"Supervisor Password Required"

I am running Microsoft Windows XP Pro. When I go to "tools" then "internet
options", and then click on "content" tab, I get a window that opens and
requires a "Supervisor Password" that I have no idea what it is. I did not
put this password on the system and would really like to get rid of it. It
even offers a "hint" that I do not know. No one else uses this pc, so I have
no idea how it got the password prompt. Any ideas on how to get rid of this
password requirement?
3 answers Last reply
More about supervisor password required

    DrummyC wrote:
    > I am running Microsoft Windows XP Pro. When I go to "tools"
    > then "internet options", and then click on "content" tab, I
    > get a window that opens and requires a "Supervisor Password"
    > that I have no idea what it is. I did not put this password
    > on the system and would really like to get rid of it. It
    > even offers a "hint" that I do not know. No one else uses
    > this pc, so I have no idea how it got the password prompt.
    > Any ideas on how to get rid of this password requirement?

    You might want to take a look at this article:

    http://www.pchell.com/support/contentadvisor.shtml

    You might want to scan your PC for a virus or some sort of
    spyware. That type of behavior sounds a lot like what a pest
    would do to prevent you from hindering it's activity.

    Nepatsfan

    "Nepatsfan" wrote:

    > DrummyC wrote:
    > > I am running Microsoft Windows XP Pro. When I go to "tools"
    > > then "internet options", and then click on "content" tab, I
    > > get a window that opens and requires a "Supervisor Password"
    > > that I have no idea what it is. I did not put this password
    > > on the system and would really like to get rid of it. It
    > > even offers a "hint" that I do not know. No one else uses
    > > this pc, so I have no idea how it got the password prompt.
    > > Any ideas on how to get rid of this password requirement?
    >
    > You might want to take a look at this article:
    >
    > http://www.pchell.com/support/contentadvisor.shtml
    >
    > You might want to scan your PC for a virus or some sort of
    > spyware. That type of behavior sounds a lot like what a pest
    > would do to prevent you from hindering it's activity.
    >
    > Nepatsfan

    False alarm. After many days of looking for the answer, I happened to ask my
    son, the copmuter wiz, and he recognized the "hint" as his password to access
    his email account at the University where he works. I tried his password and
    it worked. Whew. At least it wasn't a virus, and thank you a great deal for
    your input.

    DrummyC wrote:
    > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
    >
    >> DrummyC wrote:
    >>> I am running Microsoft Windows XP Pro. When I go to "tools"
    >>> then "internet options", and then click on "content" tab, I
    >>> get a window that opens and requires a "Supervisor
    >>> Password" that I have no idea what it is. I did not put
    >>> this password on the system and would really like to get
    >>> rid of it. It even offers a "hint" that I do not know. No
    >>> one else uses this pc, so I have no idea how it got the
    >>> password prompt. Any ideas on how to get rid of this
    >>> password requirement?
    >>
    >> You might want to take a look at this article:
    >>
    >> http://www.pchell.com/support/contentadvisor.shtml
    >>
    >> You might want to scan your PC for a virus or some sort of
    >> spyware. That type of behavior sounds a lot like what a pest
    >> would do to prevent you from hindering it's activity.
    >>
    >> Nepatsfan
    >
    > False alarm. After many days of looking for the answer, I
    > happened to ask my son, the copmuter wiz, and he recognized
    > the "hint" as his password to access his email account at
    > the University where he works. I tried his password and it
    > worked. Whew. At least it wasn't a virus, and thank you a
    > great deal for your input.

    Glad to hear you got it fixed.

    Nepatsfan

Security Microsoft Windows XP