Re-activation request

I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that requests that I
reactivate windows XP within three days because there has been changes in my
hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask for that?

Don
2 answers Last reply
More about activation request

    "Don1157" <Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that requests that I
    >reactivate windows XP within three days because there has been changes in my
    >hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask for that?
    >
    >Don

    Have you added any new hardware or replaced any hardware components
    recently?

    That message normally results when Windows XP starts up and calculates
    a control number based on the physical hardware components actually
    found at startup. This total is then compared to the saved control
    number from when Windows was originally installed (or was most
    recently reactivated) and if the two values differ by more than a
    certain amount the reactivation request is issued.

    For a more detailed explanation see the article by the late Alex
    Nichol MVP at http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    I did not think I changed that much over time, but maybe I did. Thanks for
    the suggestion!

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "Don1157" <Don1157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I am fearing I may have a virus. at startup I get a box that requests that I
    > >reactivate windows XP within three days because there has been changes in my
    > >hardware on my desktop. Would microsoft ask for that?
    > >
    > >Don
    >
    > Have you added any new hardware or replaced any hardware components
    > recently?
    >
    > That message normally results when Windows XP starts up and calculates
    > a control number based on the physical hardware components actually
    > found at startup. This total is then compared to the saved control
    > number from when Windows was originally installed (or was most
    > recently reactivated) and if the two values differ by more than a
    > certain amount the reactivation request is issued.
    >
    > For a more detailed explanation see the article by the late Alex
    > Nichol MVP at http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --