Regedit problem - Missing menu items and help

a b 8 Security
July 26, 2005 1:21:02 AM

I have to tweak some object permissions for some new software that I am
hives too. I have checked other XP machines where all these functions are
working. The situation seems like a security or policy setting but my
research over the past two days has not been successful. I am not
experiencing RegEdit as being disabled and it appears to allow changes, but I
haven't really checked. Any ideas...
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 26, 2005 1:29:03 AM

Also same thing occurs when logged on as Admistrator or as user in
Adminstrators group.

"hburgh" wrote:

> I have to tweak some object permissions for some new software that I am
> hives too. I have checked other XP machines where all these functions are
> working. The situation seems like a security or policy setting but my
> research over the past two days has not been successful. I am not
> experiencing RegEdit as being disabled and it appears to allow changes, but I
> haven't really checked. Any ideas...
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 26, 2005 4:47:08 AM

"hburgh" <hburgh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have to tweak some object permissions for some new software that I am
> or
> hives too. I have checked other XP machines where all these functions are
> working. The situation seems like a security or policy setting but my
> research over the past two days has not been successful. I am not
> experiencing RegEdit as being disabled and it appears to allow changes,
> but I
> haven't really checked. Any ideas...

Only thing I can think of is that you are using regedit.exe from Windows
2000? (somehow copied it over...???) In 2000, there was no access to the
permissions through regedit.exe-- instead, one needed to use regedt32.exe
(in XP, these both launch the same tool, but in NT/2000 they were
different.)

Have you tried running regedt32 instead?

Long shot, but maybe...

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP

No this code from XP. I show also add that I copied regedit.exe from
another machine and put it on this one with the same results.

"Colin Nash [MVP]" wrote:

> "hburgh" <hburgh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have to tweak some object permissions for some new software that I am
> > or
> > hives too. I have checked other XP machines where all these functions are
> > working. The situation seems like a security or policy setting but my
> > research over the past two days has not been successful. I am not
> > experiencing RegEdit as being disabled and it appears to allow changes,
> > but I
> > haven't really checked. Any ideas...
>
> Only thing I can think of is that you are using regedit.exe from Windows
> 2000? (somehow copied it over...???) In 2000, there was no access to the
> permissions through regedit.exe-- instead, one needed to use regedt32.exe
> (in XP, these both launch the same tool, but in NT/2000 they were
> different.)
>
> Have you tried running regedt32 instead?
>
> Long shot, but maybe...
>

> --
> Colin Nash
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 26, 2005 3:08:03 PM

Your post got me looking for an older copy of regedit on my system. An older
Software package copied an old version to C:\windows\system32 while the SP2
version was in C:\windows.

Because I was using the Run function, the path appears to have system32
before windows\ so the older version was run.

Special thanks to Doug Knox for the utility to create copies of regedit to
"emergencyutils" where a working version regedit.com was placed.

hburgh

!