AIW 7500 AGP runs at 60HZ!!

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

I have a old ATI All in Wonder 7500 AGP. It has been a OK video card,
but it has a few oddities, one of which has become an issue. A couple
of years ago, when I ran it with my Mitsubishi 2040u, I never had a
problem, but now, when I run it with either my Nokia 445PRO, or high
end IIyama 17 inch, it runs at 60Hz refresh rate, in any version of
windows.

I can use the Settings>Advanced>Adaptor setting to set it to 85Hz, and
it will show 85Hz, but the monitor tells me, and appears to be
running at, only 60Hz. If I use ATIs advanced tools >>> Monitor Tab>>
to set the refresh rate, then I can force the 7500 to output to 85 Hz
or above, but it won't work normally, running at a optimized refresh,
with either of these CRTs. In both cases I have monitor drivers
installed.

Needless to say, this is a major annoyance, particularly when chancing
resolutions, which becomes a major event. Any ideas why it does this
and if there is any solution?

On Mon, 30 May 2005 11:09:11 -0700, nobody@nowhere.com wrote:

>I have a old ATI All in Wonder 7500 AGP. It has been a OK video card,
>but it has a few oddities, one of which has become an issue. A couple
>of years ago, when I ran it with my Mitsubishi 2040u, I never had a
>problem, but now, when I run it with either my Nokia 445PRO, or high
>end IIyama 17 inch, it runs at 60Hz refresh rate, in any version of
>windows.
>

>I can use the Settings>Advanced>Adaptor setting to set it to 85Hz, and
>it will show 85Hz, but the monitor tells me, and appears to be
>running at, only 60Hz. If I use ATIs advanced tools >>> Monitor Tab>>
>to set the refresh rate, then I can force the 7500 to output to 85 Hz
>or above, but it won't work normally, running at a optimized refresh,
>with either of these CRTs. In both cases I have monitor drivers
>installed.
>

>Needless to say, this is a major annoyance, particularly when chancing
>resolutions, which becomes a major event. Any ideas why it does this
>and if there is any solution?

Your problem sounds familiar. Unfortunately it happened to me a while
ago so I don't recall the solution clearly but I think it has to do
with the multiple monitor capacity of the system. Trying enabling and
disablitying the out put to TV (in the
Display/properties/advanced/display window and then resetting the
refresh rate.

You could try Powerstrip
with the XP default display
drivers. These are better
then catalyst's.

Le Mon, 30 May 2005 11:09:11 -0700, nobody@nowhere.com a écrit :

>I have a old ATI All in Wonder 7500 AGP. It has been a OK video card,
>but it has a few oddities, one of which has become an issue. A couple
>of years ago, when I ran it with my Mitsubishi 2040u, I never had a
>problem, but now, when I run it with either my Nokia 445PRO, or high
>end IIyama 17 inch, it runs at 60Hz refresh rate, in any version of
>windows.
>

>I can use the Settings>Advanced>Adaptor setting to set it to 85Hz, and
>it will show 85Hz, but the monitor tells me, and appears to be
>running at, only 60Hz. If I use ATIs advanced tools >>> Monitor Tab>>
>to set the refresh rate, then I can force the 7500 to output to 85 Hz
>or above, but it won't work normally, running at a optimized refresh,
>with either of these CRTs. In both cases I have monitor drivers
>installed.
>

>Needless to say, this is a major annoyance, particularly when chancing
>resolutions, which becomes a major event. Any ideas why it does this
>and if there is any solution?

Mon Site: http://users.swing.be/dinosaures

Ian

Lo wrote:
> You could try Powerstrip
> with the XP default display
> drivers. These are better
> then catalyst's.

Erm..... better than Catalysts? Right - meanwhile, down here on planet
earth.....

Disable the use of DDC in the driver control panel and possibly ditch
the monitor drivers you have installed. You should them be able to force
the refresh rate you want (just be careful not to overdo it! lol).

Powerstrip is handy too, agreed. Also look on Google for "Reforce"
(which is freeware).

Ian.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0522-11, 03/06/2005
Tested on: 03/06/2005 17:30:22