Sapphire X800XL - unable to install ATI CAT drivers

Appreciate any help - just bought a Sapphire AGP X800XL to replace my
nVidea 4800TI.

Running 2.4GHZ with 1 GB RAM

(Intel Motherboard D845GBV BIOS RG84510A.86A.0033.P17)

Only seems to run on'VGASAFE' - on installing Cat Drivers I get the
following 'SEVERE' messagee: -
'setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to set up your display
adaptor with a Standard VGA driver before running setup'

I can't seem to get rid of 'VGASafe' and replace it with 'Standard VGA'

Any help much appreciated

Dave

> Appreciate any help - just bought a Sapphire AGP X800XL to replace my
> nVidea 4800TI.
>
> Running 2.4GHZ with 1 GB RAM
>
> (Intel Motherboard D845GBV BIOS RG84510A.86A.0033.P17)
>
> Only seems to run on'VGASAFE' - on installing Cat Drivers I get the
> following 'SEVERE' messagee: -
> 'setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to set up your display
> adaptor with a Standard VGA driver before running setup'

Had this problem too, there seems to be a problem with the registry settings
and the CAT drivers under specific circumstances. One time I could only
reinstall Windows, some other times I could "fix" the problem with using the
original drivers from the driver CD. Have you uninstalled the NVidia drivers
first? Maybe that could be part of the problem. If not put your 4800TI back
in the box, reinstall drivers, uninstall drivers and remove the card. On
first boot with yout X800 cancel the installation wizard (it will come up
for two times) and when you are back in Windows try reinstalling the CATs.

Good luck!
Chris

Thanks Chris, I have tried re-installing the nVidea card and then removing
the nVidea drivers. Re-installed the ATI card but still the same. ATI
drivers seem to be looking for 'standard VGA'

Not sure what else I can do

Dave
"Christian Atteneder" <atteneder.christian@aon.at> wrote in message
>> Appreciate any help - just bought a Sapphire AGP X800XL to replace my
>> nVidea 4800TI.
>>
>> Running 2.4GHZ with 1 GB RAM
>>
>> (Intel Motherboard D845GBV BIOS RG84510A.86A.0033.P17)
>>
>> Only seems to run on'VGASAFE' - on installing Cat Drivers I get the
>> following 'SEVERE' messagee: -
>> 'setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to set up your
>> display adaptor with a Standard VGA driver before running setup'
>>

> Had this problem too, there seems to be a problem with the registry
> settings and the CAT drivers under specific circumstances. One time I
> could only reinstall Windows, some other times I could "fix" the problem
> with using the original drivers from the driver CD. Have you uninstalled
> the NVidia drivers first? Maybe that could be part of the problem. If not
> put your 4800TI back in the box, reinstall drivers, uninstall drivers and
> remove the card. On first boot with yout X800 cancel the installation
> wizard (it will come up for two times) and when you are back in Windows
> try reinstalling the CATs.
>
> Good luck!
> Chris

> Thanks Chris, I have tried re-installing the nVidea card and then removing
> the nVidea drivers. Re-installed the ATI card but still the same. ATI
> drivers seem to be looking for 'standard VGA'
>
> Not sure what else I can do

Hi David!

Did you use the driver that was provided with your video card or did you
download it from the ATI homepage? If you haven't tried both, do it. ATI
usually has two packages of the driver - one with separate drivers and
control panel and an all-in-one package. I once fixed that problem with the
all-in-one version. If that doesn't help you could try the following things:

1. Install the control panel first. Do not reboot and install the drivers.
This has worked for some people
2. Try installing the drivers in Save-Mode
3. Install the drivers manualy. Go to device manager, right click on the
video card an choose update driver. I am not sure if this way is still
possible, but you can give it a try.
4. If all else fails you could do a recovery installation of your Windows.
Boot from CD but don't choose a recovery installation. Do a normal
installation, let the installer find your existing installation directory
and then choose to repair the installation. The only thing you have to do
after that is to reinstall all Service Packs and Windows patches.

Good luck,
Chris

You might try this utility to get rid of all traces of conflicting drivers:
http://www.drivercleaner.net/

I used it when I switched from an NVidia 6800 to an ATI X800XL with no
problems.

Dirk