Unable to access my files

FeliX

I had recently had to reinstall Windows XP. However, after I reinstalled, I
could not access or use any of the old software or files that were still on
the computer such as microsoft office. When I try to open and use the
software, it takes me into the software screen (ie a blank document for
word/excel) and it tells me that the software is not installed under the
current user and then the program closes down. I also cannot access my
documents saved under my user name. When I try to open the folder, it tells
me that I do not have access to it. It will not allow me to edit its name or
delete it as well. In addition, it keeps telling me the folder is empty when
I right click and look on its properties while at the same when I go up a
folder and look under properties, the same folder has 9 megs in it. Any help
or suggestions?

Felix wrote:
> I had recently had to reinstall Windows XP. However, after I
> reinstalled, I could not access or use any of the old
> software or files that were still on the computer such as
> microsoft office. When I try to open and use the software,
> it takes me into the software screen (ie a blank document
> for word/excel) and it tells me that the software is not
> installed under the current user and then the program closes
> down. I also cannot access my documents saved under my user
> name. When I try to open the folder, it tells me that I do
> not have access to it. It will not allow me to edit its name
> or delete it as well. In addition, it keeps telling me the
> folder is empty when I right click and look on its
> properties while at the same when I go up a folder and look
> under properties, the same folder has 9 megs in it. Any help
> or suggestions?

For the first problem, try reinstalling your applications.

In order to access your old files and folders you need to take
ownership. Take a look here for the procedure:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

Good luck

Nepatsfan