Please Help with Windows XP Activation

I just bought (about a month ago) a new computer from Ibuypower (a
legitimate OEM). There was a broken fan on the motherboard and they sent a
technician out to replace the motherboard (the part was sent to me new in box
with the certificate of authenticity, which I also have for my windows xp
recovery disk).

The technician left too soon I now realize, because when I try to start up,
windows asks me to activate. It won't connect via the internet even thought
my computer is hooked up to my cable modem, and the telephone method keeps
telling me that it is an unrecognized product (after seven attempts at
carefully speaking that incredibly long number into the phone).

I have alot of work on that computer and don't want to reformat my drive and
reinstall windows. Is there anything I can do? I'd be willing to pay the
$35 for a tech support help to Microsoft if it would get me up and running.
I am not a pirate. It's doubly frustrating because when windows starts to
load, I can see my desktop and hear my startup music, all just sitting there,
but I'm unable to get past the activation.

Please, please help. I have family photos, etc. and don't want to reinstall
windows, which I am being told by ibuypower may not solve the problem since
I'll still have to re-activate windows.

Thanks for any help.

You need to contact "Ibuypower" and ask them for assistance.
Was the motherboard replacement of the same make and model
as the original? I can't image a "competent technician" would not
boot your system after installing a new component, especially the
motherboard!

Try the following:

Boot into "Safe Mode" by pressing (F8) during a reboot.

Go to Start > Run and type: regsvr32 regwizc.dll , and hit enter.
Then go again to Start > Run and type: regsvr32 licdll.dll , and hit enter again.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"eskravitz" wrote:

| I just bought (about a month ago) a new computer from Ibuypower (a
| legitimate OEM). There was a broken fan on the motherboard and they sent a
| technician out to replace the motherboard (the part was sent to me new in box
| with the certificate of authenticity, which I also have for my windows xp
| recovery disk).
|
| The technician left too soon I now realize, because when I try to start up,
| windows asks me to activate. It won't connect via the internet even thought
| my computer is hooked up to my cable modem, and the telephone method keeps
| telling me that it is an unrecognized product (after seven attempts at
| carefully speaking that incredibly long number into the phone).
|
| I have alot of work on that computer and don't want to reformat my drive and
| reinstall windows. Is there anything I can do? I'd be willing to pay the
| $35 for a tech support help to Microsoft if it would get me up and running.
| I am not a pirate. It's doubly frustrating because when windows starts to
| load, I can see my desktop and hear my startup music, all just sitting there,
| but I'm unable to get past the activation.
|
| Please, please help. I have family photos, etc. and don't want to reinstall
| windows, which I am being told by ibuypower may not solve the problem since
| I'll still have to re-activate windows.
|
| Thanks for any help.

Carey,

Thanks for the quick response. I do not believe the technician was
competent. I asked him to make sure that everything worked and he told me
not to worry and left.

That aside, the motherboard appears to be the same asus.

I am going to contact Ibuypower when they open (I'm on the east coast,
they're in CA), but have a couple of questions.

First, what is it they can do? Is there some kind of activation code that
they can give me to enter since they are the OEM?

Also, regarding what you suggested below, at what point do I hit the F8 key?

Finally, is there anything that Microsoft can do to help with my problem?
I'm not averse to dealing with the OEM, but I really just need this to be up
and working tonight and don't care about the $35 support fee at this point.
Again, I really don't want to have to reinstall windows and lose everything.

Thanks again,
Elliot

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You need to contact "Ibuypower" and ask them for assistance.
> Was the motherboard replacement of the same make and model
> as the original? I can't image a "competent technician" would not
> boot your system after installing a new component, especially the
> motherboard!
>
> Try the following:
>
> Boot into "Safe Mode" by pressing (F8) during a reboot.
>
> Go to Start > Run and type: regsvr32 regwizc.dll , and hit enter.
> Then go again to Start > Run and type: regsvr32 licdll.dll , and hit enter again.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "eskravitz" wrote:
>
> | I just bought (about a month ago) a new computer from Ibuypower (a
> | legitimate OEM). There was a broken fan on the motherboard and they sent a
> | technician out to replace the motherboard (the part was sent to me new in box
> | with the certificate of authenticity, which I also have for my windows xp
> | recovery disk).
> |
> | The technician left too soon I now realize, because when I try to start up,
> | windows asks me to activate. It won't connect via the internet even thought
> | my computer is hooked up to my cable modem, and the telephone method keeps
> | telling me that it is an unrecognized product (after seven attempts at
> | carefully speaking that incredibly long number into the phone).
> |
> | I have alot of work on that computer and don't want to reformat my drive and
> | reinstall windows. Is there anything I can do? I'd be willing to pay the
> | $35 for a tech support help to Microsoft if it would get me up and running.
> | I am not a pirate. It's doubly frustrating because when windows starts to
> | load, I can see my desktop and hear my startup music, all just sitting there,
> | but I'm unable to get past the activation.
> |
> | Please, please help. I have family photos, etc. and don't want to reinstall
> | windows, which I am being told by ibuypower may not solve the problem since
> | I'll still have to re-activate windows.
> |
> | Thanks for any help.

When you first turn on your computer, keep tapping
the F8 key until you get a menu allowing you to boot
into Safe Mode.

Here are some numbers for Microsoft Product Activation assistance:

Toll-free number: 888-571-2048

Toll number: 716-871-2929

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"eskravitz" wrote:

| Carey,
|
| Thanks for the quick response. I do not believe the technician was
| competent. I asked him to make sure that everything worked and he told me
| not to worry and left.
|
| That aside, the motherboard appears to be the same asus.
|
| I am going to contact Ibuypower when they open (I'm on the east coast,
| they're in CA), but have a couple of questions.
|
| First, what is it they can do? Is there some kind of activation code that
| they can give me to enter since they are the OEM?
|
| Also, regarding what you suggested below, at what point do I hit the F8 key?
|
| Finally, is there anything that Microsoft can do to help with my problem?
| I'm not averse to dealing with the OEM, but I really just need this to be up
| and working tonight and don't care about the $35 support fee at this point.
| Again, I really don't want to have to reinstall windows and lose everything.
|
| Thanks again,
| Elliot
|
| "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
|
| > You need to contact "Ibuypower" and ask them for assistance.
| > Was the motherboard replacement of the same make and model
| > as the original? I can't image a "competent technician" would not
| > boot your system after installing a new component, especially the
| > motherboard!
| >
| > Try the following:
| >
| > Boot into "Safe Mode" by pressing (F8) during a reboot.
| >
| > Go to Start > Run and type: regsvr32 regwizc.dll , and hit enter.
| > Then go again to Start > Run and type: regsvr32 licdll.dll , and hit enter again.
| >
| > --
| > Carey Frisch
| > Microsoft MVP
| > Windows XP - Shell/User
| > Microsoft Newsgroups
| >
| > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

| > "eskravitz" wrote:
| >
| > | I just bought (about a month ago) a new computer from Ibuypower (a
| > | legitimate OEM). There was a broken fan on the motherboard and they sent a
| > | technician out to replace the motherboard (the part was sent to me new in box
| > | with the certificate of authenticity, which I also have for my windows xp
| > | recovery disk).
| > |