PSU for Compag upgrade

Gordon

I want to upgrade my video card but the PSU is 220 Watts. I've read that
thes are pretty propietary. Anyone know if there's off the shelf stuff out
there to replace a Compaq PSU for a Presario 6000T?

Gordon

Compaq, like all the big computer manufacturers, use NON-Standard power
supplies and connections in their computers. So you are basically out of
luck. A standard power supply will not work in your system.

--
DaveW

"Gordon" <notnow@no.com> wrote in message
>I want to upgrade my video card but the PSU is 220 Watts. I've read that
>thes are pretty propietary. Anyone know if there's off the shelf stuff out
>there to replace a Compaq PSU for a Presario 6000T?
>
> Gordon

Gordon

So what's the worst that happens if i plug an X700 ATI AGP or NVidia6600 GT
in my Compaq with a 220 Watt power supply?

> Compaq, like all the big computer manufacturers, use NON-Standard power
> supplies and connections in their computers. So you are basically out of
> luck. A standard power supply will not work in your system.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Gordon" <notnow@no.com> wrote in message
>>I want to upgrade my video card but the PSU is 220 Watts. I've read that
>>thes are pretty propietary. Anyone know if there's off the shelf stuff out
>>there to replace a Compaq PSU for a Presario 6000T?
>>
>> Gordon

bill

In article <Pf6oe.15616$IX4.621@twister.nyc.rr.com>, notnow@no.com
says...

> So what's the worst that happens if i plug an X700 ATI AGP or NVidia6600 GT
> in my Compaq with a 220 Watt power supply?

It blows the power supply, video card, motherboard, cpu, memory,
scrambles the hard drive, and the IRS audits you for the last 5 years
of income.

Bill

Gordon wrote:
> So what's the worst that happens if i plug an X700 ATI AGP or NVidia6600 GT
> in my Compaq with a 220 Watt power supply?

The *worst* that happens is that the power supply dies a horrible death
and takes many other computer components with it.

The more likely scenario is that the system does not boot due to
insufficient power.

A less likely scenario is that it boots and seems to work, except when
you get into 3D games/watching DVD's where the system locks up/is unstable.

The least likely scenario is that everything works fine. 6600GT's and
the new X series of Radeons draw heavily on the 12V line, I suspect if
you open up the case, look at the label on the side of the PSU at the
+12V, +5V and +3.3V amp values you'll find that they're all fairly low
which won't allow (reliably) for modern graphics cards.