Half Life and motion sickness

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

"Ryan Coque" <ryan.coque@gmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.thetoque.com/041207/motion_sickness.htm

I recall some people got sick playing the original Doom. The swaying weapon
was most often blamed, although a patch to still the weapon was only
partially successful in quelling those churning stomachs.
Out of the several dozen FPSs I've played only the original Turok made me
ill. Fortunately the game stank as badly as Daikatana so I don't lament
that small loss.

darius

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Steve Humiston" <sigurdhhNoSpam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Ryan Coque" <ryan.coque@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.thetoque.com/041207/motion_sickness.htm
>
> I recall some people got sick playing the original Doom. The swaying
> weapon was most often blamed, although a patch to still the weapon was
> only partially successful in quelling those churning stomachs.
> Out of the several dozen FPSs I've played only the original Turok made me
> ill. Fortunately the game stank as badly as Daikatana so I don't lament
> that small loss.

In all seriousness, my brother became quite nauseated while playing HL2. He
found that by slightly increasing the field of view (to about 90 degrees) he
was able to keep the nausea from returning.

On an interesting side-note, I nearly blew chunks whilst playing RUNE for
the first time - and I DID throw up once while playing HEXEN many years ago,
but I was quite ill at the time and I think the game merely aggrivated an
allready unfortunate situation.

Hmm.. enough about it allready. More Game less Vomit.

- Michael (Darius)
"There can be only one."

rico

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 05:14:46 -0800, Steve Humiston wrote:
> "Ryan Coque" <ryan.coque@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.thetoque.com/041207/motion_sickness.htm
>
> I recall some people got sick playing the original Doom. The swaying weapon
> was most often blamed, although a patch to still the weapon was only
> partially successful in quelling those churning stomachs.
> Out of the several dozen FPSs I've played only the original Turok made me
> ill. Fortunately the game stank as badly as Daikatana so I don't lament
> that small loss.

I've decided that my favourite part of the half-life 2 experience so far
was figuring out by myself how to use the RPG to down the gunship from
under the huge bridge on, I believe, the Highway 17 chapter. That's also
where I tried every chance of using the crossbow to sneak up on the
Combine soldiers on my way to the switch on the other side.

That part is the most damn freaking realistic. With the wind you hear
blowing you feel pretty flimsy over the vast emptiness of the ocean
underneath as you 'hang' by the tip of your toe nails along those beams of
cold steel.

All right. I've finished the game a couple of hours ago. Gotta give credit
to the developers (including story writers, scene creators, innovators,
whatever they are to be called, all of them) because, ironically, the
'buggy' part of the game is my favourite part of the experience and brings
the whole thing to the level of the hell of an Epic Journey. Well done.

Rico.

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

> I've decided that my favourite part of the half-life 2 experience so far
> was figuring out by myself how to use the RPG to down the gunship from
> under the huge bridge on, I believe, the Highway 17 chapter. That's also
> where I tried every chance of using the crossbow to sneak up on the
> Combine soldiers on my way to the switch on the other side.
>
> That part is the most damn freaking realistic. With the wind you hear
> blowing you feel pretty flimsy over the vast emptiness of the ocean
> underneath as you 'hang' by the tip of your toe nails along those beams of
> cold steel.
>
> All right. I've finished the game a couple of hours ago. Gotta give credit
> to the developers (including story writers, scene creators, innovators,
> whatever they are to be called, all of them) because, ironically, the
> 'buggy' part of the game is my favourite part of the experience and brings
> the whole thing to the level of the hell of an Epic Journey. Well done.
>
> Rico.

Ah, yes the Bridge part was my favorite as well. Eerie realism.
I wish I could go back and play it all for the first time again. (Half Life
1, too.)

"Rotwang" <rot(ne)wang2000@yahoo(spem).com> skrev:

> I used to have a dizzyness problem with Doom and Duke Nukem, but I seem to
> have gotten used to it all. No problems with HL2 in any case.

Isn't there a way to change the "field of view" in HL2 ?
I tried to do it but nothing changed in my HL2

Does anyone have the receipt for doing this ?

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

"Ryan Coque" <ryan.coque@gmail.com> wrote in message
| http://www.thetoque.com/041207/motion_sickness.htm

I have to agree with the article in one respect, Descent does cause
some serious vertigo when you roll the spaceship and it looks (on
screen) like your gameworld is spiraling (sp) out of control. I have
also noticed the motion sickness feeling or nausea after being away
from gaming for a spell (after a vacation of a week or more) and then
sitting back down to some heavy FPS action, but I guess I never had
the urge to upchuck.

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
> "Rotwang" <rot(ne)wang2000@yahoo(spem).com> skrev:
>

>>I used to have a dizzyness problem with Doom and Duke Nukem, but I seem to
>>have gotten used to it all. No problems with HL2 in any case.
>

> Isn't there a way to change the "field of view" in HL2 ?
> I tried to do it but nothing changed in my HL2
>
> Does anyone have the receipt for doing this ?

There is. I'm guessing you know the command because you tried to change
it (it's "fov" or something). The reason it won't actually work is
because it's considered a cheat; you can see more than most normally
can. Hence, you need to type "sv_cheats 1" before entering the fov command.

GFree skrev:

> There is. I'm guessing you know the command because you tried to change
> it (it's "fov" or something). The reason it won't actually work is
> because it's considered a cheat; you can see more than most normally
> can. Hence, you need to type "sv_cheats 1" before entering the fov command.

I think I have that enabled too (I can use "noclip" and "god")

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

TRENDING THREADS