XP SP2 File sharing problem

I have two machines with XP Pro SP2 installed. Prior to installing SP2 I was
able to share folders and access the folders by specifying the machine\share
name. Now I get an access denied (even though permissions is set to allow
everyone full control) . I'm sure it has to do with the new security
features included with SP2, I just can't figure out how to get it back
without uninstalling the SP. Please help. Thanks.

Im guessing that you have the correct username/password account on BOTH
machines.

SP2 installs windows firewall...have you checked if it is enabled? and if it
is have you checked if the exceptions to the firewall to let file sharing
through?

--
"Talk Nerdy to Me"

"Phill" wrote:

> I have two machines with XP Pro SP2 installed. Prior to installing SP2 I was
> able to share folders and access the folders by specifying the machine\share
> name. Now I get an access denied (even though permissions is set to allow
> everyone full control) . I'm sure it has to do with the new security
> features included with SP2, I just can't figure out how to get it back
> without uninstalling the SP. Please help. Thanks.

I have turned simple file sharing off, the firewall is disabled, and the
should be no user/password since I have given "everyone" full control.

"Nick Leh" wrote:

> Im guessing that you have the correct username/password account on BOTH
> machines.
>
> SP2 installs windows firewall...have you checked if it is enabled? and if it
> is have you checked if the exceptions to the firewall to let file sharing
> through?
>

> --
> "Talk Nerdy to Me"
>

> "Phill" wrote:
>
> > I have two machines with XP Pro SP2 installed. Prior to installing SP2 I was
> > able to share folders and access the folders by specifying the machine\share
> > name. Now I get an access denied (even though permissions is set to allow
> > everyone full control) . I'm sure it has to do with the new security
> > features included with SP2, I just can't figure out how to get it back
> > without uninstalling the SP. Please help. Thanks.

Unshare the folder(s)....then share them again...dont modify the default
permissions
--
"Talk Nerdy to Me"

"Phill" wrote:

> I have turned simple file sharing off, the firewall is disabled, and the
> should be no user/password since I have given "everyone" full control.
>
> "Nick Leh" wrote:
>
> > Im guessing that you have the correct username/password account on BOTH
> > machines.
> >
> > SP2 installs windows firewall...have you checked if it is enabled? and if it
> > is have you checked if the exceptions to the firewall to let file sharing
> > through?
> >

> > --
> > "Talk Nerdy to Me"
> >

> > "Phill" wrote:
> >
> > > I have two machines with XP Pro SP2 installed. Prior to installing SP2 I was
> > > able to share folders and access the folders by specifying the machine\share
> > > name. Now I get an access denied (even though permissions is set to allow
> > > everyone full control) . I'm sure it has to do with the new security
> > > features included with SP2, I just can't figure out how to get it back
> > > without uninstalling the SP. Please help. Thanks.

Additionally, ensure that you've turned off simple file sharing.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Phill" <Phill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F757C500-B585-45A5-A895-E976DB20CA31@microsoft.com...
>I have two machines with XP Pro SP2 installed. Prior to installing SP2 I was
> able to share folders and access the folders by specifying the machine\share
> name. Now I get an access denied (even though permissions is set to allow
> everyone full control) . I'm sure it has to do with the new security
> features included with SP2, I just can't figure out how to get it back
> without uninstalling the SP. Please help. Thanks.

Gordon

>I have turned simple file sharing off, the firewall is disabled, and the
> should be no user/password since I have given "everyone" full control.

I think that if you turn off simple file sharing then you will HAVE to use
passwords.

dani

system restore to both machines, keep the dialog boxes and folders to both
machines up if possible or at least some way to track them. I would love to
know which folders they are. Please post back and let me know, this should
be interesting, you are fully updated with sp2 so you have some good system
tools for blocking this if you are game...4read the posts all over here, find
a sys restore point past 1 month, try to have a firewall that will stop its
movements, im sure you know how to use hardware profiles if you have a
network. Keep in touch and lets figure this thing out. < jeffosb@msn.com >
Please