ODBC needs local admin rights??

What could be the reason why a System DNS : OBDC would require local
adminrights??

If a put the user domain user only, the connection to the SQL server does
not work. I test the ODBC and it does not work.

I put the user in local admin group and everything works fine...

Any one could give me a hints.

REgards

JP
2 answers Last reply
More about odbc local admin rights

    Did you check to see if the "Everyone" or your "Domain User Only" group has
    read access to the files/folders where the ODBC files are stored. Example:
    We have Oracle 9i and for Domain and/or Power users to connect with an ODBC
    connection for Oracle, the files and folders from <Installed Drive>/oracle
    down have to have read/execute permissions propagated down.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    "JP Breton" <jpbreton@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    > What could be the reason why a System DNS : OBDC would require local
    > adminrights??
    >
    > If a put the user domain user only, the connection to the SQL server does
    > not work. I test the ODBC and it does not work.
    >
    > I put the user in local admin group and everything works fine...
    >
    > Any one could give me a hints.
    >
    > REgards
    >
    > JP

    interesting.

    I have never thought of that.

    I will give it a try.

    Thanks

    JP

    "Star Fleet Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(SPAM-NOT)hotmail.com>
    wrote in message news:utburFujFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Did you check to see if the "Everyone" or your "Domain User Only" group
    > has read access to the files/folders where the ODBC files are stored.
    > Example: We have Oracle 9i and for Domain and/or Power users to connect
    > with an ODBC connection for Oracle, the files and folders from <Installed
    > Drive>/oracle down have to have read/execute permissions propagated down.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
    >
    > http://www.google.com
    > Google is your "Friend"
    >
    > "JP Breton" <jpbreton@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    >> What could be the reason why a System DNS : OBDC would require local
    >> adminrights??
    >>
    >> If a put the user domain user only, the connection to the SQL server does
    >> not work. I test the ODBC and it does not work.
    >>
    >> I put the user in local admin group and everything works fine...
    >>
    >> Any one could give me a hints.
    >>
    >> REgards
    >>
    >> JP

Windows XP