Capturing Video and then getting it compressed to a reason..

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I can successfully capture video from my video camera through an AIW 9600XT
to file ....but the file size is tool arge for what it should be. Ive
captured a 1 minute video to mpg and it was 70 megs. Upon trying to compress
it ( ati or other software) it would give me various errors.

The video comes from a 3 yr old , fully functional home video camera ( Sony
CCD-TRV37 if relevant) and the quality is acceptable but file size is not.
Ive seen video clips of the same quality and time duration come out 5-10
megs and thats what I would like to aim for.

I tend to favor mpg over avi cause I never have to mess around with proper
codecs or what-not from what little ive learned but im still relatively new
at this.

If anybody has any advice on proper settings and compression techniques, I
would be most grateful.

---
Atlhon 1.4ghz , 512 ram
ATI AIW 9600xt
Maxtor 120gig
Video Source - Sony CCD-TRV37

Can't you use and/or create your own "presets" in the 'TV In' program?
Fairly older rig here now using a PIII@733 with a DDR 64VIVO (7200) and an
older driver/wdm/ccc package under 98SE.

I have/had no problems setting it up to capture to DivX and then played
around with the "size" (e.g. in my case I max out at 480x480 else dropped
frames). In fact, the lack of being able to select a suitable audio codec is
my main complaint cause it forces me to run it thru VirtualDub to encode the
audio to mp3 :)

I also have no problems selecting/editing one of the mpg2 options (again
setting it to 480x480 in my case to avoid dropped frames) for use as source
for a burned DVD created using Nero Vision.

I do run dual-boot 98SE/XP on said pc and although under XP it's using a
newer driver package, the results are more or less the same under either OS,
albeit it starts-up more reliably under XP, often 98SE it hangs forcing a
reboot then it works fine.

"Brad" <none@invalid.com> wrote in message
> I can successfully capture video from my video camera through an AIW
9600XT
> to file ....but the file size is tool arge for what it should be. Ive
> captured a 1 minute video to mpg and it was 70 megs. Upon trying to
compress
> it ( ati or other software) it would give me various errors.
>
> The video comes from a 3 yr old , fully functional home video camera (
Sony
> CCD-TRV37 if relevant) and the quality is acceptable but file size is not.
> Ive seen video clips of the same quality and time duration come out 5-10
> megs and thats what I would like to aim for.
>
> I tend to favor mpg over avi cause I never have to mess around with proper
> codecs or what-not from what little ive learned but im still relatively
new
> at this.
>
> If anybody has any advice on proper settings and compression techniques, I
> would be most grateful.
>
> ---
> Atlhon 1.4ghz , 512 ram
> ATI AIW 9600xt
> Maxtor 120gig
> Video Source - Sony CCD-TRV37

Vellu

The camera itself (and the capture software) might not even be capable
of more advanced (for example, mpeg4) compression techniques. But you
can use other programs to compress you MPG files in to various other
formats; DIVX or XVID are the most widely used mpeg4 family compressors
(usually to AVI package).

There are easy programs and there are difficult programs which can do
this. Check for example http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/guides.htm

Brad kirjoitti:
> I can successfully capture video from my video camera through an AIW 9600XT
> to file ....but the file size is tool arge for what it should be. Ive
> captured a 1 minute video to mpg and it was 70 megs. Upon trying to compress
> it ( ati or other software) it would give me various errors.
>
> The video comes from a 3 yr old , fully functional home video camera ( Sony
> CCD-TRV37 if relevant) and the quality is acceptable but file size is not.
> Ive seen video clips of the same quality and time duration come out 5-10
> megs and thats what I would like to aim for.
>
> I tend to favor mpg over avi cause I never have to mess around with proper
> codecs or what-not from what little ive learned but im still relatively new
> at this.
>
> If anybody has any advice on proper settings and compression techniques, I
> would be most grateful.
>
> ---
> Atlhon 1.4ghz , 512 ram
> ATI AIW 9600xt
> Maxtor 120gig
> Video Source - Sony CCD-TRV37

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> The camera itself (and the capture software) might not even be capable
> of more advanced (for example, mpeg4) compression techniques.

the software is the ATI MMC 9.xx so that should be able to do the
trick.(unless ATI's site has additional downloads i need).Its just that i
dont know which settings or format would be the best.

