Acces denied to modify folder

I have an XP delima. I have Xp pro workstation that i set up as a server to
share files and folders. I grant specific users both the shared permissions
and advanced permissions. they can see the folder and access the folders. but
they cannot modify them. It says "access denied". I verified that the
permissions were not propogating fromt he parent folder also. Everything that
i see says it should work, but it doesnt. iThe only thing i got to work was
giving the user full rights to the above folder..which is for all to share
but not to modify. anyone have any suggestions, i have done this on many 2000
pc;'s with no problem. What am i missing with XP as the server? please help...

alozada@chd.org
2 answers Last reply
More about acces denied modify folder

    New Admin wrote:

    > I have an XP delima

    Please see the answer to your *first* post in the other newsgroup to
    which you posted. I also answered your *second* post in that newsgroup
    and gave you lots of information on how to use a newsreader. Make sure
    you go to the link that explains why multi-posting (like you did here)
    is Not Good.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    "" wrote:
    > I have an XP delima. I have Xp pro workstation that i set up
    > as a server to
    > share files and folders. I grant specific users both the
    > shared permissions
    > and advanced permissions. they can see the folder and access
    > the folders. but
    > they cannot modify them. It says "access denied". I verified
    > that the
    > permissions were not propogating fromt he parent folder also.
    > Everything that
    > i see says it should work, but it doesnt. iThe only thing i
    > got to work was
    > giving the user full rights to the above folder..which is for
    > all to share
    > but not to modify. anyone have any suggestions, i have done
    > this on many 2000
    > pc;'s with no problem. What am i missing with XP as the
    > server? please help...
    >
    > alozada@chd.org

    Did you forget to set the Windows FIle Sharing Permisons? (these work
    indipendantly of NTFS permisons, but override NTFS file permissons for
    network accessd files) You find these on the "Sharing" tab in file
    properties menu, clikc on the "permissons" button.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-Acces-denied-modify-folder-ftopict400221.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1322995

Windows XP Permissions