Acces denied to modify folder

July 25, 2005 11:54:04 AM

I have an XP delima. I have Xp pro workstation that i set up as a server to
share files and folders. I grant specific users both the shared permissions
and advanced permissions. they can see the folder and access the folders. but
they cannot modify them. It says "access denied". I verified that the
permissions were not propogating fromt he parent folder also. Everything that
i see says it should work, but it doesnt. iThe only thing i got to work was
giving the user full rights to the above folder..which is for all to share
but not to modify. anyone have any suggestions, i have done this on many 2000
pc;'s with no problem. What am i missing with XP as the server? please help...

alozada@chd.org
July 25, 2005 1:30:59 PM

New Admin wrote:

> I have an XP delima

Please see the answer to your *first* post in the other newsgroup to
which you posted. I also answered your *second* post in that newsgroup
and gave you lots of information on how to use a newsreader. Make sure
you go to the link that explains why multi-posting (like you did here)
is Not Good.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"" wrote:
> I have an XP delima. I have Xp pro workstation that i set up
> as a server to
> share files and folders. I grant specific users both the
> shared permissions
> and advanced permissions. they can see the folder and access
> the folders. but
> they cannot modify them. It says "access denied". I verified
> that the
> permissions were not propogating fromt he parent folder also.
> Everything that
> i see says it should work, but it doesnt. iThe only thing i
> got to work was
> giving the user full rights to the above folder..which is for
> all to share
> but not to modify. anyone have any suggestions, i have done
> this on many 2000
> pc;'s with no problem. What am i missing with XP as the
> server? please help...
>
> alozada@chd.org

Did you forget to set the Windows FIle Sharing Permisons? (these work
indipendantly of NTFS permisons, but override NTFS file permissons for
network accessd files) You find these on the "Sharing" tab in file
properties menu, clikc on the "permissons" button.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-Acces-denie...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1322995
!