Post Service Pack 2 updates

I recently had to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition on my machine because I
was complacent and did not keep up on my updates. As a result, my machine
was riddled with worms, trojans, etc. So, I used a Win 98 boot disk and
deleted the partition and installed a fresh XP. I ordered Service Pack 2 and
installed that along with Norman Antivirus. However, I still need to get up
to speed from SVC Pack2. Any suggestions on where I can find these updates
so I can download them? I won't be using my machine as I don't want to risk
it. In other words, that page where you go and your machine is scanned for
applicable updates won't work because I'll be using someone else's machine.
I was hoping someone would be able to tell me exactly where to go and I'll
download them onto my jumpdrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

DanB
6 answers Last reply
More about post service pack updates

    Did you ever use Windows Update???

    In Internet Explorer, choose Tools and Windows Update.

    JP

    DanB wrote:
    > I recently had to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition on my
    > machine because I was complacent and did not keep up on my
    > updates. As a result, my machine was riddled with worms,
    > trojans, etc. So, I used a Win 98 boot disk and deleted the
    > partition and installed a fresh XP. I ordered Service Pack
    > 2 and installed that along with Norman Antivirus. However,
    > I still need to get up to speed from SVC Pack2. Any
    > suggestions on where I can find these updates so I can
    > download them? I won't be using my machine as I don't want
    > to risk it. In other words, that page where you go and your
    > machine is scanned for applicable updates won't work because
    > I'll be using someone else's machine. I was hoping someone
    > would be able to tell me exactly where to go and I'll
    > download them onto my jumpdrive. Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated!!
    >
    > DanB

    Dan,

    The problem with this approach is that you won't know which
    updates to download. As long as you've got your AV program and
    firewall up and running you should at least make one trip to
    the Windows Update site to create a list of updates that need
    to be installed on your computer. There are currently 60
    critical and 23 recommended post SP2 updates available for XP.
    Not all of them will apply to your computer.

    If you are determined to follow your approach, go to this web
    site:

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

    Click on "Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems"
    Scroll through the list to the next to last item, Windows XP
    SP2.
    Hit the search button.
    Click on "Critical Updates and Service Packs".
    Go through the list and click the Add button for each item you
    want to download.
    Do the same for "Recommended Updates".
    Once you're finished the selection process, click on "Go to
    Download Basket".
    Hit the Browse button and select the location where you want to
    save the files.

    If you want more info on this process, here's a MS article on
    the subject:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323166

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    DanB wrote:

    > I recently had to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition on my machine because I
    > was complacent and did not keep up on my updates. As a result, my machine
    > was riddled with worms, trojans, etc. So, I used a Win 98 boot disk and
    > deleted the partition and installed a fresh XP. I ordered Service Pack 2 and
    > installed that along with Norman Antivirus. However, I still need to get up
    > to speed from SVC Pack2. Any suggestions on where I can find these updates
    > so I can download them? I won't be using my machine as I don't want to risk
    > it. In other words, that page where you go and your machine is scanned for
    > applicable updates won't work because I'll be using someone else's machine.
    > I was hoping someone would be able to tell me exactly where to go and I'll
    > download them onto my jumpdrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    >
    > DanB
    Hi,

    Post-SP2 Critical Updates for WindowsXP
    http://www.kurttrail.com/microscum/postsp2/

    The "Download Now" links on this web page are downloading from
    Microsoft's download center...

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    for xppro, though somebody else may find it useful:
    http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/patches/

    By firewall, do you mean the firewall that came with Service Pack 2? I don't
    have a firewall of my own installed. Do you think that the firewall that
    came with Service Pack 2 and Norman Antivirus is sufficient enough for me to
    go and do some research? I just really don't want to go through these
    headaches again. I know that there's always going to be a potential threat,
    but I want to be prepared. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

    DanB wrote:
    > By firewall, do you mean the firewall that came with Service
    > Pack 2? I don't have a firewall of my own installed. Do
    > you think that the firewall that came with Service Pack 2
    > and Norman Antivirus is sufficient enough for me to go and
    > do some research? I just really don't want to go through
    > these headaches again. I know that there's always going to
    > be a potential threat, but I want to be prepared. Please
    > let me know what you think. Thanks!

    Because it only monitors inbound traffic, the built-in Windows
    firewall is barely adequate. Still, it's better than nothing.
    There are a number of free software firewalls available that
    monitor outbound traffic as well:

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

    Sygate Personal Firewall
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

    Kerio Personal Firewall
    http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

    I've used Zone Alarm in the past and found it effective and
    easy to configure. If you have faith in the company whose AV
    software you're using you might want to consider their firewall
    program.

    As you point out, the simple act of connecting to the internet
    puts any system at risk. That said, I've never had a problem
    using Windows update on a new system. I was confident that the
    installed AV and firewall apps would protect the machine. I'm
    also a believer in putting all computers, even a single
    machine, behind a router that's runing NAT.

    Maybe if I'd experienced the problems you outlined I'd be more
    cautious. The bottom line is that you've got to decide what
    level of protection is enough for you.

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

Windows XP