VIVO?

This obviously refers to a card having a video in as well as out, but
how useable is it in 'real world' terms, for doing video captures?

Cheers

--
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
> This obviously refers to a card having a video in as well as out, but
> how useable is it in 'real world' terms, for doing video captures?

The card itself creats a non compressed stream requring the CPU to perform
the conversion to compressed video. If you CPU isn't good enough you will
get dropped frames. In this respect a VIVO card isn't as good as a dedicated
capture device with a hardware compressor.

Be warned, companies will supply a Video Packaged which includes the Codec's
required to perform the compression. The software supplied isn't
neccessarily the best available. If you do get dropped frames and poor video
there is nothing to stop you using a better package which includes better,
and more efficient, codecs. Or you can even go for a standalone software
compressor with limited editing facilities. The Mainconcept MPEG Encoder is
one good example that I use.

It's usable. Biggest problem is that the capture driver tends to be tied to
the video card driver so updating drivers can/is a pain.

I have a 64DDR VIVO and when it gets replaced it will be with two separate
items.