Wireless Problem in Windows XP!

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 9, 2004 4:58:09 PM

Wireless Problem in Windows XP!

I am having a problem with setting up SOHO wilress
network(Infrastructure) with following systems.

Access Point: Buffalo Technology WBR2-G54
Repeater: Buffalo Technology WLA-G54C
Client Adapter: linksys-cisco Wireless-G PCI Adapter x 2 & Buffalo
Technology WLI-PCI-G54 x 1
Client Systems: Windows XP Pro & Home mixture.

Here are the problem.
1) On windows XP, I am having a problem with OS integrated wireless
managing software.
When I stop wireless zero configuration service on the XP then
everything stops working!!!

a. How does windows 2000 professional uses above client adapters? I used
to have cisco client adapter and it came with it's own client adapter
management tool which needed to be installed in order to set SSID + WEP
and signal strength monitor and lots of advanced features...

***: reason for needing to install manufacture's utility software is
that I am deploying INFRASTRUCTURE wifi network in the SOHO where
everyone near that office has their own Access Point. Stupid windows XP
is picking up other access point! See this is the problem...I want to
lock down my clients to only one access point but this isn't possible on
Windows XP!!! Please help!

Is it possible to stop "wireless zero configuration service" on windows
XP and install Windows 2000 utility to lock client into just single
access point + infrastructure mode?

I have configured SSID & WEP on windows XP but it keep picking up other
OPEN access point nodes!
Or is there's an any other way to stop my Windows XP from picking up
OPEN access point nodes(people are stupid and left their access point
open - there are about 10 access point found from the office)??? This
roaming feature of XP is hurting me pretty bad. I never had this problem
with Windows 2000 but my client's systems came preloaded with Windows XP!

Wireless guru help needed!

Oktokie
July 9, 2004 5:40:25 PM

Don't know about the Guru...but try this:
In the wireless config "advanced" set the preferences
to "only connect to infrastructure"
Disable the "automitically connect to non-prefferred
networks"
Make sure that your AP is the only one listed in the
prefferred networks.
That should do the trick !

!