Finally almost got enough cash to get a Flat panel monitor. i've got a
budget of about £200, and i ideally want a 19" panel with at least 1152 x
864(higher would be prefered) native resolution or 11, course the reason i
post here, is cause i want to game on it, and i don't want to start messing
with RMA's, i know about all the down sides of LCD's, but i do a lot of
graphic and webdesign work, and the dam eye strain thing is killing me. so
far i've seen the Benq FP 931, which is rated for 16ms, and costs about
£185.
Any tips, recommendations would be greatly welcome
Thanks
--
"Blu-Ray"
2600+Sempron (O/C @2800+)

For your information: ALL 19" LCD monitors are
1280 x 1024 resolution. It's an industry standard.

--
DaveW

"Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Finally almost got enough cash to get a Flat panel monitor. i've got a
> budget of about £200, and i ideally want a 19" panel with at least 1152 x
> 864(higher would be prefered) native resolution or 11, course the reason i
> post here, is cause i want to game on it, and i don't want to start
> messing with RMA's, i know about all the down sides of LCD's, but i do a
> lot of graphic and webdesign work, and the dam eye strain thing is killing
> me. so far i've seen the Benq FP 931, which is rated for 16ms, and costs
> about £185.
> Any tips, recommendations would be greatly welcome
> Thanks
> --
> "Blu-Ray"
> 2600+Sempron (O/C @2800+)
> 512Mb DDR 400 (running in sync with cpu @ 184)
> 9600 pro 128 (O/C @ 420/500)
> Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ
> Raidmax cobra case
> Dual 12" Blue CCFL
> Blue LED fans
> Arctic Cooler Copper 2L
> "Cheap and very cheerful"
> Check it out @
> www.russianspacestation.iwarp.com/blu-ray.htm

"Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Finally almost got enough cash to get a Flat panel monitor. i've got a
> budget of about £200, and i ideally want a 19" panel with at least 1152 x
> 864(higher would be prefered) native resolution or 11, course the reason i
> post here, is cause i want to game on it, and i don't want to start
messing
> with RMA's, i know about all the down sides of LCD's, but i do a lot of
> graphic and webdesign work, and the dam eye strain thing is killing me. so
> far i've seen the Benq FP 931, which is rated for 16ms, and costs about
> £185.
> Any tips, recommendations would be greatly welcome
> Thanks

A local store not far from where I live had a *really* sweet price on a BenQ
FP737s-D near the end of April, and so I bought it. The thought of going
through another summer with my CRT pushed me over the edge on buying an LCD
too! My new BenQ is 17" and 16ms response time and has DVI capability (I'm
using it with a DVI cable too). It's not what you're looking for, but let
me relay my gaming experience with it anyway.

I've only experienced slight ghosting with one game, and that was NHL 2005.
There is a slight trail behind the players as they moved on screen.
Resolution scaling is quite good to my eyes, I'm able to drop down to
1024x768 and have no complaints with how the display looks. Even 800x600 is
fine to me. Thankfully my display has no dead pixels, and that's always a
relief! In terms of viewable area, this 17" LCD is very close to being as
big as my old 19" CRT. The difference is less than 1" and I hardly notice
it. This LCD also comes with a 3 year warranty, something I wasn't
expecting for the price I paid.

Far and away the biggest problem with my LCD is producing some (but not all)
shades of black. Games like Doom 3 and even Act 3 in Diablo 2 look better
on a CRT than they do on my new LCD. While I would not consider either of
those games to be unplayable, it's obvious that getting a proper black while
maintaining decent visibility of what else is going on in the background is
not as good as my old CRT. When you go shopping for an LCD, this is
something you should keep in mind and try to demo if possible. Not all
shades of black are bad on my LCD, but it can be something of an issue at
times. Mind you, the contrast ratio of my LCD is only 450:1.

Overall, I don't regret making the switch to LCD. I've reclaimed desk
space, am using less power, and am not subjected to so much heat. I briefly
considered having a dual display set up with the LCD and my old CRT, but I
nixed the idea. However, the option is always there since my video card can
handle it. I was going to put off buying an LCD until next year, but since
this BenQ was less than $250 Canadian, I figured why not. At that price, I
didn't feel there was a lot of risk on my part considering that the specs of
the 737s-D were fairly decent. I would have liked a 19" LCD, but again, I
hardly lost any viewable area compared to my old CRT.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I game with the Samsung Syncmaster 930B

- 19"
- 700:1 ratio
- analog/digital
- 8 ms response time

I have had no ghosting in any of the games I have played (ET, HL2, D3) with
this LCD. Incidentally, I'm using it with a 9800pro.

-phil

http://www.barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com/reviews/2004/hardware/vp201b/vp201b1.htm

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=231772

"Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Finally almost got enough cash to get a Flat panel monitor. i've got a
> budget of about £200, and i ideally want a 19" panel with at least 1152 x
> 864(higher would be prefered) native resolution or 11, course the reason i
> post here, is cause i want to game on it, and i don't want to start
messing
> with RMA's, i know about all the down sides of LCD's, but i do a lot of
> graphic and webdesign work, and the dam eye strain thing is killing me. so
> far i've seen the Benq FP 931, which is rated for 16ms, and costs about
> £185.
> Any tips, recommendations would be greatly welcome
> Thanks
> --
> "Blu-Ray"
> 2600+Sempron (O/C @2800+)
> 512Mb DDR 400 (running in sync with cpu @ 184)
> 9600 pro 128 (O/C @ 420/500)
> Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ
> Raidmax cobra case
> Dual 12" Blue CCFL
> Blue LED fans
> Arctic Cooler Copper 2L
> "Cheap and very cheerful"
> Check it out @
> www.russianspacestation.iwarp.com/blu-ray.htm
>
> Samsung 930B ,you wont regret it.

