.
>>>
>>>It came with all cables, Remote, CD etc. and all had ATI stamped all
>>>over it. Everything works fine.
>>>
>>>How can I identify that this is a Powercolor OEM card please? For all
>>>I know it may be an ATI made OEM or a Saphire OEM?
>>
>>there are codes in the board's bios, readable by windows - accessible
>>via the display settings panel. you need the ati options page, then
>>details button.
>>vendor code 1002 is built by ati.
>>
>>dr ratt
>

> My 9700 is definitely made by Hercules - it has a blue PCB and copper
> heatsinks
> on RAM and back of GPU plus the stickers but under the Control Panel the
> Vendor
> ID is 1002. ATIs drivers arent designed to differentiate between differant
> manufacturers.
> Maybe the drivers from Powercolor might do that and he should download them
> ?
> Or if theres a serial code sticker on the back of the card email that to
> Powercolor tech support
> for confirmation.

Powercolor don't do drivers, they refer you to ATI website.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0521-4, 27/05/2005
Tested on: 28/05/2005 02:36:16

There may be no difference. For all we know, Sapphire's giant parent company
(PCPartner) may be the one producing the cards and selling them to both ATi
and Powercolor...

On Sat, 28 May 2005 13:12:16 -0400, "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>There may be no difference. For all we know, Sapphire's giant parent company
>(PCPartner) may be the one producing the cards and selling them to both ATi
>and Powercolor...

As I said before, use the ATI utility to get a vendor ID number. 1004
is Powercolor.