  • Cameras
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 28, 2004 11:28:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.graphics.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I'm thinking of getting a Nikon d70 and would like to know about the memory
cards available.
Do they come in different speeds as well as size?
What are the options among the 1 gigabite cards?
What are the specs that I should be looking for in a card, besides the size,
to give me the fastest response times with the camera?
Is there really much of a difference? Are the differences important to the
shutter lag? The time it takes to write and make the camera available for
the next shot? The ability to use motor drive series of shots?
My main interest is is getting the fastest time between pressing the shutter
and taking the shot, and then in the time it would take to be ready to take
the next shot.
Thanks for any advice.

More about : advice memory cards

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 11:28:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.graphics.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Fri, 28 May 2004 19:28:29 +0100, "Luis ORTEGA" <lortega@ntlworld.com>
found these unused words floating about:

>I'm thinking of getting a Nikon d70 and would like to know about the memory
>cards available.
>Do they come in different speeds as well as size?
yes
>What are the options among the 1 gigabite cards?
>What are the specs that I should be looking for in a card, besides the size,
>to give me the fastest response times with the camera?
size unimportant as to writing speed (e.g. 20x).
>Is there really much of a difference?
If it's too slow for the camra model - it slows down the write. Too fast and
you waste $$
> Are the differences important to the
>shutter lag?
Camera function only.
>The time it takes to write and make the camera available for
>the next shot?
Can be, depending upon the internal buffer and format you're shooting.
>The ability to use motor drive series of shots?
Buffer + write speed = limit.
>My main interest is is getting the fastest time between pressing the shutter
>and taking the shot, and then in the time it would take to be ready to take
>the next shot.
>Thanks for any advice.

Anonymous
May 29, 2004 12:20:15 AM

Luis ORTEGA wrote:

> I'm thinking of getting a Nikon d70 and would like to know about the memory
> cards available.
> Do they come in different speeds as well as size?

Compact Flash comes in all sizes from 16MB (yuk) up to 4GB. The 4GB card
will cost you more than the camera tho :-(
There are a variety of speeds available. They use ratings such as 32X a
little like CdRoms use X ratings. I don't know if they are equivalent in
speed or if the X rating is specific to memory cards.

> My main interest is is getting the fastest time between pressing the shutter
> and taking the shot, and then in the time it would take to be ready to take
> the next shot.
> Thanks for any advice.

Most 'decent' cameras allow you to take the next shot while the last few
are still being written to the card from the cameras buffer. I would be
astounded if the D70 didn't have that feature. If you plan to take a lot
of action shots or use burst mode a lot, then a fast card maybe worth
it. If not you'll be paying extra for something you'd rarely take
advantage of.

JP
Related resources
May 29, 2004 12:25:55 AM

"Luis ORTEGA" <lortega@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of getting a Nikon d70 and would like to know about the
memory
> cards available.
> Do they come in different speeds as well as size?
Yes
> What are the options among the 1 gigabite cards?
> What are the specs that I should be looking for in a card, besides the
size,
> to give me the fastest response times with the camera?
> Is there really much of a difference? Are the differences important to the
> shutter lag?
No because the D70 has an internal buffer.
>The time it takes to write and make the camera available for
> the next shot?
No because the D70 has an interrnal buffer.
>The ability to use motor drive series of shots?
Yes, because you will eventually fill the internal buffer. With a fast
card, you can shoot at 3fps until you fill the card up.
Jim
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 4:54:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.graphics.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

This is from the Nikon web site:

Nikon has tested the following cards and approved their use in the D70
Digital SLR:

SanDisk SDCFB series 16 MB, 48 MB, 80 MB, 96 MB, 128 MB, 160 MB,
256 MB, 512 MB and 1 GB
SanDisk SDCFB (Type II) 192 MB and 300 MB
Sandisk SDCF2B (Type II) 256 MB
Sandisk SDCFH 128 MB, 192 MB, 256 MB, 384 MB, 512 MB and 1 GB
Sandisk SDCFX 512 MB and 1 GB

Lexar Media 4x USB series 16 MB, 32 MB and 64 MB
Lexar Media 8x USB series 16 MB, 32 MB, 48 MB, 64 MB, and 80 MB
Lexar Media 10x USB series 160 MB
Lexar Media 12x USB series 64 MB, 128 MB, 192 MB, 256 MB and 512 MB
Lexar Media 16x USB series 192 MB, 256 MB, 320 MB, 512 MB
640 MB and 1 GB
Lexar Media 24x USB series 256 MB and 512 MB
Lexar Media 24x WA* USB series 256 MB and 512 MB
Lexar Media 32x WA* USB series 1GB
Lexar Media 40x WA* USB series 256 MB, 512 MB, 2 GB, 4 GB

Renesas Technology (Hitachi) Compact Flash HB28C8x 16 MB and 32 MB

Microdrive DSCM 512 MB and 1 GB
Microdrive 3K4 2 GB and 4 GB

Other brands and capacities of cards may work, but Nikon cannot guarantee
their operation. Check with the manufacturer of the third-party card for
compatibility information. Nikon recommends keeping one of the approved
cards available for troubleshooting.

*Lexar Media Write Acceleration (WA) Compact Flash cards are supported in
Standard Write Mode only.

"JP White" <jpwhite3@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:o uRtc.11696$UA3.3212@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> Luis ORTEGA wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking of getting a Nikon d70 and would like to know about the
memory
> > cards available.
> > Do they come in different speeds as well as size?

Anonymous
May 29, 2004 9:07:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.graphics.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I get about 20+ shots at 3fps using a 25x kingston 512mb and 40+ shots using
a 45x Transcend 1 Gb, all before the buffer fills and the shutter responds
with a hiccup. So will you shoot 20 continuous shots or 40 ?

In real life, autofocus will slow you down unless in continuous mode or
fixed focus.
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 3:10:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.graphics.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

thanks,
but what does this mean?

"*Lexar Media Write Acceleration (WA) Compact Flash cards are supported in
Standard Write Mode only."

how will it affect shooting with the nikon d70?

!