The camera shouldnt be an issue. Its just inputing the video and audio so it
should all fall on the AIW 9600xt and the updated ATI software.

> But you can use other programs to compress you MPG files in to various
> other formats; DIVX or XVID are the most widely used mpeg4 family
> compressors (usually to AVI package).
>
> There are easy programs and there are difficult programs which can do
> this. Check for example http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/guides.htm

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Can't you use and/or create your own "presets" in the 'TV In' program?

I can, and my first few captures came out at very large files so Im not sure
if thats gonna happen regardless and then the compression comes later or if
there is a setting to make the finished file be a compressed , reasonable
size.

"Brad" <none@invalid.com> wrote:

>> The camera itself (and the capture software) might not even be capable
>> of more advanced (for example, mpeg4) compression techniques.
>
>the software is the ATI MMC 9.xx so that should be able to do the
>trick.(unless ATI's site has additional downloads i need).Its just that i
>dont know which settings or format would be the best.
>
>The camera shouldnt be an issue. Its just inputing the video and audio so it
>should all fall on the AIW 9600xt and the updated ATI software.
>
>> But you can use other programs to compress you MPG files in to various
>> other formats; DIVX or XVID are the most widely used mpeg4 family
>> compressors (usually to AVI package).
>>
>> There are easy programs and there are difficult programs which can do
>> this. Check for example http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/guides.htm

Ati's codecs do not compress as much as divx or xvid. Get the xvid encoder for
the best video in the tightest file, IMO

BTW, you will need a fast machine to record and compress at the same time.

Dennis

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

"Brad" <none@invalid.com> wrote:

>I can successfully capture video from my video camera through an AIW 9600XT
>to file ....but the file size is tool arge for what it should be. Ive
>captured a 1 minute video to mpg and it was 70 megs. Upon trying to compress
>it ( ati or other software) it would give me various errors.
>
>The video comes from a 3 yr old , fully functional home video camera ( Sony
>CCD-TRV37 if relevant) and the quality is acceptable but file size is not.
>Ive seen video clips of the same quality and time duration come out 5-10
>megs and thats what I would like to aim for.
>
>I tend to favor mpg over avi cause I never have to mess around with proper
>codecs or what-not from what little ive learned but im still relatively new
>at this.
>
>If anybody has any advice on proper settings and compression techniques, I
>would be most grateful.
>
>---
>Atlhon 1.4ghz , 512 ram
>ATI AIW 9600xt
>Maxtor 120gig
>Video Source - Sony CCD-TRV37

I have a similar situation., I have captured two 3hr tv shows using
ATI MMC. one is about 4.1 megs saved as .vcr and the other about 10
megs saved as .mpeg.
Any ideas on what software will compress and burn to dvd. Also, how do
I handle the .vcr file?

Jon

Sounds like you simply need to create your own preset then. During that
process, if you picked AVI, you can specify the video codec (and it's
settings) to use. Compression is done on the fly.

P.S. define "large files". I'd expect an hr long video to be couple of
hundred megs no matter what, assuming it's kept to a viewable size, e.g.
least 400x400 or so. Make it 80x60 and it's considerably smaller size but
also very tiny to watch without blowing it up which causes gross pixelation.

> > Can't you use and/or create your own "presets" in the 'TV In' program?
>
> I can, and my first few captures came out at very large files so Im not
sure
> if thats gonna happen regardless and then the compression comes later or
if
> there is a setting to make the finished file be a compressed , reasonable
> size.

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> P.S. define "large files". I'd expect an hr long video to be couple of
> hundred megs no matter what, assuming it's kept to a viewable size, e.g.
> least 400x400 or so. Make it 80x60 and it's considerably smaller size but
> also very tiny to watch without blowing it up which causes gross
> pixelation.

As I had mentioned in my orginal post. A 1 minute clip was 70 megs for
decent quality, whereas I have seen the same quality and duration of other
video's but under 10 megs