Bandit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 23:11:08 GMT, "Veritech"
<avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Finally almost got enough cash to get a Flat panel monitor. i've got a
>budget of about £200, and i ideally want a 19" panel with at least 1152 x
>864(higher would be prefered) native resolution or 11, course the reason i
>post here, is cause i want to game on it, and i don't want to start messing
>with RMA's, i know about all the down sides of LCD's, but i do a lot of
>graphic and webdesign work, and the dam eye strain thing is killing me. so
>far i've seen the Benq FP 931, which is rated for 16ms, and costs about
>£185.
>Any tips, recommendations would be greatly welcome
>Thanks

Try one of these they look ok :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824218001

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16824112164

thanks for all the recommendations, the exact samsung 930 model appears to
be US only, however the european equivilent looks to be the 913n
http://www.samsung.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecuk/product/product_detail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1532930331.1117992488@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddekgfhgkkcfekcefedffgdfmh.0&categoryPath=%2fSEUK+Products%2fIT+%26+Business+Related+Product%2fMonitor%2fTFT+LCD&prodID=SM913N%2fXEU

Not sure, but the specs are pretty close minus the DVI input, unfortunately
its about £50($100),( £250 or $500)) outside of my budget, and i would
prefer DVI, for future compatiblity issues.

Passed by this one
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/shopper/reviews/72786/lg-l1750h.html#backToTop
Its a 17" but its got DVI and the 1280 resloution, plus its pretty much on
budget. and not to bad looking,

thanks again
"Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Finally almost got enough cash to get a Flat panel monitor. i've got a
> budget of about £200, and i ideally want a 19" panel with at least 1152 x
> 864(higher would be prefered) native resolution or 11, course the reason i
> post here, is cause i want to game on it, and i don't want to start
> messing with RMA's, i know about all the down sides of LCD's, but i do a
> lot of graphic and webdesign work, and the dam eye strain thing is killing
> me. so far i've seen the Benq FP 931, which is rated for 16ms, and costs
> about £185.
> Any tips, recommendations would be greatly welcome
> Thanks
> --
> "Blu-Ray"
> 2600+Sempron (O/C @2800+)
> 512Mb DDR 400 (running in sync with cpu @ 184)
> 9600 pro 128 (O/C @ 420/500)
> Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ
> Raidmax cobra case
> Dual 12" Blue CCFL
> Blue LED fans
> Arctic Cooler Copper 2L
> "Cheap and very cheerful"
> Check it out @
> www.russianspacestation.iwarp.com/blu-ray.htm

Not sure if you get the same Dell deals, but you can get this: DELL
UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height
Adjustable Stand for $449 US through 6/8 with the following 40% off code:
SVLT1D6KSWVBLB

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=320-4111&c=us&cat=snp&category_id=6198&cs=04&l=en&mnf=694&Page=productlisting.aspx

> thanks for all the recommendations, the exact samsung 930 model appears to
> be US only, however the european equivilent looks to be the 913n
> http://www.samsung.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecuk/product/product_detail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1532930331.1117992488@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddekgfhgkkcfekcefedffgdfmh.0&categoryPath=%2fSEUK+Products%2fIT+%26+Business+Related+Product%2fMonitor%2fTFT+LCD&prodID=SM913N%2fXEU
>
> Not sure, but the specs are pretty close minus the DVI input,
> unfortunately its about £50($100),( £250 or $500)) outside of my budget,
> and i would prefer DVI, for future compatiblity issues.
>
> Passed by this one
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/shopper/reviews/72786/lg-l1750h.html#backToTop
> Its a 17" but its got DVI and the 1280 resloution, plus its pretty much on
> budget. and not to bad looking,
>
> thanks again
> "Veritech" <avis.dalrymple@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Finally almost got enough cash to get a Flat panel monitor. i've got a
>> budget of about £200, and i ideally want a 19" panel with at least 1152 x
>> 864(higher would be prefered) native resolution or 11, course the reason
>> i post here, is cause i want to game on it, and i don't want to start
>> messing with RMA's, i know about all the down sides of LCD's, but i do a
>> lot of graphic and webdesign work, and the dam eye strain thing is
>> killing me. so far i've seen the Benq FP 931, which is rated for 16ms,
>> and costs about £185.
>> Any tips, recommendations would be greatly welcome
>> Thanks
>> --
>> "Blu-Ray"
>> 2600+Sempron (O/C @2800+)
>> 512Mb DDR 400 (running in sync with cpu @ 184)
>> 9600 pro 128 (O/C @ 420/500)
>> Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ
>> Raidmax cobra case
>> Dual 12" Blue CCFL
>> Blue LED fans
>> Arctic Cooler Copper 2L
>> "Cheap and very cheerful"
>> Check it out @
>> www.russianspacestation.iwarp.com/blu-ray.htm

SERVO

Veritech wrote:
> Finally almost got enough cash to get a Flat panel monitor. i've got a
> budget of about £200, and i ideally want a 19" panel with at least 1152 x
> 864(higher would be prefered) native resolution or 11, course the reason i
> post here, is cause i want to game on it, and i don't want to start messing
> with RMA's, i know about all the down sides of LCD's, but i do a lot of
> graphic and webdesign work, and the dam eye strain thing is killing me. so
> far i've seen the Benq FP 931, which is rated for 16ms, and costs about
> £185.
> Any tips, recommendations would be greatly welcome
> Thanks
I do CAD work (and lots of gaming) on a Dell 2005FPW and have NO
complaints whatsoever.

--
Servo
"Happy trails, Hans!"